PDA

View Full Version : K&n Air Filters And Rings

pinkfloyd2424
07-05-2003, 01:47 PM
I have recently been told by a mechanic in my area that k&n air filter flow too much air that the mafs cand add enough fuel so the A/F Ratio is not correct and over time will burn the rings...Can anyone explaine this...

Bill Roberts
07-05-2003, 01:53 PM
My SOHC sees no problems running the K&N.

As long as you are not getting a computer code from the installation, no problem. Just do a computer reset (search for resetting the computer) and enjoy.

I wonder how the mechanic could have made this assumption. I have not heard of any problems whatsoever.

pinkfloyd2424
07-05-2003, 01:58 PM
yeah i agree with you, he was mensioning stuff about people taking the mafs off...why whould I remove the mafs when putting on a cone filter???

Bill Roberts
07-05-2003, 02:13 PM
removing the MAFS would disrupt the feedback loop to the computer. Only if you were going to CARBORATORS....would you do such a thing. Changing the MAFS involves some computer mods. This is where I get lost but a lot of people I know actually build their own chips.

My impression of that mechanic is he only wants to work on cars that are totally stock so he can go by the book. I have met a few of them myself......like any mods at all ruins things..

Believe me, you can't cram enouigh air in the plentium to run lean on a normally asperated KA engine.

Just another example of a bookworm wrench twister. I, myself, live a bit on the wild side.

pinkfloyd2424
07-05-2003, 02:15 PM
thankx for the clearing up

Bill Roberts
07-05-2003, 02:18 PM
Well hopefully someone will come along and give you some insight on settings for your computer and things you can do to assure yourself everything is A-OK. Look at all the cold air intakes available for the KA. K&N's, CAI's and other goodies would not be "bolt on" if their was any chance of messing up the engine. K&N would be in a real mess if what your mechanic says...is true pertaining to YOUR car.

What year and engine do you have?

pinkfloyd2424
07-05-2003, 02:23 PM
89 with the ka24e

Bill Roberts
07-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Dude, me too.

My turns on the horsepower. Bored 40 over, different cam, ported and polished, different computer, frame stiffners underneath.

I don't know why...but I really like the SOHC 89's. Must be all that torque!

I have laid waste to a ton of cars that temps her. It has so much potential that folks are just now starting to see. The key is the driver...and getting as much air in and out of the engine as possible. If you don't have the K&N, get one and be impressed.

For maximum effect, soft launch (not turning the tires over or roasting rubber) and lay into first to 5800 hit second to 5500 and hit 3rd...you will be around 60MPH now and third just kicks a$$. Watch for the rev limiter in 5th...115 comes up quick.

The car will run all day long at 4500 RPM.

Also, my rev limiter in 1/2/3 is at 7300RPM...giving me 40 in first, 69 in second and 94 in 3rd...but the shift points I pointed out makes for the best times.

deviousKA
07-05-2003, 03:14 PM
i have a very large outlet k&n cone filter. i am using it on my coupe right now and it definatly lets the engine breath easier. hopefully i will have my ka24e n/a build up on the dyno soon to show some numbers (fastback). i will be using the k&n on that. ka24e should never be underestimated http://realnissan.com/Joseph%20Starlet.jpg

Got Sileighty?
07-05-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Bill Roberts
As long as you are not getting a computer code from the installation, no problem. Just do a computer reset (search for resetting the computer) and enjoy.

you have to reset the computer when u install a filter?

Bill Roberts
07-05-2003, 07:12 PM
It is a good idea for peace of mind. A full reset is a good idea period. The new amount of air coming in may be beyond the stock swing settings. reseting will assure that the computer "notices" the change and makes adjustments accordingly.

On some cars, simply unhooking the battery for 10 mins will reset the computer. For our cars, their is a way to do it explained in the search.

It is quick and painless. I got horsepower for real...Lots of it.

If you look at the link about best cars you have driven...the 240 I have (madame betsy) takes 3rd place. Lots of seriously formadable cars fall behind her.

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31564

Look at my list...

Devious states: ka24e should never be underestimated.

Right on. It is the sleeper of the engines IMHO. (Less moving parts)

SOHC KA24E can be a monster.

zero.counter
07-05-2003, 09:25 PM
It can over time, give amounts of air to the computer for the ratio to the cylinders that it can't interpret but does not burn the sensor out or rings so to speak. At most your ratio could be rich and burn a little more gas.

Yes, the old SOHC is a good engine. In order to see this you first should do your basic mods which are your intake, exhaust, and spark plugs/wires.
Get a K&N Filter from just about anywhere, this will help your motor breath much easier. Next is the exhaust, there are plenty of systems out there, its just your preference on sound and looks, most will perform the same as long as they are performance systems. Both of these should give about 10hp. Next you can get a header to help the exhaust even more, they give about another 10hp alone.

Next get a camshaft from JimWolf Technology or an equivalent, the claimed is about 10-12hp. You can also get a computer upgrade from them giving even more hp. These can be done fairly easily as suggested by Bill. The next steps are a little more complex.
You can get the cylinder head ported, polished, and cc'd, this helps with the natural aspiration process giving about at least 15hp. The hardest steps involve pulling the motor out. Bore the motor over .40 and get 10.5:1(custom) or 9.5:1(NISMO)pistons, Total-Seal rings, Have the motor balanced and blueprinted. Lighten the flywheel (fidanza or toda) and put in a heavy duty clutch such as a Centerforce Dual Friction. Lastly,get the intake manifold ported and the throttle body enlarged to get more air into the motor. For this amount of effort, you should attain around 210-225HP.

Hit me up for more, sorry I got off track. Want the parts, go here http://www.ka24de.com/