PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Fan /w Shroud OR Dual Radiator Fans

240cracker
06-02-2010, 11:33 AM
I tried to search this but didnt really get the answer i was looking for....

iv heard two different things..

that your stock clutch fan and shroud will cool better with your after market radiator then dual electric fans. then i heard the opposite.

iv only ran dual fans but now i have a new set up and i want what cools best.

thanks

I LUV MY S13
06-02-2010, 11:34 AM
i think your better off with a clutch fan, doesnt take a load on the motor nor the alternator

chituntang
06-02-2010, 12:13 PM
It really does not matter IMO.
I have yet to see KA/SR/RB/whatever lost enough power w/ clutch/e fan(s), although some said that the extra power drawn by the e fan(s) may decrease the power for the ignition system. However, I believe that if you are driving at a speed this fast, the alternator will create enough power for both the e fan(s) and the ignition system (just my believe, look for experts' answer).
I have yet to see KA/SR/RB/whatever overheat due to clutch/e fan when cooling system and fan(s) are operating in the right manner.

JDM S's have clutch fan mostly because they do not have to swap motors. Why take away things that are working great?
We w/ swaped motors use e fan(s) because a lot of times, the motor does not come with the clutch fan and/or fan shroud (or they are damaged), and it is cheaper to replace them with e fan(s) with a thermos switch (or however you like to power them).

ATLspeed
06-02-2010, 08:09 PM
keep your clutch fan with shroud if its already on there. I only switch to electric fan (taurus fan) because I already have it. I will prob get altima fans only because I like to have that clearence in the engine bay (I work on my car alot when I get bored)

miravete
06-03-2010, 02:51 AM
just go with the sho taurus fan :)

NiSilS14
06-03-2010, 03:58 AM
I personally wouldn't go with a taurus. those things are amperage monsters. Besides it's said that the stock clutch fan pulls a comparable amount of airflow to the taurus fan. The only reason I would get rid of the clutch fan is to free up space, and maybe get rid of that truck sounding noise.

s14owner95
06-03-2010, 05:36 AM
I don't know that there is a definitive answer because basically I think they both work.. however, since I have been in Japan I have noticed that almost all the tuners run the stock fan and fan shroud. Kinda makes me want to have that when I go back to the states. I agree, having the electric fans will give you the room, but in terms of what works better.. even the Time Attack S-chassis here run with that stock fan.. just an observation

KiLLeR2001
06-03-2010, 08:24 AM
I had a bad experience with my clutch fan on my old KA24DE. Maybe the bolts were loose or something I'm not sure, but that thing flew apart under my engine bay and cut shit all up, that was a fun fix. After that I decided to go Altima fans, haven't had a problem in 2+ years.

Triperformance
06-03-2010, 08:33 AM
I went Shroud and stock Clutch/cupler fan with my swap. It was the cheeper choise and I havent even seen 190 degrees yet, then again I have a ECU that was tuned for 550 injectors and I have an all stock setup(havent boosted yet, waiting for SAFC NEO). Its your choice on what you want to do, do what you prefer.....consider everyone has issues with their cars so dont let one person turn you away from anything.

Black240Ct
06-03-2010, 08:35 AM
clutch fan and shroud. you wont over heat like most of the idiots who need to take their hoods off to keep engine temps down

jamanrr
06-03-2010, 09:36 AM
clutch fan and shroud. you wont over heat like most of the idiots who need to take their hoods off to keep engine temps down

I will doing this. One thing though is to make sure you have everything set right before you drop the shroud back in. That thing takes up hella space. Looking for some more consistent cooling temperatures. Thinking about using the NISMO thermostat too to see if it can help.

Soup Nazi
06-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Clutch fan with Shroud is best IMO. Don't believe that removing the clutch fan to free up horsepower BS.

The only plus IMO in removing the Clutch fan with shroud, is to free up room.

DALAZ_68
06-03-2010, 10:01 AM
although some said that the extra power drawn by the e fan(s) may decrease the power for the ignition system. However, I believe that if you are driving at a speed this fast, the alternator will create enough power for both the e fan(s) and the ignition system (just my believe, look for experts' answer).

if that were even the case...upgrading the alternator is a easy...

then again, most who "upgrade" the engine...dont, really, do anything with them to notice the difference...

japslapsilvia
06-03-2010, 11:38 AM
My 2 cents is this..

I don’t like clutch fans etc…BUT….does it work yes….is it reliable yes….is it efficient…..yes…(with a shroud)

On my car I run an electric fan….BUT I am using a shroud that I build specifically for my set-up….does it work…yes…is it efficient yes…is it reliable…..well…so far…I haven’t had any issues with it..
My set-up is this
Greddy MSS
Koyo
Single 12 inch fan with a custom shroud

That being said….

Most of the people that I see using electric fans….use them incorrectly…they are not designed to be on the radiator…ideally they should be placed at least an inch away from the radiators surface, and should be mounted to a shroud. Also they should never be set to run constantly, they should be on some sort of thermostat.

Now either way u go….stock or electric….ducting is truly the key element in cooling. Why….simply because when the car is moving more air will pass through the core then the fan can pull…so truly the fan is only supplementing in cooling off the radiator.

g6civcx
06-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Most of the people that I see using electric fans….use them incorrectly…they are not designed to be on the radiator…ideally they should be placed at least an inch away from the radiators surface, and should be mounted to a shroud. Also they should never be set to run constantly, they should be on some sort of thermostat.

Now either way u go….stock or electric….ducting is truly the key element in cooling. Why….simply because when the car is moving more air will pass through the core then the fan can pull…so truly the fan is only supplementing in cooling off the radiator.

I agree. If the vehicle is moving quickly enough, a spinning fan can actually create a high pressure area directly behind the radiator. Air will go around the radiator instead going through the radiator.

efans should be on some kind of thermoswitch to prevent constant operation.

shinobis13hb
06-03-2010, 12:18 PM
to each his own i guess. i am using altima fans ATM havent had a problem. jsut get a better thermostat and choose witch ever you like. HAS someone compared the 2 (e-fan and clutch fan) that has a aftermarket temp gauge? please share if you have noticed a cooler temp with your e-fan vs clutch ONLY if you have a aftermarket temp gauge

japslapsilvia
06-03-2010, 12:23 PM
to each his own i guess. i am using altima fans ATM havent had a problem. jsut get a better thermostat and choose witch ever you like. HAS someone compared the 2 (e-fan and clutch fan) that has a aftermarket temp gauge? please share if you have noticed a cooler temp with your e-fan vs clutch ONLY if you have a aftermarket temp gauge

there was a big comparasion done a while ago...on FA i believe where several radiators were tested as well as fans...

g6civcx
06-03-2010, 12:26 PM
there was a big comparasion done a while ago...on FA i believe where several radiators were tested as well as fans...

Some empirical evidence were presented but it wasn't really scientific.

Use what works for you.