PDA

View Full Version : power steering belt problems

Dark
06-30-2003, 03:42 PM
My water pump died so I replaced it

I also replaced the thermostat and radiator cap so now the car doesn’t overheat.

My clutch fan died so I replaced that too

The power steering belt tension is right. Two people I know confirmed it.

But I’m still getting a whining noise the higher I rev the higher the noise (Sounds like two electric fans blowing at full tilt) also I sometimes get a high pitched noise with the whining

Also it seems like the car lost some power doesn’t rev like before

The new belt I put on was destroyed in a week I’m on my second belt now for some reason the power steering belt seems to be under a lot of strain but I can't figure out why. Please help I really need my 240 to work.

Dousan_PG
06-30-2003, 03:45 PM
probably have the angle on the

water pump
or
pulley
or
clutch fan

on incorrectly so the belt is under tension
hence, why it broke fast and is squealing now
check the torque and make sure everything is seated properly

Dark
06-30-2003, 03:49 PM
Don't have a torque wrench. All the work was done by hand. The clutch fan i replaced today. The noise was there before it's driving me nuts.

So it might be that the water pump wasn't tightened enough or it was too tight. How do I find out? Can someone tell me what the torque specs are for the water pump.

StreetConcept
07-03-2003, 04:24 PM
i think i have the same problem, is it a high pitched kinda scratchy noice starts around 45-5000 rpms? if it is im having that problem as well.

curbhuggerrps13
10-01-2003, 11:10 AM
when i put in my intrax springs it put alot..i mean alot of stress on my car till my power steerin line gave out...so im wonderin if n e of u guys had that problem? manual steering . AAAAHHHHH