PDA

View Full Version : weird over heated - searched with no specific answer

JBao
05-31-2010, 10:11 AM
ok So this might be a quick question..

i have an auto s14 with 190k miles. It heats up every once in awhile and has been doing so for over a year now. the only time it will over heat is in BAD traffic or going uphill on a hot day after driving around some.

to get it to cool down while running, all I have to do is turn on the heater and use grandma style driving to get the car up to speed where i can get proper airflow - cools down within seconds...

I'm assuming it is the clutch fan and if it is, how do i fix it?
Just replace? Glue the clutch engaged?

I just want my a/c back. summer is getting too hot and i've dealt with it last summer. didn't have a problem with it during winter but now it is starting to get hot again.

edit* Ive already replaced the thermostat and bled the pipes completely.

brokens13
05-31-2010, 10:45 AM
if you can spin your fan when the car is off with no resistance or when you turn it off it keeps spinning, your clutch is toasted. Check the junk yard for a good one or someone might have one on here.

JBao
05-31-2010, 10:50 AM
how much resistance? It doesn't freely spin like it's on a ball bearing but i don't have to like force anything...it feels like there is some but how much resistance can we call no resistance?

FaLKoN240
05-31-2010, 01:40 PM
What other simple things have you checked before assuming that it's your clutch fan?

If the fan is seized it could be your water pump as well.

Bigsyke
05-31-2010, 04:56 PM
Get the system pressure tested, any leaks will draw in air when cooled. What kind of coolant are you running? Most conventional coolants will burn right through the water pump. I use honda Type II, best coolant on the market.