PDA

View Full Version : Stock SR20 Fan + Rad Cooling Confusion

dongoesby
04-11-2010, 03:05 AM
Haven't post for a long time. So, I've been debugging my SR after the swap while driving it everyday for almost 6 months now. Everything is looking good and I'm planning to go to track. But after doing some researches and found how easily the SR overheats on the track, I need advice on whether I need an aftermarket radiator.

I've been running a stockish S14 SR @10 psi
Nismo thermostat
Stock radiator
Stock clutch fan (tried 98 KA clutch fan, it is shorter but makes a louder noise)
Stock KA A/C fan (never really notice it spins)
S15 SMIC

1. Should I get rid of the A/C fan? It seems blocking the air to pass through the radiator.
2. Is a bigger radiator able to keep me on the track whole day?
3. Should I choose aluminum over copper?
4. What is your preference on the mixture of coolant (anti-freeze) with purified water (mineral-less)...and maybe water wetter as well?

96Turbo
04-11-2010, 03:34 AM
1. Do you have a temp gauge (stock doesn't count)

2. What temp levels are you seeing now?

3. Act accordingly

If you don't actually have ur A/C installed, ditch the A/C fan. The stock clutch fan (with shroud) is just as good if not better than a set of E fans. I think ur probably gonna be just fine on track. But if not, then you got plenty of room for a fat alum. radiator and they're not expensive...

dongoesby
04-11-2010, 03:55 AM
1. I've been running with some Defi gauges, and the egt seems ok to me (1200 F cruising on hwy).

I know stock water temp is rubbish. It never changes its position. It either sits cold at idle or in the middle the whole time.

I just acquired another set of Defi water and oil gauge. I'm thinking install them along with upgrading the radiator is the upgrade is necessary.

3. what do you think?

1. Do you have a temp gauge (stock doesn't count)

2. What temp levels are you seeing now?

3. Act accordingly

If you don't actually have ur A/C installed, ditch the A/C fan. The stock clutch fan (with shroud) is just as good if not better than a set of E fans. I think ur probably gonna be just fine on track. But if not, then you got plenty of room for a fat alum. radiator and they're not expensive...

mrchomponthis
04-11-2010, 01:34 PM
aluminum radiator, fan shroud, cooling panel and should be fine for the whole day.

96Turbo
04-11-2010, 02:32 PM
just install ur new water temp gauge and see what's goin on. if you can't get it to overheat while driving it hard, when it's hot outside, sitting still, etc.... Then you're probably fine with the OEM style rad.

Since you're running relatively low power, and have a SMIC, I think you'll be fine with the current setup you've got. No need to waste money on a radiator if you don't need it.

Just keep an eye on the temps. Do a track day and see how hot it gets. Good luck!

dongoesby
04-11-2010, 02:54 PM
just install ur new water temp gauge and see what's goin on. if you can't get it to overheat while driving it hard, when it's hot outside, sitting still, etc.... Then you're probably fine with the OEM style rad.

Since you're running relatively low power, and have a SMIC, I think you'll be fine with the current setup you've got. No need to waste money on a radiator if you don't need it.

Just keep an eye on the temps. Do a track day and see how hot it gets. Good luck!

Thanks. So base on your experience, have you seen people doing fine with stock radiator on the track?
Just want to do it right the first time, and I don't want to go back to pit every 15 mins.

btw, I do intend to keep the a/c so I assume the a/c fan is necessary for my setup.

Om1kron
04-11-2010, 02:54 PM
some aftermarket radiators are too large for you to use the stock shroud and that may cause an issue for you. I'm not sure which ones work with the stock shroud but if you decide to track it I would recommend hood spacers with the stock setup and you should be good.

then just remove them before you go daily driving again unless you like the dumb ass raised hood look.

dongoesby
04-11-2010, 06:09 PM
some aftermarket radiators are too large for you to use the stock shroud and that may cause an issue for you. I'm not sure which ones work with the stock shroud but if you decide to track it I would recommend hood spacers with the stock setup and you should be good.

then just remove them before you go daily driving again unless you like the dumb ass raised hood look.

I'm getting Mishimoto. I read their rad reviews that should fit no problem. Well, I just double checked. My stock rad is ~2" thick and SMIC piping are so close. The Mishimoto is ~3.5" thick, so I'm crossing my finger.

Does the hood spacer really working for you?

Om1kron
04-11-2010, 06:20 PM
I dunno, I've never tracked my car. It's my only car at the moment. I notice that the car may begin to get in the 210-215 degree range going uphill a long ass time in hot hot cali weather. But very rare it ever gets that high.

Plus the hood on my car is a flaming piece of shit. I would be scared to trust it would hold if I spaced it.

Once I get my masa motorsports hood, I can comment on how that works.