PDA

View Full Version : Ka24de to ka-t, or hold out for sr'd 240? Advice much appreciated!

SwissCheez91
04-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Hi all,

Now I know questions like this must've been answered a million times already, but I'm new here and new to the scene so please bear with me!

I'm trying to make a decision regarding the purchase of my first 240sx, and I figured it'd be wise to gather a bit more information on here before I spend any money.

The other day I stumbled upon a 1992 240sx with a ka24de motor for 3,600. It's very clean and is pretty appealing aesthetically, however, I'm concerned about the engine, and its mileage (170,000!).

The reason for my concern is that I'm looking to turbocharge it in order to make it a bit more lively. I hear, though, that the stock internals of KA engines are weaker than those of the sr20. With all that mileage, I'm really thinking that it might be a bad idea to invest in this car.

I've done some research and heard from friends that with unmodified internals, ka's are rated for 250-300 HP (don't know how true that is!). Now, I don't intend to be using this car for any intense track applications or anything truly demanding, but I'm looking to perhaps run 10-12 psi daily with a garret t28 ot t25 turbo.

So pretty much, my question comes down to this. Do you think it's worthwhile to invest in making this a ka-t or waiting for a good sr'd 240 to come up for sale around NJ/NY? I'm kind of leaning towards waiting to find a sr'd 240 because they generally tend to be more turbo friendly, and also generally aren't found with so much mileage!

Also, I'll be completely honest with you all so you can advise me as best you can; I'm 18, and really haven't worked on engines too much. But, I'm going to be a mechanical engineering major next year (:gives:I know!), and my dad went to graduate school for mechanical engineering so I'm confident that if serious mechanical issues arise, I'll be able to manage my way through them.

Also again - the car has megan coilovers, exhaust, work wheels, and seems to be in really immaculate shape - all that makes the car much more desirable. :)

Thanks in advance!

fliprayzin240sx
04-29-2010, 12:49 AM
3 words:

Do more research...

Slammed Assassin
04-29-2010, 01:34 AM
its been covered so many times!!!

sirfallsalot243
04-29-2010, 06:46 AM
Alright Ill bite. I dont mind helpin a noob out. Ill point you where you need to go though, Im not spoon feeding you. So with that said, start by reading the FAQ's on each motor. Here are a few links that will give you a good idea with whats involved with each setup.

KA-T 101: www.ka-t.org :: View topic - Sticky: DOHC Turbo For Dummies (http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6263&start=0)

SR20 FAQ: RWD SR FAQ Version 2.0 : SR20DET Forum (rear-drive) (http://forums.nicoclub.com/rwd-sr-faq-version-2-0-t306956.html)

More SR20 FAQ: http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/237660-sr20det-faq-swap-info.html

I prefer the SR over the KA, I feel it is the "right" engine for the car. Its the engine that nissan originally intended for the 240. The KA is a great motor, and in a lot of ways bulletproof. And very torquey. My issue with it is that it drives like a truck motor. It FEELS like a truck motor. The SR feels like a CAR motor. And given that Im a person that wants it all with no compromises, the SR was the only motor besides the KA that would give me the performance I wanted without sacraficing things like power steering, a/c, cruise control. The RB and LS1 swaps are disgustingly awesome, but not practical for a daily driver on a budget. The SR fit the bill for me. But if you do decide to go with an SR, you should do it yourself. Say your budget is $4500 for the car. Spend $2500 on a CLEAN stock 240, and the remaining $2000 on your swap. Youd be much better off doing the swap yourself than buying a car with it already done. (Ever heard the saying, 'want something done right? do it yourself').

Mileage really isnt a factor in whether or not you can turbo your KA. Its a good thing to keep in mind, but it does not necessarily indicate the condition of the motor. If you want to be sure how healthy your motor is, do a compression test prior to purchasing. It takes 20 minutes to do a compression test, any car seller shouldnt have a problem with you doing it, and the information it provides you is PRICELESS. So I highly recommend doing a compression or leak down test on any car that you plan on keeping the motor to.

Read those links, that should get you started.

And also check this one out.
http://zilvia.net/f/chat/297481-small-questions-thread-use-insted-making-new-threads-40.html