PDA

View Full Version : External wastegate ?

kciD giB
04-29-2010, 08:50 PM
I use a 2871r turbo with internal WG, t25 flange I was going to get a cheap megan or isis exhaust manifold , plasma cut a quick hole , weld the flange on make it external gated to get rid of the creepyness.

bad idea? help plz

jspaeth
04-29-2010, 09:00 PM
I use a 2871r turbo with internal WG, t25 flange I was going to get a cheap megan or isis exhaust manifold , plasma cut a quick hole , weld the flange on make it external gated to get rid of the creepyness.

bad idea? help plz

literally, one of the worst ideas ever. wasting money on a shit brand manifold and then rigging up a shitty "external" wastegate setup...

Just leave it.

Or upgrade to an HKS wastegate actuator.

I don't understand how people are having trouble with boost creep on this turbo, honestly.

Get a better boost controller?

What kind are you running now?

(let me guess, manual)

kciD giB
04-29-2010, 09:10 PM
greddy e 01, but it wouldnt be a shitty job, nice tig etc

jspaeth
04-29-2010, 09:21 PM
greddy e 01, but it wouldnt be a shitty job, nice tig etc

Hmmm I dunno man, I am not a fan of that, a lot of people also feel it is booty to do it that way....

Honestly, nearly all of the the best (wide, useable powerbands) 2871R setups are by people who keep the stock manifold.

j20accord00
04-29-2010, 09:29 PM
i agree, i had both 2871s and both had the hks actuator..always ran a stock manifold.

now i had heard a few years back about people gaining hp with just adding an external gate, like an extra 60hp. idk though, i personally never tried it

I run a 46 trim on my ka with an external gate and i do like it.

kciD giB
04-29-2010, 09:55 PM
stock manifold is best for 2871? i dont think so, maybe better than a megan one ...i dono, i just dont want the creep

jspaeth
04-30-2010, 08:34 AM
stock manifold is best for 2871? i dont think so, maybe better than a megan one ...i dono, i just dont want the creep

Yes it is, ask anyone on hear that actually knows their shit.

You MAY gain 20-30 peak hp with a tubular manifold, but you will lose a substantial amount of midrange torque OVER A WIDE RANGE, so that overall, it is not worth it.

Ask around man

brian3676
04-30-2010, 04:30 PM
Stock mani is the best mani out there for anything under abour 400HP. You can also hone it out and make it flow very nicely. If you really want a external wastgate, cut a hole in the top of the stock mani, and weld on a flange right there. I know a few people with gt2871, 2876 ect with a stock mani with a wastgate welded onto it.

jspaeth
04-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Stock mani is the best mani out there for anything under abour 400HP. You can also hone it out and make it flow very nicely. If you really want a external wastgate, cut a hole in the top of the stock mani, and weld on a flange right there. I know a few people with gt2871, 2876 ect with a stock mani with a wastgate welded onto it.

Again a lot of people DO this, but it is a pretty booty way to do it if you ask me...

S14DB
04-30-2010, 07:55 PM
T2 internal gate should be fine till you step up to a GT30 series.

gearhead55
04-30-2010, 08:03 PM
Again a lot of people DO this, but it is a pretty booty way to do it if you ask me...

Why though? If it is welded well what are the downsides? I'm thinking about doing this to my RB25 manifold when i run a 3076r.

jspaeth
04-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Why though? If it is welded well what are the downsides? I'm thinking about doing this to my RB25 manifold when i run a 3076r.

Bc the location of the bung/outlet on the manifold, as well as the angle that the gases must turn to exit, are both critical.

Ideally you want to pull gases from a spot that is after the collector, so that you are not preferentially reducing backpressure on one cylinder over all of the others....

Also, I read in a few different resources that ideally, the wastegate outlet should be at a 45* angle to the natural flow of the exhaust gases.

gearhead55
05-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Alright i see. So it would be a really poor design in terms of flow. I just like the idea of using the stock exhaust manifold cause wanna keep as much midrange as i can, but i want an external wastegate. Have my cake and eat it too i guess.

jspaeth
05-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Alright i see. So it would be a really poor design in terms of flow. I just like the idea of using the stock exhaust manifold cause wanna keep as much midrange as i can, but i want an external wastegate. Have my cake and eat it too i guess.

Check out the "special external wastegate turbine housing" on ATP's website.

It is a 0.72 A/R turbine housing for the GT2871R for example, with a V-ban 44 mm flange for exteranl gate ON the turbine housing.

I may be doing this soon....waiting to hear about fitment from someone else.

gearhead55
05-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Check out the "special external wastegate turbine housing" on ATP's website.

It is a 0.72 A/R turbine housing for the GT2871R for example, with a V-ban 44 mm flange for exteranl gate ON the turbine housing.

I may be doing this soon....waiting to hear about fitment from someone else.

To quote the Dude from the Big Lebowski: "Now thats fucking interesting man..."

I've never seen that, i don't have a ton of clearance around the turbo, but that might work. I wish companies let you buy shit, test fit it, and give it back if it doesn't fit.

jspaeth
05-01-2010, 06:50 PM
To quote the Dude from the Big Lebowski: "Now thats fucking interesting man..."

I've never seen that, i don't have a ton of clearance around the turbo, but that might work. I wish companies let you buy shit, test fit it, and give it back if it doesn't fit.

Check out this thread:

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/298993-journey-hit-430-whp-t28-lets-find-out.html

We are all waiting.... he has this housing, and is going to (hopefully measure the distance from the WG flange to the strut tower/chassis.

I am hoping that I can run Stock Exhaust mani with this housing and the new MV-R (smaller profiel Tial 44 mm WG) without it hitting the chassis.

gearhead55
05-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Check out this thread:

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/298993-journey-hit-430-whp-t28-lets-find-out.html

We are all waiting.... he has this housing, and is going to (hopefully measure the distance from the WG flange to the strut tower/chassis.

I am hoping that I can run Stock Exhaust mani with this housing and the new MV-R (smaller profiel Tial 44 mm WG) without it hitting the chassis.

Tight i'm gunna follow that thread. Thats such a cool turbine housing, thanks for letting me know that existed. And you can get it with a T3 flange, i'm stoked! 3076r with that turbine housing and the MV-R on the stock RB mani would be such a bad setup...

BoostSlideWayz
05-01-2010, 10:08 PM
i would just stick with the internal waste gate. i mean if your car is daily driven or often driven on the street. Idk where you live but in cali cops keep an eye out for stuff and external waste gates are loud. deffinatly makes a statement when you drive around. just turbo your controller down a few psi.

misfitsfreak81
05-12-2010, 11:50 AM
im also thinking of building a custom bottom mount manifold with an external gate. had the car on the dyno yesterday and had very bad boost creep. like through the roof really. no way to control it. tried using the haltech solenoid, stock actuator, everything. nothing would help.

its a sr20, ported and polished head, tomei mani, greddy intake mani, brian crower 264 cams, 2871r with greddy elbow. boosted like crazy just totally uncontrollable.

mike

Silviaoneday
05-12-2010, 11:56 AM
I agree with everyone about the stock manifold. I had a s14 sr and since then upgraded to a built RB25 with a nice LoveFab manifold. Keep the stock one, 350whp in a sr is nuts. You will have no hassle on fitment issues,boost, creep. Dont buy a shit box wastegate and weld it on there please.

misfitsfreak81
05-12-2010, 12:18 PM
thats funny that you just mentioned LoveFab. Frank and Cody are good buddys of mine. been down there the last 2 days dealing with getting my car going. im gonna tell them that they got mention on here. there shit is totally top notch!

mike

I agree with everyone about the stock manifold. I had a s14 sr and since then upgraded to a built RB25 with a nice LoveFab manifold. Keep the stock one, 350whp in a sr is nuts. You will have no hassle on fitment issues,boost, creep. Dont buy a shit box wastegate and weld it on there please.

travypoo
05-12-2010, 12:45 PM
i was running a megan manifold with a 35mm external gate with a 2871 for 2 years. broke off on me once but worked well after i braced it up a little. now i am running the stock cast manifold with the gate welded on top. works really well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/travypoo/Picture004-10.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/travypoo/Picture007-10.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/travypoo/Picture011-9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/travypoo/Picture012-9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/travypoo/Picture002-15.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/travypoo/Picture003-15.jpg

mattsil80wis
05-12-2010, 12:58 PM
i would just stick with the internal waste gate. i mean if your car is daily driven or often driven on the street. Idk where you live but in cali cops keep an eye out for stuff and external waste gates are loud. deffinatly makes a statement when you drive around. just turbo your controller down a few psi.

external gates are only loud when you dont recirc them...from the wastegate add a pipe that leads into the downpipe and its not loud at all

i run a tial 38mm on my stock manifold which is extrude and honed and never had a single problem

http://www.codyace.com/albums/album281/matt032010_21.sized.jpg

jspaeth
05-12-2010, 02:17 PM
external gates are only loud when you dont recirc them...from the wastegate add a pipe that leads into the downpipe and its not loud at all

i run a tial 38mm on my stock manifold which is extrude and honed and never had a single problem

http://www.codyace.com/albums/album281/matt032010_21.sized.jpg

I would never run a recirculated dump pipe. IMO that is kind of a weak thing to do, but to each his own.

One of the selling points for me of the external gate is the bad ass factor of how loud and awesome it sounds when you hit full boost and that shit opens.

mattsil80wis
05-12-2010, 07:07 PM
I would never run a recirculated dump pipe. IMO that is kind of a weak thing to do, but to each his own.

One of the selling points for me of the external gate is the bad ass factor of how loud and awesome it sounds when you hit full boost and that shit opens.

lol i dont...i run open dump and a 3 in straight pipe

cody on the other hand - recirc'd dump and a quiet exhaust

im right with you about hitting full boost and just listening to the car screaming