PDA

View Full Version : is it bad?

thrasher324
05-02-2010, 10:33 PM
that i put like 6 quarts in a rb25 when it suppose to be like 4.5 quarts? after i put a jug of mobile 1 which is 5 quarts, my dip stick still seems a little low. little bit below the middle between high and low. so i put another quart or so

keistyle
05-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Yes, this is bad.

turbotofu
05-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Are you losing that much oil after driving, or as soon as you put the oil in...?

Either way, bad lol

GSXRJJordan
05-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Did you run the car after filling it up, and before measuring?

Either way, you need to drain that quart. Being a little overfull is fine, but that's going to put extra stresses on all your lower end bearings.

rebornS14
05-02-2010, 10:55 PM
check your oil filter and oil filter block. sometimes the rubber gaskets gets stuck on either side and you have double gaskets and it messes with the oil levels. i dont know how or why but it does. its something i picked up working at a oil change place back when i was a teen.

BoostSlideWayz
05-02-2010, 10:56 PM
your rings are bad !!! nah but theres smoke out the exhaust then your rings really are bad and that would explain the loss of oil but other than that if theres no leaks that you can see then i would be stumped.

thrasher324
05-03-2010, 05:23 AM
no its just after i turn the car on for few seconds. i guess 5 quarts will do it? does it make a difference on the dipstick after driving?

Walperstyle
05-03-2010, 06:55 AM
Generally you want to check the oil when the car has not been running for a while

reason: All the oil will be in the oil pan

fullthrottle
05-03-2010, 07:11 AM
Generally you want to check the oil when the car has not been running for a while

reason: All the oil will be in the oil pan
You are wrong you want the oil to be hot so it all goes to the pan with ease.

thrasher324
05-03-2010, 01:01 PM
so i should drive till its warmed up then check?

cotbu
05-03-2010, 01:42 PM
No! let it sit, then check the level!
ITAJ?
If you know how to read a warm engine, then you'll will know if you need to add or drain oil.

shiftdrift
05-03-2010, 01:46 PM
you want to check the oil after your car is warmed up idiot.....warm it up, shut the car off and check it.

Sileighty_85
05-03-2010, 05:57 PM
You are wrong you want the oil to be hot so it all goes to the pan with ease.

you want to check the oil after your car is warmed up idiot.....warm it up, shut the car off and check it.

Are ya'll serious? If you are your both idoits

You do it on a cold engine when the oil has had time to drain back into the pan.

If you start the engine and then check it when you shut it off then some of the oil is gonna be in the head giving you an inaccurate reading, when you could have just checked it when it cold.

OP- check it after 1 1/2 -2 hours just to be safe or check it when you wake up.

ALSO make sure your on a flat level ground when you fill or check the Oil, The car being parked on Sloped surfaces will cause inaccurate readings

thrasher324
05-03-2010, 06:42 PM
yeah that makes perfect sense lol. i guess everyone has their own way to check their oil level. how much oil do you put in your rb sileighty?

Sileighty_85
05-03-2010, 06:58 PM
yeah that makes perfect sense lol. i guess everyone has their own way to check their oil level. how much oil do you put in your rb sileighty?

Nah man there is only one way.

well Ive yet to install mine due to rebuilding it..... and Im waiting on Yury to finish the pre-made harnesses

But I will fill towhatever the FSM states. But it almost sounds like you have a different Dip Stick.

sliptones629
05-03-2010, 08:41 PM
you dont somehow have a larger than oem oil pan do you? Or a pan spacer? I dont know anything about your setup. If you bought the whole thing from someone, the car with the rb from someone or a stock front clip. Its a possibility. And yes, please check your oil on a level surface and when the car is cooled for a good amount of time. Think about it.

thrasher324
05-03-2010, 09:03 PM
yeah its stock everything