PDA

View Full Version : Cutting stock spring?

zombieman
07-15-2003, 09:08 PM
have anybody cut their stock springs? I'm planning to go cheapskate because i don't want to pay $100 for cheap springs and also the fact i don't have a job for coilovers right now. if anybody done it, have much inches should i cut so that the tires won't wear badly from negative camber. thanks in advance to anybody who can help me.

Dousan_PG
07-15-2003, 09:23 PM
camber doesnt kill tires, toe does
get an alignment after changing ride height/suspension

cant tell u exact amount (cuz i dont know). get a few sets of stock springs and try w/ each. if you do it right you'll be very pleased. i know people who have done it and it rides great.

AceInHole
07-16-2003, 01:08 PM
for the most part when cutting springs... you want to keep the dampeners from bottoming out. Since the stock springs aren't very stiff to begin with (114lbs??) you won't have a lot to work with. Old school tuners I've talked to in the past generally suggest cutting half coils off at a time.

misnomer
07-16-2003, 03:38 PM
Cutting springs rarely yields good results, most of the time folks go too far with it. You try to go too low an you bounce down the highway and blow your struts. You can improve looks a bit and lower your center of gravity, but don't expect ground breaking change. Another thing to keep in mind is it will put greater strain on your shocks and struts, expect to replace them sooner.

Red
07-17-2003, 08:58 AM
Plz dont bring spring cutting to nissan!

I dont see how they could help. But I could be wrong.

Dousan_PG
07-17-2003, 09:01 AM
escaflowne on freshalloy has cut springs and it is great im told
his car blows away 90% of the members on this board

its the TV2 coupe. decked out.
took lots of attempts and lots of springs to get it right :)

driftingpanda
07-17-2003, 04:12 PM
i'd highly recommend against cutting stock springs. stock units are wound and bent to seat the perches in a certain way, if you cut the upper portion of the rear spring, or upper/lower portion of the front spring, they will not seat correctly, and will have a good chance of popping out of the perch. some after market springs (with more coils, generally acting as spacers), can be cut a few coils with no problems, but cutting the stock is not a very good idea. i bought a parts car a while back, it came with cut stock springs, i installed temporarily it on one of my s13's, and i never felt safe in it... not even at rolling speeds. one of the front springs also had a tendency to pop in and out when turning.

don't do it! buy some ebay springs if you have to... hope that helps.

-danny