PDA

View Full Version : Come welcome me and help me out!!

ProjectD
06-29-2003, 05:41 PM
Hey..I sold my ls crx about a week ago and picked up a 90 240sx.No not cuz its mainstream but I did take a sr20 one for a drive and fell in love. Its gona be a daily driver/weeked autocrosser but I mite try drifting if i develop the balls for it haha. Anyways I wanted to get ur opinion on 2 things. Im pretty sure most of u have seen the C-west and Vertex front kits..so i was wonderin which one you guys think looks good? And also does the HKS or Blitz nur spec sound better on a 240sx. (the exhaust is gona be 3in. right now on the ka for sound/looks reasons but A sr20det should be snuggled in the engine bay in 2-4months so im not worried about the low end loss for now)....luv the site! later

nrcooled
06-29-2003, 05:51 PM
Welcome to the site and congrats on the purchase!

As for your questions:
1. I don't like body kits (except GP Sports) I think the stock lines on the s13 are gorgeous. I just removed the pinstripe and electrical tape. She looks sooooo sexy now
2. I have a Apexi' N1 Dual (love it) so I can't comment on the exhausts that you want. Either one will be good quality just pick the one that you feel is the best

KiDyNomiTe
06-29-2003, 06:46 PM
First off welcome to Zilvia.

Second if you get any PMs regarding, a white f/b with a cwest kit already on it, or a shop that goes by the name AutoImaging, don't be afraid. The name ProjectD is just another name for the Shop AutoImaging, and the owner has a f/b.

Now on to you qs. On the exhaust sound will be determined by a lot fo things, either way its personal preference, but your mods on you SR will change the sound, so I say go for either price, or quality, although both will be great on quality.

On the body kit, I personally like the CWest kits for both S13s and S14s, but only like the Vertex kit for the S14s. Yet again its personal preference. For better results post some pics.

And don't get your hopes too high. A lot of people come in here saying they will have an SR in thier cars by a certain time (I did), but the more you SEARCH and ask questions you'll realize that you will need more time, and unexpected things will come up. So just make sure that you have enough extra money.

Keep in mind in no way am I saying this will never happen, just that you have to be prepared for the unexpected.

Good luck :boink:

boro240
06-29-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by KiDyNomiTe
ProjectD is just another name for the Shop AutoImaging, and the owner has a f/b.
its also the name of Ryosuke's "Fastest in Kanto" plan, from Initial D, which is where i imagine both of them got the name.

s13silady
06-30-2003, 12:23 AM
hey welcome to the site and congrats on the car...personally my 3 fave kits are gp sports, vertex, and the ings...

ProjectD
06-30-2003, 03:02 AM
Kidy haha yea im aware of that whole projectD and the white 240sx.I seen it in super street.I just couldnt think of wat else to put so I just went with projectD as boro mentioned. Kidy yea I agree with what you're sayin about not gettin hopes too high but after doin some much needed research Ive decided just to build a turbo ka. it can make some sick power cept I dont have to save up for the swap or anythin I can just get right to turbo! :) and since Im new to nissan and have the weirdest feelin Im gona blow the motor sooner or later lol i figure ka is easier and cheaper to replace. I think ive decided on the cwest front kit and g4 side and rear from autoimaging.com but I still need those opinions on exhaust! thx and sorry for long *** reply

Tachknight_BlackLion
06-30-2003, 12:16 PM
Welcome to Zilvia Project D

In terms of sound, I'd go with the Blitz Nur Spec. In terms of performance, right now neither of those exhausts will help. 3in exhaust piping is a bit excessive for a KA w/o a turbo, so I'd advise if you're serious about getting that SR, buy the exhaust to fit the SR. Also take advantage of the Search option for information on your SR swap, there's also a ton of info on what you'll need to know in the project section of www.SportCompactCarWeb.com. Trust me, if you're just planning on buying the SR in 4 months, it'll be a bit longer before its in and running, that is if you want to do it right. Best thing is to take your time, utilize this site, its members, and its resources to get as much info as you can.

Good Luck, Best wishes on the SR, and again Welcome to Zilvia.net.....

mistert
07-01-2003, 12:13 AM
did that guy just point him to SCC for help on an SR swap?

zilvia is a much better resource for info on motorswaps. SCC is one of the main reasons for driving the prices of 240's and SR motors up, and why every wannabe riceboy and his grandma tells you you should put an SR motor in it

Tachknight_BlackLion
07-01-2003, 09:02 AM
I pointed him to SCC to expand his base of info to pull from, not to say go there instead of coming to Zilvia. It's good advice in case something in the Zilvia database confuses him or misses something. SCC has step by step info on what to buy where to get it, what fabrications might have to be made, how and where you can get the wiring set up right, and best of all, step by steps pictures of everything. It's information just as valuable as what he will find on Zilvia, whether riceboys read SCC or not....you really need to step outside of the "elite" status quo, you could be missing out by limiting yourself to "only" this website for info...

Dousan_PG
07-01-2003, 09:31 AM
mistert is right.

no, SCC is a bad place.

go to www.srswap.com or www.phase2motortrend.com

these guys do swap for a living, LONG ago, and helpful and GOOD Info, not bad info.

elite status? please.

edit: zilvia.net and freshalloy.com can help you with troubleshooting as well as some install qs. enough knowelable folks on these here boards. fuck SCC

Tachknight_BlackLion
07-01-2003, 10:16 AM
LOL.......

mistert is right.

Are you bored Dousan? I'm beginning to feel flattered because you always seem to be right over my shoulder.

I thought you didn't read SCC Dousan, and if that is so, you wouldn't know how correct or incorrect they info they provide actually is would you? I provided SCC as a source of information that he could add to his list, not rely on exclusively. I'm sure there are plenty of shops he could pay to show and tell him how to pull this swap off.

No one said that Zilvia doesn't have plenty of great and helpful info, in fact I said that myself. But again, no one should limit themselves to "only" Zilvia for info.

P.S.- There are plenty of car techs working on SCC's staff, not to mention the shops they interview, probe, and report information from for tech support. They are as reliable as anyone else, contrary to stereotypes....

Reading is fundamental.....

mrmephistopheles
07-01-2003, 10:21 AM
Techinical inaccuracies and misleading info tend to make me not enjoy SCC as much as I'd like to.

Dousan_PG
07-01-2003, 10:22 AM
actually, i dont
but i bought that one back in the day, because i know marco vargas and met him a few times and spoke (very impressed) and so bought that one w/ his car on teh cover. :) still have it too, next to my drifting mags at home.

lots of incorrect information!! AAH it was horrible!

the SCC guys at d1 driver search..trust me, i wouldnt read that mag hahahahahaha...common sense? hello!!!

edit: right over your shoulder to keep people inline. theres a lot of bad info on zilvia too. it doesnt have the best rep for technical info because dum dums keep posting bad stuff. trying to keep this forum in shape, and so far, really no complaints (except those who i whip into shape). anyways..yeah im alays on here and FA, 4ag..and a few others... :) cool forums.

oh and as far as paying. last tiem i heard, heavy throttle has FREE info ontheir site
and just this weekend, hypersh1ft spark plug brokeand phase2 (wayne) gave him a new one for free AND helped him out

now to me,that's top business. my friend goes to phase2 now (another one) and wayne helps him with every little problem w/ no complaints and wayne has been doing srs wwaaaaay back when (first in cali w/ SR20DET it is said...)

nrcooled
07-01-2003, 10:23 AM
Don't fight it and just admit that dousan is correct. SCC is a terrible reference. There are so many other complete sites that will walk you through the entire swap. You have cookie cutter information. The info that is on srswap.com and UH.com is the real deal.

Just let it go. We were all new once.:hammer:

Tachknight_BlackLion
07-01-2003, 10:45 AM
oh and as far as paying. last tiem i heard, heavy throttle has FREE info ontheir site

SHOW and tell Dousan, it said show and tell....

but i bought that one back in the day, because i know marco vargas and met him a few times and spoke (very impressed) and so bought that one w/ his car on teh cover. still have it too, next to my drifting mags at home.

they showed more than vargas that issue, they also showed a step by step sr install, like the one Heavy Throttle shows on their site...

nrcooled, true we are all "new" to this forum sometime, but I am in no shape or form new to the 240sx/Silvia or the SR20DET engine, and I am not going to say Dousan is right, because he isn't. The truth is like I said there is so much detailed info out the on the SR swap, to limit yourself to just one source is crazy, unless they're doing the swap for you and giving you a warranty on the install. I've seen alot of sr20 install walkthroughs, I liked how SCC detailed theirs, so I mentioned it. People don't like SCC because it is a "riceboy mag", "responsible for riceboys wanting an 240 and driving up their prices..", and other nonsense. And though SCC isn't paying me to defend them, I won't let someone stereotype it to sound knowledgeable or important....I expose that kind of talk for what it is...utter and complete bs...

Information is all over, and the choice of which info is preferred is up to the person reading it...Let no one tell you what you should read, examine the selection and choose for yourself, any other input is opinion....including mine...

Any replies to my opinion can be sent to my PM board, I'll read it there and get back to you. It's better than wasting the thread anymore...

Dousan_PG
07-01-2003, 10:50 AM
show:

http://www.srswap.com/f_faq.htm

all your info is there.
wiring diagrams, trouble shooting and problem solving

If you can't find the answers in the SR FAQ section of this web site, drop us an e-mail and we will be glad to answer your questions about the SR engine swap

yeah i know SCC showed more then that. i own it..can you read? i-own-it.

you always quit threads when you are wrong. its funny.

dood, i was looking at my headlights last night..they were clear!! OMG!

Tachknight_BlackLion
07-01-2003, 11:15 AM
you always quit threads when you are wrong. its funny.

I didn't quit, I just felt it would be immature to continue such a dispute in a thread where someone was trying to say hello to Zilvia members and get a little info....this kind of debate in the middle of all of that makes that a lil hard to do don't you think?

yeah i know SCC showed more then that. i own it..can you read? i-own-it.

Yes I can read, I do it often. I was the one that posted "Reading is Fundamental" wasn't I? Guess that must have hurt your confidence or something and that's why you felt the need to ask if I can read.LOL.

Futher, if you saw that issue and own it, why didn't you mention it in your post here that they had a full step by step install walkthrough? Oh yes, that wouldn't prove your point that SCC gives bad information...in fact it would actually prove my point that they along with several others have such info and that it is just as good a source as anyone else...Go figure...

finally,

dood, i was looking at my headlights last night..they were
clear!! OMG!

WOW.....someone give this guy a diploma, he finally figured out what a headlight looks like....Now if we can get him to understand the difference between replacing that fixture and replacing the entire HEADLAMP assembly, he just might make it.....

Dousan_PG
07-01-2003, 11:26 AM
http://sr20.hybrids.jp/
more installs and GOOD INFORMATION..

no you didnt read what i told you, i said i owned it then you tell me what more it has. duh, i own it, i read it. of course i know what else it has.

full step by step..iirc, they sent their harness off to a wiring guy to do it. he had everything laid out so he can do it fast. they put some great wiring diagrams on SCC didnt they?

check that above link for great info. example:

SR20DET swap with SOHC S13 power steering
S13 SR20DET swap into S14 chassis

when SCC can top that, start talking again.

and that's just the beginning. sr20.hybrids.jp is relatively (not really) new and still growing.

old_s13
07-01-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by dousan36
http://sr20.hybrids.jp/
more installs and GOOD INFORMATION..
and that's just the beginning. sr20.hybrids.jp is relatively (not really) new and still growing.

yeah.. growing at a REALLY REALLY SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW RATE :)

We chased away all the idiots off of that forum, I love it. Its SO dead there now. :)

Anyway, SCC is kinda trashy.. I dont take anything seriously in that mag, especially considering they used to talk **** about the KA "truck motor" in that rag of a mag. Its just crap.. I dont like reading anything because its just all too mainstream and depressing.

I've noticed I am just much better off looking at PICTURES in option magazines looking at what they did and trying to determine how they did it...

than reading SCC and the false flashy information they write. I liked that primer car.. a bit.. its okay, but I still didnt care much for what they said. Atleast that article was acceptable.. Ive read SO much worse.

- Mike

mrmephistopheles
07-01-2003, 11:41 AM
Oh god, I feel sorry for Van & the gang.. There's gonna be alot of newbie BS to shovel away.

Tachknight_BlackLion
07-01-2003, 12:32 PM
full step by step..iirc, they sent their harness off to a wiring guy to do it. he had everything laid out so he can do it fast. they put some great wiring diagrams on SCC didnt they?

They had common sense. Someone who doesn't have experience or knowledge of a wiring diagram should not, I repeat NOT try to use it. I have experience in electrical systems and wiring myself, and I'm not sure if I'd feel like attempting it myself, there is too much potential for a screw up if you haven't done that kind of wiring before. I wouldn't advise anyone who doesn't have experience in wiring to DIY with an SR swap regardless of where the got the wiring diagrams or info. There is too much room to screw up, better to let someone who has done it before do it...

no you didnt read what i told you, i said i owned it then you tell me what more it has. duh, i own it, i read it. of course i know what else it has.

You and I both know why you didn't mention it....And we both know why you're still bringing it up. Do yourself a favor and forget you ever brought it up.....

This is about discrediting a source without proof that the source is unreliable. That is what we call stereotyping, and if someone tried to discredit Zilvia.net, I'd make the same argument and ask them to prove it. If you're going to discredit something, do it because you have proof, not just because it's not "acceptable" in some circles, or because YOU don't like it.

If you want to win this argument that you started Dousan, do this please, so I can be done with you:

Find a proven example of how the SR install info that SCC gave caused someone following it to screw up their install, and be able to prove that the screw was in the info SCC provided.

It isn't enough to simply post other sources of info...I already said quite a few times now THAT THERE ARE SEVERAL SOURCES OF INFO ON SR SWAPS, WHICH IS BEST IS UP TO THE PERSON LOOKING....

Dousan_PG
07-01-2003, 12:40 PM
wiring up a sr isnt really difficult. my friend did his and had it done relatively fast (i have to ask how long it took), they had NEVER done it before. it was his first time. and that included wiring up the fuse box (cut harness). s13 to s13 that is. s14 into s13 that is tricky, mine is done for free by a company so no worries. s15 into s13 is a nightmare for most..so pro for that. but s13 into s13 isnt rocket science. now that i think of it, i know a few 'non-electrical' people who have done it on their own w/ heavy throttle's info.

yeah ill look thru the SCC tonight and let you know.

Dousan_PG
07-01-2003, 02:40 PM
Tachknight_BlackLion: i dont know why you are telling ME to find you technicality issues w/ that article. i just said dont use it and it had bad info and such. not only that but its very vague on the whole process.

i dont know much about wiring so i cant comment on that. (as i said i dont need to worry about that at all)

i do know the SR and KA motor mounts do differ. the SR ones set the motor down and back more then the kA ones. changes the weight ratio. that's why its suggseted to use the Nismo Mounts when you go SR.

fuel pump should ALWAYS be upgraded/changed, not a 'only if' issue. ask drift freaq, he knows plenty of people who should have but went cheap.

also changing of gaskets and basic things like thermostat, spark plug (what to use), etc is not even mentioned. to me, that's very important items.

look at the heavy throttle list of what you SHOULD change out:

http://www.srswap.com/html/info/faq_needed.htm

and a very realistic cost:
http://www.srswap.com/html/info/faq_howmuch.htm
(notice how fuel pump is not on their 'optional' section?)

since the SCC is so vague and glazed over much of the swap (example: it did not cover the 89/90 issue w/ the RPM meter), i highly suggest places like zilvia.net, freshalloy.com, srswap.com, phase2motortrend and also mckinney motorsports

when you run into issues SCC wont know sh!t.
usign them is ok for a beginning piont, but its not helping any on (some exmaples) how to remove the engine (use a hoist, but most people dont know WHERE to pull it out from), fuel pump change (lots dont know), etc

Steeles
07-01-2003, 03:01 PM
the best thing about the scc article was the nice pic of the heater hose configuration in there. I actually did find that somewhat helpful.... but that was about it. all the other info I used came from HT

Tachknight_BlackLion
07-02-2003, 01:50 PM
Dousan,

First off, let me offer you my apology for making you do all that and then taking so long to get back on the forum with a response. I was testing and tuning my 91 s13 coupe yesterday, so I didn't see your response until today. So ok I'm reloaded!!!!!!!!!

Tachknight_BlackLion: i dont know why you are telling ME to find you technicality issues w/ that article. i just said dont use it and it had bad info and such. not only that but its very vague on the whole process.

That's bs and I won't accept it. You know why I told YOU to find those issues. I told YOU to do that to prove your point that SCC was giving bad install information. The purpose was to get you to back that claim up with factual information rather than running around here spouting opinionated and biased bs about how SCC gives terrible information, because you don't like the magazine. If you're going to discredit any source of information or discourage others from using it, do it for the right reason, not because you don't like it, or they're "making the 240 mainstream now". Someone could make the same kinds of claims against Zilvia.net because they don't like it, that doesn't make them right, and I would hate to see any Nissan enthusiast rethink becoming a member here because of someone else's opinion of the info provided here.

As for the examples you provided, they don't prove your case. 1) Because SCC expressly stated that they had practically everything needed for the swap BECAUSE THEY BOUGHT THE FRONT CLIP, and they advised others to do the same so they don't find each other going nuts trying to source parts. 2)Because SCC also mentioned clearly that the Project Silvia would be on going, and the main goal in that ONE article was to get the engine running. They would continue tuning and replacing things over time in other issues and online as they have done with SEVERAL OTHER PROJECT CARS LIKE THE 240, and they have kept their word with the silvia because sure enough if you check out the website and some recent issues, they have REVISITED THE PROJECT WITH SUPPLEMENTARY INFO. And SCC has been very realistic about the price because they are doing a large percentage of the work themselves, and not paying shops to do it for them or consult them. Trust any mechanic that values his time is not going to spend the hours to advise a novice on installing an SR properly for free. Giving install info is only half the job....

when you run into issues SCC wont know sh!t.
usign them is ok for a beginning piont, but its not helping any on (some exmaples) how to remove the engine (use a hoist, but most people dont know WHERE to pull it out from), fuel pump change (lots dont know), etc

This, your final point, is laughable. The point here is that if you do not have sufficient mechanical experience to do the job confidently, you should not attempt a DIY. To do this is to accept the fact that you likely WILL make mistakes and you WILL have to dig for more info to correct YOUR mistakes. And if you don't know how to pull an engine, you probably SHOULD NOT be swapping it yourself in the first place, because you're a novice at best.

Dousan for the most part, I enjoyed the argument. I hope that you will remember in the future however, if you come after me on ANYTHING, you better come correct and prepared to BACK YOUR ISH UP. I make it a point not to talk unless I know what I am talking about, and I try my best not to jump on other members for something as trivial as suggesting a source of info because I don't like it. I hope our conversations in the future will be on a better note.

Thanks for your time......