PDA

View Full Version : Front Passenger side clunk sound/noise

S13CoupeLover
04-29-2010, 07:54 PM
so after hitting a curb and changing out the LCA, tension rod, and swaybar endlink i know have a clunking noise but only at low speed, IE: driveways or turning and hitting a bump at below 10mph ish. also just to add my crossmember was bent in the accident i just hammered it back and torqued the LCA.

so what you guys think?? i have about 3 weeks to get this done and over with before i go for corner balancing and alignment.

michael_torres
04-29-2010, 07:56 PM
your ball joints have lots of play change them thats what i did

S13CoupeLover
04-29-2010, 08:06 PM
i have new LCAs as stated above. so new balls. so i don't think that is it.

240sxrb25
04-29-2010, 08:14 PM
i see you replaced the LCA, but was it properly greased?

good chance you couldve mess up the tie rod end. check for looseness where it attatches to the hub

GL

S13CoupeLover
04-29-2010, 08:21 PM
that's the thing i thought it was pre packed greased cuz nothing/no one said anything about greasing the ball.

yeah i thought tie rod too.. but nothing i could see wrong with it, no looseness, no bends that i could tell, etc.

negrosx13
04-29-2010, 10:12 PM
running on coilovers?

S13CoupeLover
04-29-2010, 11:27 PM
yes i am running greddy coilovers. also aftermarket tension rods, moog swaybar endlinks, oem replacement LCA, and that's it for the front.

negrosx13
04-29-2010, 11:33 PM
did you bother to check the top mount??assuming there pillow mounts

S13CoupeLover
04-29-2010, 11:43 PM
it's been fine till i changed the LCA, tension, and endlinks. i possibly don't think it is that... but heck i'll check it out. i was thinking maybe LCA since i don't know the right torque spec and can't really torque it when it's loaded.

also i'm not to sure if the swaybar was bent, which i think it was, and so mess up the alignment on the endlink and possibly making the clunking sound. so hell... i dunno.

can anyone tell me how to grease up the ball joint? it has a valve on the bottom.

negrosx13
04-30-2010, 12:07 AM
yup needs that valve to grease them...im saying to check the top mount cause i'm having the same issue..only at low speeds you check the noise,doesn't really sound like a ball joint cause its not always clunking around.

S13CoupeLover
04-30-2010, 12:14 AM
no mine is actually always a clunking sound. i dunno once my toe rods come in i'll check the front and find a way to torque the LCA while loaded. torque spec anyone?

bb4_96
04-30-2010, 06:20 AM
Sounds stupid but try re tightening you lug nuts.

S13CoupeLover
05-01-2010, 02:04 PM
ok so i found the problem. i didn't load the lca and torque it down so... i lifted the tire and checked the lca and the ball joint bolt was loose so i tightened it and loaded it and torqued it down. not sure how it is now, haven't driven the car yet after doing that, but it should be a while lot better than what it was like.

SHINCHU
05-01-2010, 03:32 PM
thanks for posting this thread i think i have the same problem... pretty sure the ball joints are worn out. when the same suspension was on my old car, i could wiggle the whole front knuckle/brake/wheel assembly... i thought it might be tie rod to rack wear. but the ball joint makes sense.

let us know if this worked out for you!

VG30Drift
05-01-2010, 03:34 PM
I am having the same exact problem. I also changed the LCAs and tension rods, and it's still not fixed. This is the most annoying thing I have ever experienced. The only thing I can suggest is to check the top mounts to your coilovers... I still have yet to do that. let me know if torquing the LCAs under load fixes it.

nissan240sexy
10-15-2012, 07:39 PM
No answer on this thread? I am also experiencing the same low speed continuous clunk.

I thought it was my lug nuts also, but ill go ahead and check the top mount on my coilovers before I check the ball joint.

edit: 10/16
checked/tightened the lug nuts and top mount - still clunking, haha. ill put the car in the air when i get home and see if the ball joint is worn.

nissan240sexy
10-21-2012, 12:44 AM
I've figured out my problem.

(I have MAX competition coilovers) So my upper mount that was being held together by allen wrench screws were loose causing the two plates to hit to make that terrible clunking sound. One of the 4 screws was one thread away from coming out. I wasnt able to screw it back in due to the first few threads being stripped and no room to give it a solid push and turn (i would have to disassemble the coilovers to get the clearance). I retightened the remaining 3 screws and its all solid now. rides like a caddy. :)