PDA

View Full Version : middle of turbo install...

Tictakman
07-13-2003, 01:00 AM
hey ive got some questions about my turbo that im running. its a t3 with a tial 35mm wastegate.

i need to know where to run cooling lines to and from the turbo, ive heard of the tb lines...where on it are they located?

ive got a boost guage and wanted to know where the best place to run a line to. location would be a great help.

about my bov, ive got a run of the mill bov, not sure the make but it doesnt seem to be working.... i have it about 1 foot away from the tb but it makes no blow off. now i really havent pushed the car (only 4 grand) but i can hear the wategate actuate or is the the bov? can u hear the wastegate dump?

also ive let the car run for a little bit and im getting some oil on the bottom of the turbo exhaust side. does that sound like something youve heard of? what i think is that i have a leak and its running down to that point. any input there would help

another thing, when i first started the car it was idling funny i guess bc it had to get used to it, then i gave it a bit of gas and after i did that the car stalled. does the computer have to adjust to the turbo or what?

thanks guys...

Zak

s13silady
07-13-2003, 10:57 AM
sounds like the same problem i had...
is your turbo oil cooled or oil/water cooled?

good place to run boost gauge i think would be the wastegate vaccuum line.. anyone else think differently?

your BOV should be on the hotpipe and not the cold side... thats why your not making any sound.. the other sound your hearing is wastegate flutter (which i might add is a very SEXY sound)...
if your wastegate is vented to atmosphere, then yah you'll here it dump...

what part of the exhaust side are you getting oil on? di you make sure that your oil feed and return are on tight with liquid gasket???
ive heard of a little bit of oil in your pipes is normal with a turbo car...

if youve got oil in your intercooler piping then your turbo seals are shot...

you most likely have a vaccum leak causing the bad idle and the stalling...

give more details on your install and houw you did everything... some others will help you out... just give a little more detail...

240racer
07-13-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Tictakman
hey ive got some questions about my turbo that im running. its a t3 with a tial 35mm wastegate.

i need to know where to run cooling lines to and from the turbo, ive heard of the tb lines...where on it are they located?

the tb coolant lines are below the tb itself, there is a u-shaped piece of hose that connects the two metal lines. replace the u-shaped hose with two hoses, one to and one back from your turbo.

ive got a boost guage and wanted to know where the best place to run a line to. location would be a great help.

the best place for the boost gauge is in the manifold, that way you know the excact manifold pressure. if you run it before the inercooler and piping, then you will know the pressure before that stuff, which will be higher then the manifold. Also, if your butterfly valve is closed, the pressure before it will be higher then the pressure after it. I tapped into a exsisting vacuum line off the manifold.

about my bov, ive got a run of the mill bov, not sure the make but it doesnt seem to be working.... i have it about 1 foot away from the tb but it makes no blow off. now i really havent pushed the car (only 4 grand) but i can hear the wategate actuate or is the the bov? can u hear the wastegate dump?

I don't know what the wastegate dump is? However, whenever you drop throttle when under boost and the car makes a noise like air is flowing somewhere then that's the blow off valve. They all sound different. if you make more then 3psi (or so) of boost, and drop throttle, then it should blow off.

also ive let the car run for a little bit and im getting some oil on the bottom of the turbo exhaust side. does that sound like something youve heard of? what i think is that i have a leak and its running down to that point. any input there would help

another thing, when i first started the car it was idling funny i guess bc it had to get used to it, then i gave it a bit of gas and after i did that the car stalled. does the computer have to adjust to the turbo or what?

do you have your bov vent to atmosphere or is it routed back into the intake right after the mafs? if not, then that could be your problem. Otherwise check your timing and stuff. The computer should not have to learn anything because of the turbo, all it does is read the amount of air coming in the mafs and inject a proper amount of fuel depending on throttle position and engine rpm.

240racer
07-13-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by s13silady
good place to run boost gauge i think would be the wastegate vaccuum line.. anyone else think differently?

you most likely have a vaccum leak causing the bad idle and the stalling...

you don't want to run your wastegate vacuum line where it will get vacuum, for instance from the manifold. I did this originally and broke the wastegate actuator. You want to run the wastegate line before the butterfly valve. The boost gauge is best placed in the manifold, so you know if you are running above or below atmoshperic pressure.

I agree with the vacuum leak causing problems, check all your lines. The boost gauge if mounted in the manifold should read vacuum at idle, then you can see if you have a leak. You should be able to get above 20inches of vacuum.

Tictakman
07-13-2003, 04:01 PM
well here is the latest...
i took off the turbo and looked at it closely. i checked the oil in and out on the turbo and there were no oily spots there. i notice oil in the intake side and again on the housing of the exhaust... this tells me that the seals are bad?? did i maybe get a lemon turbo w bad seals?

which side is the hot side? is it between the compressor and ic or after where the pipe goes to the tb? right now im not running an ic.

my wastegate has a 4lb spring in it and does have a atmospheric waste so i guess thats what i hear so well.

as for stalling, im not sure whats going on, when i give it gas to 4 grand its fine but when i idle down it stalls. vaccuum leak?

also is there a way i should prep a new turbo before i run it? i added some oil before i turned over the car but i guess that didnt help.

overall it ran pretty damn good. i was impressed with just 4/5 lbs of boost and i didnt even mash the gas yet.

if anyone wants to see some pics then ill send you the ones i have.

later

Zak

s13silady
07-14-2003, 04:07 AM
listen to 240racer as well but for your last post...

i took off the turbo and looked at it closely. i checked the oil in and out on the turbo and there were no oily spots there. i notice oil in the intake side and again on the housing of the exhaust... this tells me that the seals are bad?? did i maybe get a lemon turbo w bad seals?

a little oil is ok from what ive heard. but if the oil is reaching your intercooler then its the oil seals..

which side is the hot side? is it between the compressor and ic or after where the pipe goes to the tb? right now im not running an ic.

its between the compressor and the IC..

as for the rest of your questions, read 240racer's post... his info is very helpful...
is your BOV atmospheric or does it route anywhere?

Tictakman
07-14-2003, 02:05 PM
ok ill check it out again... my bov is atmospheric.

there is a little too much oil for my liking and plus it is seeping out from the center housing and exhaust compressor side housing.

Zak

240racer
07-14-2003, 07:12 PM
you need to route the bov vented air back to the intake after the mafs, since it's metered air. venting to atmosphere works on cars with speed density air flow meters.

Tictakman
07-14-2003, 07:36 PM
what BOV are you running? are you talking about a diverter valve or some type?

im going to upgrade the bov soon to a hks super sequential, will that one be able to vent back into the intake?

Zak

240racer
07-14-2003, 10:02 PM
I just have the OEM bov from a '87 supra turbo. It's a cheap little plastic thing, but works just fine. I haven't really looked into other ones, so I don't know how to route all of them back into the intake, I know there are many you can't, then you just have to account for that somehow. the apex s-afc is supposed to be able to do that, but I haven't gotten it to work on my car. most turbo cars should use a speed density system that uses a manifold absolute pressure sensor to monitor airflow. That's why most bovs vent to atmosphere. Any oem bov from a supra, dsm or something should work fine, since they all came with mafs and need it rerouted so the air is accounted for.

Tictakman
07-15-2003, 01:38 PM
oh i see. got another question for ya...

why did you choose the safc over the other fuel management systems?

im thinking about ordering mine tomorrow and just wanted to know if it was good.

was the safc II hard to wire?

Zak