PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Gauge Cluster

Armysweitzer
07-16-2003, 06:57 AM
Hi I'm in need of knowledge how to replace a guage cluster. I also dont know where to get one either :confused: . I was just wondering how much it would cost me and how hard it will be to replace it (kinda mechanicly inclinded):( . Anyway any reply from you wicked smart guys out there would be lovely and greatly apreciated. :bowdown:

Armysweitzer
07-16-2003, 07:20 PM
:aw:

Armysweitzer
07-17-2003, 07:02 AM
bump

Sil80girlie
07-17-2003, 07:03 AM
When in doubt, check Ebay. Seriously though, I got a new one from Ebay for about $40. I think. The only prob is the odometer.

niSm095
07-17-2003, 07:47 AM
it's not that hard to do, just get the plastic off from around the steering column, remove the two screws on the inside upper part of the gauge cluster and get that gauge surround out of there, then there's 3 screws holding the cluster in. I have one I can sell you if you'd like.

Armysweitzer
07-17-2003, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the replys!!!. I wanted to get one new, but if you guys dont know anywhere to get them then i certainly take it. Thanks again

niSm095
07-17-2003, 09:34 AM
you'll be hard pressed to find a brand new one. Unless you can find one from a dealership. Would you settle for a used one?

KiDyNomiTe
07-17-2003, 09:48 AM
For a better knowhow of where the screws are, go dl the fsm for the CA18 on the main page under technical.

Then find the instrument panel section (I think its under body (BF), but not sure).

It shows all the screws.

uiuc240
07-17-2003, 09:48 AM
Merry Christmas:

http://sr20.hybrids.jp/installations/instrument_cluster/index.html

http://www.car-part.com

Eric

sked707
07-21-2003, 03:53 PM
be carefull when you remove the black plastic thing around it. i cracked mine tryin to gently force it out....sux, oh well

niSm095
07-21-2003, 03:59 PM
you may need to unbolt and drop down the steering column as well to prevent hurting the black plastic.

s13driver
07-21-2003, 05:57 PM
just took mine out over the weekend by following the steps on the LS automotive website @ http://www.lsauto.com/install.asp

thx247
07-21-2003, 08:31 PM
I got one for sale I'll sell ya for a fair price. I don't need it anymore. The odometer I guess you may just have to have rolled back or just deal with it. You could always swap in the old one if you had to sell it and just explain on the bill of sale, or there probably is a legal way to do it. Anyway, hit me up if you like.

deviousKA
07-21-2003, 09:09 PM
check the wrecking yards FIRST. i got one for my s13 with 86,000 for $20. to install you have to remove the column plastic, and you have to remove the tilt wheel mehanism/lever. the plastic bezel around the guages is a pain the first time you do it so learn how to do it when your taking one out at the wrecking yard. you have to pull out all of your switches (lights, hazards, etc) pop the wire clips off and then take the screws out to remove bezel. after that you take out the screws on the gauges, pull it back and remove wire connections from back. only idiots that dont know how to work on their cars and force things crack their bezel. remember you have to remove the tilt wheel lever

KiDyNomiTe
07-22-2003, 10:19 AM
just replaced my cluster, and its simple I guess. I did it without lowering the steering column. I guess lowering the steering column would be the easiest and safest way.

But I had gotten into my car with the new cluster and a screwdriver, didnt feel like getting out to get more tools. So if you push the lever all the way down, I put my foot in the steering wheel to hold the wheel down (gave me a little extra space, plus the lever stayed at its lowest).

Then twist, bend, wiggle, do whatever you want and it'll come out. I cracked mine but just a little piece that you cant even see when its on. But it was a pain in the ***, and now I gotta take it off again to finish.

niSm095
07-22-2003, 05:41 PM
I still have some digital ones for sale if you want one.

Armysweitzer
07-22-2003, 06:57 PM
Thanks for all the replys guys!!. I still am undecided on what to buy but i will be in touch with those of you that made offers.

Thanks again!