PDA

View Full Version : Air-Intakes

Stebo200
06-29-2003, 09:45 PM
I have a 1993 240sx....i was just wondering what type of intake would be the best . There are so many on the market i was just wondering what you guys think.

Iam in the market to buy one, just very overwhelmed by different styles and types. Just need alittle clearing up on whats hot and whats not.

Thanks.

zero.counter
06-29-2003, 09:52 PM
The Injen intakes are good and you can interchange the filters with other brands.

black s13
06-29-2003, 10:39 PM
yup, i have an injen, but imho, dont get the cold air extension part. the second pipe (that goes down to make it cold air) goes through the stock hole where the resonator used to be, so it goes from like steady 3 inch piping, down to like 1.5 inches, the back to 3 inch. personally i have the short ram style, and then custom piping that goes into the same space, but goes around the little flat part, not through the middle of it.

Stebo200
06-29-2003, 10:40 PM
How are the other intake brands compared to each other...like

AEM
Weapon r
HKS...

If there is anymore help me out here...

s0ldats
06-30-2003, 12:42 AM
does the piping really make a difference? i've seen the same power gains from just adding a filter to the stock piping.

FastBack 240
06-30-2003, 06:02 AM
In most cases it does because the stock is not heavily restricted like many cars but it still is more restricted than an aftermarket such as AEM, Injen, and so on.

BSeay
06-30-2003, 07:24 AM
I've got the Injen CAI w/extension on my 240 and it's been good to me...if you drive with a short ram and then add the extension you'll notice a difference in the HP...i drove with one for a long time then had to remove it because of reasons (lots of water) and drive with short ram, it sucks....but if your thinking about SR20DET later the intake is a waste of money...

FastBack 240
06-30-2003, 07:29 AM
true. How does the extension from short ram to CAI work exactly? Do you know if they have one for AEM?

YoungRookie
06-30-2003, 10:41 AM
Wouldnt it be cheaper just to get one custom made? Like take it to a muffler shop and get them to mandrel bend a custom intake?

black s13
06-30-2003, 12:04 PM
the "short ram" style intake will place a cone filter just about where the stock airbox is now. it is located in the engine bay, so it will suck hot air.

the cold air extension is an extra 1 or 2 little pipes that go down, and put the filter into the space where the resonator box is. this is moved out of the actual engine bay, and on 91+ s13's, it sits right behind a vent in the bumper.

the only problem with the supplied CAE is that it squeezes down to a small size, in order to fit through the small hole left by the resonator.