PDA

View Full Version : went out on a track day then blew out clutch or tranny?

SilviaSR20DET
05-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Okay i was attending an scca event and as i was going at high speeds on the back straight away and something gave out. I think it all happened when i was downshifting from third to second gear. It made alot of metal to metal noises and i can feel it alot in the clutch pedal and shifter. Definately had some clutch smelling noises. I was using a stage 2 exedy and was rarely used, probably around 20k miles on it dailying and no track use. Any idea of what might have gave out? Tranny still shifts fine, and is still able to drive just LOTS of noise sounds pretty harsh when i shift or let the clutch out.

ericcastro
05-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Pull the transmission off and look at the clutch.

what does this mean?
"Definately had some clutch smelling noises"

???

Thats your description, and you want people to trouble shoot it?
Take a minute, actually describe what EXACTLY happens, when the sounds happen, what the clutch feels like, and we might have a chance to help.

Otherwise my answer is,
Definately is some clutch transmission fixes.

sliderite
05-04-2010, 09:54 AM
i bet a spring popped out of the clutch disc...............

DALAZ_68
05-04-2010, 10:03 AM
i bet the same thing...either that, or some bolts wernt torque'd to spec

SilviaSR20DET
05-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Yeah i think it actually may have been the spring! Ill have to pull the tranny again.... i hope its not a busted tranny though. Anyhow when im driving or cruising their isnt noise at all but when shifting down or up is when the noise happens. The clutch feels like normal pressure just i can feel the vibration on the pedal. Its when i let the clutch out is when the noise is violent. So i think its something to do with the clutch. I torqued everything and even applied threadlock on the bolts. Thanks for the help guys, i guess my question can only be solved if i actually take off the tranny. I thought maybe i could have an idea what to look for when i open it up.