PDA

View Full Version : Fresh KADE

RichK14
05-25-2010, 09:55 AM
I recently helped a buddy rebuild a KA for his S13. We got all new parts for the bottom end aside from rods and a crank. Top end is all stock parts, the only thing we replace was valve seals, plugs, and wires. I also installed a new timing chain assy/tensioner.

When we went to start it, it cranked right up. I followed the FSM to the smallest details when installing the chain/distributor. We had an exhaust leak, fixed it. It had pretty substaintial valve clatter - I primed the oil pump and most of it went away. I took a timing gun to it, and put it at FSM specs. I then decided it was time to take it down the street. I pulled it out of the garage and gave it a go. It felt like it wanted to bog out, almost as if it were missing.

I almost want to blame it on the timing for the simple fact I've never timed a car before and I was unconfident in my abilities, but i've looked the timing setup over and I cant find a problem. I also checked the ignition system, wires and plugs are good, fuel filter is semi-new. One issue may be that the car sat for a just shy of a year, could bad gas be the culprit?

Bottom line: What could be other possible causes of it running bad?

RichK14
06-02-2010, 06:31 AM
Bump, anyone have any input?

modulation
06-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Bump, anyone have any input?

The gasoline now days since it has ethonal in it tends to suck alot more moisture from the air. I'd think about getting some heet treatment for the gas or flushing the tank or something.

You sure the timing is 20 degrees before top dead center with the TPS unplugged? the notch should be the one furthest to the right on the pulley.

RichK14
06-03-2010, 09:56 AM
I haven't tried timing it with the TPS unplugged, can you elaborate on the procedure? I was taking a shot in the dark yesterday and changed the TPS and distributor and got better results, though it seems the timing is still off even after restabbing the distributor. If I get it to idle at a normal RPM, it bogs down on throttle, but if I get it to normally respond to throttle, it idles around 2.5-3k RPM.

I did some more looking around and figured out I had a bad plug wire and fuel filter, so I swapped those out and it ran smoother.

Another issue has popped up since then though, once I got it to run decently, it began to get hot, not overheating status but hotter than it should be, and I noticed a hissing out of a coolant hose. The hose is located on the "T" that the top radiator hose connects to near the intake manifold. Said hose is at the 9 o' clock position and routes down toward the TB. I also suspect there is some sort of vacuum leak. When given throttle, it'll rev to XXXX RPM, go back down when throttles released and rev back up to the RPM it was at on its own.

So, some problems fixed, others arise. Overheat, timing (?), and vacuum leak(?) Anyone care to take a shot and help a brutha out?

/RK

project-D180
06-04-2010, 09:37 PM
spray some soapy water on ther vacuum line or break clean,squeeze the coolant hoses make sure there is no hole in them..and clean ya iac or replace that will cause idle to bug out from what i've seen in the past