PDA

View Full Version : Ghetto 2 step?

rubhamusan
04-08-2010, 01:48 PM
So I was pondering something and wondered if anyone had done this before.

So if the maf signal doesn't make it's journey from the maf to the ecu you get a safe mode type thing where the rev is limited to 2500 rpms. What if you then interupt the clutch pedal switch with said signal. You would have a ghetto 2 step.
Anyone done this?
I haven't just theorizing and all.

mattsil80wis
04-08-2010, 01:59 PM
not a bad idea

i understand your idea, but just seems a little low to have it there

but its a cheap and easy method it seems

OBEEWON
04-08-2010, 02:21 PM
You would make no boost at all at 2500. I think cutting the MAF signal would dump too much fuel to spool anyway.

mattsil80wis
04-08-2010, 02:27 PM
You would make no boost at all at 2500. I think cutting the MAF signal would dump too much fuel to spool anyway.

i think he is doing it more for the cool affect rather than the real purpose

i could be wrong though

rubhamusan
04-08-2010, 04:00 PM
I was thinking more of drifting use.

240sxrb25
04-08-2010, 04:04 PM
no maf means "safe mode" and goes richer. turbos like the right a/f to spool correctly and at 2500 and extra rich, it probablay wont spool well.

its an interesting idea though.

4x4le
04-09-2010, 12:54 AM
I was thinking more of drifting use.

I see in no way that this could benefit you for drifting. Please enlighten me.

no maf means "safe mode" and goes richer. turbos like the right a/f to spool correctly and at 2500 and extra rich, it probablay wont spool well.

its an interesting idea though.

When there is no maf it may be richer prior to the rev limit, but the way it limits your revves at 2500 is actually a fuel cut. Extended periods of this will not be a good thing for your engine.

Doing this rev limiter the way the op is saying (I have seen people do) but it is not the best thing. Depending on your turbo you may see up to 1 psi of boost, however it is going to be very very lean. The only way I could see this some what being of a benefit is if you liked to drag race some and wanted to hold your rpms at a steady rev (not full throttle but at 2500) just so you have a consistand launch. 2500 rpms is still slightly low to launch at imo.

rubhamusan
04-09-2010, 10:31 AM
All good points. That's why I asked first . I was thinking of drifting because some times while sliding I have to tap the gas a few times to keep the revs up. I was thinking it would eliminate it by just stomping the pedal instead of taping it repeatedly. Or clutch sliping. But anyways not what I was looking for. I figured I would discuss before a try and do something bad to a motor I can't afford to replace.