PDA

View Full Version : rb20det how to wire an rpm gauge HELP!!!

Rb20detboy
04-15-2010, 03:29 AM
hey guys so I got my rb20 running and everything ready but need to wire in my rpm gauge. I searched online and it says to wire in the rpm signal into line 7 of the ECU and it says the line in ecu 7 is red and yellow but mine is yellow and black I believe. are there different types of rb20 ecu's or what? I dont want to wire in my rpm gauge and burn out the ecu for whatever reason. any help is appreciated guys thanks!

also on a side note my battery keeps draining out. tried new batteries but same result. I checked the voltage and it seems fine while running and when car is off theres almost no drainage but the battery is still somehow dying within just a day.

rubhamusan
04-15-2010, 08:30 AM
Just go by the pin# on the ecu. It's the same for 20/25/26 except 26 has 2 O2 and 2 mafs. But if you wire it up the tach will be way off. You need a digital Dakota box or just get a rb20 cluster remove the tach and put it in the s13 cluster. Bolts rite in. Leave just a hairline of light around it butno big deal.

Blackparade
04-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Im pretty sure its a yellow/red wire that comes out of the ecu into a connector that looks a lot like the stock dash connector. Just splice that into the yellow/red wire at the dash connector and youll be fine. Im actually thinking of selling my genuine LS auto conversion stock tach. Id be willing to trade for an autometer monster tach.

Z U L8R
04-15-2010, 08:33 PM
if you're running an autometer tach you're going to pop the resistor for the tach signal in the ecu if you wire pin 7 to the tach signal wire on your guage.

my advice, get msd part number 8918 tach signal pickup, it's 40 bucks from summit racing.

wire that in how the instructions tell you, ie: red power, black ground bla bla. clip the pick up onto the thick white wire that is the 12 volt ignition power supply to all the coil packs. then wire in the pick up signal wire which if i recall correctly is grey. that signal wire will go to the green signal wire for your tach, and voila. safe, works, DONE.

my .02

Dave

repda916
04-16-2010, 02:10 PM
http://wiki.r31skylineclub.com/images/f/fc/RB20_Tacho_Wiring.jpg