PDA

View Full Version : RB30 - Any experiences?

AgaricX
07-14-2003, 08:38 AM
Well, my 94 convertible is sitting engineless and transmissionless.

Through sheer luck and someone else's stupidity, I have come to own a complete RB30E from a good ol' VL Commodore. It's in great shape and I'd love to drop it in the S13.

As of now, the engine and car are separated by about 400 miles. Before I tow my car down here to start a-swappin', I thought I'd get all the info from the board that I could.

Has anyone had experiences with this swap?

Just to let you know, yes, I will be putting the head/cam setup from a RB25DET (R33) on it to take full advantage of VCT and the twin cams. I know that its not a super-direct bolton, but it's not that complex.

I've got about 4 different walkthroughs for the rebuild (pretty cake), but none on the swap. I know it's common for skylines, as the mounts should be virtually identical. How about our beauties?

Who would be the best supplier for mounts and wiring? I hate fab'ing.

Any transmission suggestions? Nothings unattainable, I'm looking for ease of install rather than cheapest.

AKADriver
07-14-2003, 09:16 AM
COOL!!!

If it's a straight swap in a Skyline, then likely all you need to do is follow the swap procedure for any other RB into an S13. There are a few writeups... Most of them involve using a Skyline (R33?) front crossmember, IIRC.

AgaricX
07-14-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by AKADriver
COOL!!!

If it's a straight swap in a Skyline, then likely all you need to do is follow the swap procedure for any other RB into an S13. There are a few writeups... Most of them involve using a Skyline (R33?) front crossmember, IIRC.

That's the general impression I get from what I've read. Nothing seems to be as easy as it seems...

That is why I'm searching for some firsthand experiences.

Prok0
07-14-2003, 11:05 AM
I was looking into the rb30 with 25 head and I found this article...It may help you.

http://www.meggala.com/RB30head.htm

AgaricX
07-14-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Prok0
I was looking into the rb30 with 25 head and I found this article...It may help you.

http://www.meggala.com/RB30head.htm

Yup. That's where I actually found out that you can DOHC VCT the RB30.

Still no help with the swap, though. I mailed the webmaster to see if he had any info. No reply yet.

the head
07-14-2003, 12:35 PM
mckinny motor sports
http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com/
they have done a few RB swaps they should be able to help you out

payingfors14
07-14-2003, 01:32 PM
what car does rv30 come from? i didn't know it existed.

AKADriver
07-14-2003, 02:01 PM
He just said. RB30E came from an '80s Holden Commodore, an Australian GM sedan. It was also sold in Australian-market versions of the R31 Skyline. The Holden even had a turbo option (RB30ET!).

AutoDestruct
07-14-2003, 03:23 PM
I am in awe. This whole subject came out of right field. 450 Hp off 15 pounds. Almost makes the RB swap a option. :(

AutoDestruct
07-14-2003, 03:25 PM
Holy Sh*t! it says I'm a Junkie. thats the funniest thing I've ever seen.:mad: F*cking Reality:mad: :mad: :eek:

Uniac
07-14-2003, 08:00 PM
ok first lings first, should be the same as swaping in the rb25, BUT i hope you like running without a hood cause it won't fit under. The block is 10mm taller than the 25 or 26, so be prepaired to cut and modify that hood of yours.

If you want to talk to some good people ask the guys at skylinesdownunder.co.nz

the swap has been throughluy discussed.

And if anyone else is interested they can help you find a nice series 2 block starting at like 300$usd.

have fun.

AgaricX
07-16-2003, 12:38 AM
Yeah, I'll design the hood post-swap.

I was hoping to use the same mounts as the other RBs use and it seems I can.

Any transmission suggestions? The conv. auto is GONE!!!! thank god..

I'll also be reinforcing the frame. Has anyone done so? I haev reinforced cars when cutting the top off (to make a convertible), but I've never reinforced a car with a driveshaft runnign down the length. Does anyone have suggestions in this realm?

AKADriver
07-16-2003, 07:43 AM
Transmission? RB20DET or RB25DET, that's about all that'd fit.

The best way IMO to reinforce the frame would be an 8-point cage :)

AgaricX
07-16-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by AKADriver
Transmission? RB20DET or RB25DET, that's about all that'd fit.

The best way IMO to reinforce the frame would be an 8-point cage :)

Yeeees, but it's a convertible. I think it whould look a bit strange.

AKADriver
07-16-2003, 02:32 PM
convertibles look BEST with cages :)

the head
07-17-2003, 10:35 AM
subframe connectors and a hoop style roll bar i know they use that setup on f-body convert drag cars saleen does it too

AKADriver
07-17-2003, 11:15 AM
the 240SX already has 'subframe connectors'... the frame rails go all the way from front to rear.