PDA

View Full Version : changed oil and now my S13 SR sounds like a turbo diesel HELP!

rebornS14
04-06-2010, 10:45 AM
i change my oil very often, when i see it get dirty, i dont do the whole 3000 miles crap and i run mobil1 synthetic 15w50 like i always do. the only thing i did different is use a Z32 oil filter also mobil1 cause i got it from a friend who just sold his Z and didnt need it anymore. oh and i can use any nissan thread pitch filter on my ARC oil filter relocator that came with the cooler.

so i drain my pan, drain the oil cooler/filter put the Z32 filter, close my drain plug and fill the car, and i know it takes 5qts because of the oil cooler so i use the whole 5qt bottle of mobil1 i buy at walmart. i start up the car the first time and right away it's loud like a diesel truck. clack clack clack so i shut down the car.

i checked the oil level and i was fine, i added a little more oil thinking maybe i needed more oil to reach my valvetrain, thinking my lifters weren't getting oil so i start the car up again and still continues with the loud diesel truck noises. this time i keep the car running and hope it goes away but it doesnt. i revved it up a bit and still nothing.

as i rev up it gets better but when it drops down it gets loud again at idle. are my lifters shot? did i break some springs? i have rocker arm stoppers, maybe it snapped? what could have happened? i did a search on the forums and i found 1 thread talking about adjusting the valves but this aint no honda. i dont see how you can adjust self adjusting hydraulic lifters. if anyone has had this problem and can help out, please reply. thanks in advance.

S13 SR20DET Blacktop
HKS 264 cams on stock head with circuit sports rocker arm stoppers.
New oil pump about 50k miles ago.
Apex-i 1.5mm metal head gasket.
nothing much more internal =/

sounds like this clip i found on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFCTk7JoKDM

literally like a diesel truck

nddavis2
04-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Do you still have the fan mounted on the engine or did you delete it and go to electric fans? I ask because on my ka the fan clutch stopped working causing a huge amount of noise that sounded much like what you are saying.

rebornS14
04-06-2010, 02:54 PM
i have electric fans =/

i changed back to a regular SR oil filter to see if it could be the Z32 oil filter that was causing it but i get the same thing.

rebornS14
04-06-2010, 11:56 PM
problem solved.

turns out i used the wrong input output hose on the oil cooler and filter relocater i installed about a month ago. changed the hoses and it runs like a champ. some how the OEM filter worked in reverse. i did notice the rubber seal being sucked out later which led me to the hose issue.

please close or delete thread. thanks.

Bigsyke
04-07-2010, 12:01 AM
how often do you change it? Why 15w50? HDEO diesel oil? I can assure you the SR's oil pump would much rather have a 0w40, plus an oil cooler is not helping anything, esp your bearings.

Om1kron
04-07-2010, 12:13 AM
oil cooler in california isn't bad... however you should never drain the cooler when doing the oil changes.

rebornS14
04-08-2010, 08:40 AM
oil cooler in california isn't bad... however you should never drain the cooler when doing the oil changes.

really? so much oil gets unchanged =/

how often do you change it? Why 15w50? HDEO diesel oil? I can assure you the SR's oil pump would much rather have a 0w40, plus an oil cooler is not helping anything, esp your bearings.

i have minor oil leaks so i figured use thicker oil to slow it down, plus i dont see 0w40 on store shelfs so its easier to use 15w50. should i go 10w40 instead?

Soup Nazi
04-08-2010, 08:59 AM
^^ Do you have an Autozone near you? If you do they carry the 0w40. I'd get that

jdms13sr
04-08-2010, 11:08 AM
valvoline nonsynthetic 20w50 is ideal

Soup Nazi
04-08-2010, 02:03 PM
valvoline nonsynthetic 20w50 is ideal

WTF???? Why

rebornS14
04-08-2010, 11:50 PM
yea i wanna know why this is better than that. what is everyones reason.

DJPimpFlex
04-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Redline 20W50. There are a lot of oil threads on here. If you do decide to drain your cooler be sure to fill it back up. A bit of unchanged oil is better than starving your engine for oil for that extra amount of time.

D.Adams
04-09-2010, 08:50 AM
mobil delvac 15w40 - FTMFW .. i have used this oil for a lil over a year now and i would consider it being up in my top 2 oil's. Its diesel oil but works really well for the sr .

i had a lil cam tick from my pon cams and this oil got rid of it. I was using Royal Prurple but after reading about it and talking to a tech at the moblie oil test test facility in torrance they told me they put alot of money into there marketing and not enough into there oil's.

sirfallsalot243
04-09-2010, 09:32 AM
but after talking to a tech at the moblie oil test test facility in torrance they told me they put alot of money into there marketing and not enough into there oil's.

Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black there... I see way more advertisements for Mobil 1 than Royal Purple.

Soup Nazi
04-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Using an oil with a higher first number such as a 20, that is the oils viscosity when cold. Even in a warm climate thats too thick for start up IMO

mrmephistopheles
04-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Using an oil with a higher first number such as a 20, that is the oils viscosity when cold. Even in a warm climate thats too thick for start up IMO

I respectfully disagree. I use 20W50 in my 240, and it LOVES it. Pressure is good and there is no ticking from poor lubrication or pressure. I know Jersey can get 'hot', but it doesn't often see 110+ degree days.

Anyway, we use it year-round, and had it in our van (which originally called for 10W30), which also liked it.

Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, but so far its worked well.