PDA

View Full Version : air idle control unit elimination?

frankenfresh
04-13-2010, 04:00 AM
I've currently got my sr20det apart, (doing a full forged build) and have come to a point where i am either going to get a new air idle control unit or simply eliminate it. what I'm thinking about doing is making a block off plate for where the unit bolts onto the intake manifold and adjusting my throttle body to stay slightly open when you let off the gas. so basically instead of the aic unit feeding the motor air at idle, air will come in through the slightly open throttle body. has anyone successfully done this before?

jspaeth
04-13-2010, 07:16 AM
Yes, I believe that people have done this.

The only place is see this being a problem is on deceleration.....the revs of the engine slowing down may want to KEEP it slowing down, potentially stalling out.

Or you can REALLY leave the throttle plate open and deal with the higher idle.

Also, this will kill your cold start higher idle I believe.

frankenfresh
04-14-2010, 10:16 AM
good info, thank you. anyone else have any info or input?

midnight_rex
04-14-2010, 04:41 PM
i was curious about this too not too long ago. i went to a shop and asked a tuner here in houston (chris delgado from SecretServices) and he said the IACV that is equipped on the sr20's should be a step motor type and can be open to the atmosphere. i have my motor fully built also and i just have the IACV hooked up and not connected to the intake system.

note: im still in the process of finishing my build so i havent got the motor running just yet neither have i ever started it yet.

here is a link about types of IACV's http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h60.pdf

lok
04-14-2010, 04:54 PM
I have removed mine and have a plate that bolts in its place.

I did it when i moved to an s14 water neck and cut the metal tube so the heater core lines were both on the same side.

You have to adjust the throttle plate screw and then adjust the tps.

I idle at 12-1400 once warm.

When cold ~ 30 to 40 in the winter I just have to touch the throttle once to get it to idle and let it warm up.