PDA

View Full Version : Noise Coming From Left Rear After Spring Install!

SR240SXT
07-09-2003, 08:20 PM
Hey all, I recently installed Eibach Pro kit springs on my 97 myself. The drop is awesome in the front, but I wish it was tinch lower in the rear, but it'll probably settle after awhile. Anyways, since I've installed the springs I have this noise coming from the rear left around 2-4K RPM only while accelerating. Its a fast ticking sound, sounds like metal on metal. I took out the strut/spring assembly tonight and reinstalled it double checking all the bolts to make sure they're real tight. I shook it up and down, left to right, no noise while I was shaking it all around. This didn't happen before the install and I don't know what it could be. And yes I did put all the parts back on the assembly from the spring install that I might have forgotten. Any suggestions? Thanks for the time.

Dunkee
07-10-2003, 08:08 AM
I don't think it's your springs. Sounds like the heat shields by your car's exhaust need to be cut. BTW, you should have post this in Tech. You'll get more replies.

240meowth
07-11-2003, 09:47 AM
since it is a ticking sound at a certain RPM, i'd assume it's a lose peice of something on your car, and like sr240sxt said, it could be your exhaust heat shield, since it is located at the rear driver side.

another possibilty is that your wheel is rubbing against something, and at higher speed you just can't hear it. It could be anything from the rubber boot on the shock or maybe your wheels is scartching against the brake dust sheild around the disk brake, and i'd also check the brake disk to see any ususal wear, it could be your brake pads dieing.

SR240SXT
07-11-2003, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the replies. Why would my exhaust heat shields all of a sudden do that after the drop? Also if it is the wheel rubbing against something, why would it only happen when I accelerate? Could I jack the rear up and turn the engine on and run the car in gear to see if it does it then?

Dunkee
07-14-2003, 06:37 AM
It's your heat shields. It's very common w/ our cars. It probably had nothing to do w/ lowering your car, it was just that time of your 240's life that the heat shields begin rattling. Just get them cut or bang'em out. You can hear it if while you open your hood and accelerate the car. It will always do it at a certain RPM...mine did it at 3000.