PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problem....HELP PLEASE!!

FastBack 240
06-30-2003, 02:51 AM
Ok last nigt while on the process of leaving my friends house and the car wouldnt start. I first thought it was the battery and needed a jump so I jumped it. Nothing. I then thought maybe the battery was dead so I unhooked the jumper cars cables and sparked them to see if i had juice. The juice was there. The night before when racing a wrx, my clutch stuck alot meaning I need to change my master cylinder. Could the master cylinder be so bad that it is not engaging the clutch? Any other suggestions? Thanks alot for the help.

FastBack 240
06-30-2003, 05:36 AM
Follow up..........I was getting power all the way to the starter and the slave cylinder was engaging the clutch so im going to check the starter and lets just hope thats it.

FastBack 240
06-30-2003, 09:48 AM
wasn't the starter...this is really puzzling me now. The engine isnt cranking at all. Any suggestions??? :bs:

FastBack 240
06-30-2003, 10:02 PM
After searching through the posts for about an hour, I found out what the problem was. The problem was the starter after all. A post stating that car won't start and at starting its just like not even having the clutch in said that beating on the starter with the hammer will make the silenoid work temporarily but starter needs to be replaced. The weird thing is when I took it to autozone and bench tested it, the starter worked fine. But in the car it wont engage unless hit on with a hammer. P1sses me off!!!

gfisch
07-01-2003, 10:57 AM
Yeah, thats wierd, but it works well. I was helpin out a friend with an old Jeep and the only way to start it was to wack the started w/ a hammer.
Did autozone just check the starter motor? Maybe that why it worked fine. The solenoid is just really a relay, maybe they didnt check it and bypassed it. I don't recall on the 240, is it a separate unit, or attached to the starter motor?

FastBack 240
07-01-2003, 02:28 PM
Yea it worked fine they said. I made sure they tested it as well. I bought a new starter any how and it works great.

Yoshi
07-01-2003, 03:05 PM
be happy it was your starter instead of something else ;)
Starters are cheap, and (fairly) easy to replace... plus u whack the solenoid and it'll go again 9/10 times :D Glad you're up and running again... how did u fare against the WRX btw?

FastBack 240
07-01-2003, 06:12 PM
The wrx was a beast. I had him off the line because of his massive turbo and lag. After that he smoked me. O-60ft would have been a good race.