PDA

View Full Version : Q: Sr20det Tranny

xeemersil80
04-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Well i am not sure if i am suppose to post up a question on here, but maybe after this post i will find out if i am suppose to..lol

I have a sr20det transmission that wont stay in fifth gear. i am rebuilding my SR from bottom up and the previous owners told me that the fifth gear wont stay in unless i hold it into fifth gear.

I tried to fix it on my own, but was not successful at it. I couldn't take it apart so i just put it back together and asked for advice on what i should do. I read on the SR threads on here about how the SR tranny isn't that good and it breaks down easily. Some of my friends said that it could be the gears inside that have gone bad and some other stuff too. Some said it is better that i just buy a new one. And some said i should take it to a transmission shop and have them rebuild it so i can sustain more power..

So my question is what i should do??

HYPNOTIK
04-05-2010, 01:55 AM
Don't waste your money rebuilding it unless it's a cheap easy fix(which I'm betting it won't be). Either find another one or upgrade to a Z32/RB25 mission.

D.Adams
04-05-2010, 02:21 AM
buy a ka trans and swap the bell housings ....

hassanbakar123
04-05-2010, 02:36 AM
i have a ka trany (s13)

Renelovesnike
04-05-2010, 03:11 AM
Just spend 100 or less on a ka tranny and swap the housings!! "sr and ka trannys are the same exept for the bell housing"

and dont get z32/rb tranny unless ur putting down alota horse power!

xeemersil80
04-05-2010, 09:26 AM
thanx guys..well umm let see i do have still have a regular KA in my car right now so maybe i can swap out the bell housing..but the sr bell housing is a little damage and has a crack from when the clutch is release so the inside has scratches around and i guess one time i must have been so bad that it damaged the bell housing..so yea..maybe i will look around for another tranny..

But if i get a z32/rb will it just bolt on to the sr or will i have to change out the bell housing??..if so then i probably will just get another sr tranny..

SNS-S13
04-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Hey, i have an extra sr20 tranny lying around my gargage...hit me up if you want to buy it...

Raimel

DALAZ_68
04-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Just spend 100 or less on a ka tranny and swap the housings!! "SR, KA, & CA gear boxes are the same exept for the bell housing (and fifth gear being a bit longer on the KA, very minimal difference) "

and dont get z32/rb tranny unless ur putting down alota horse power!

thoughts id fix that for yah...

the only reason i would upgrade ot a z32/rd tranny is if you
A) had the funds
B)a lot of powah
or even
C) low powah but want a tranny that will take the beating ull give it without worrying about it... ;) <which is my current want... :naughty:

xeemersil80
04-05-2010, 02:33 PM
thanks..guys

okay so i see my options are there for me, but i still like to see if someone can answer my question..if i get a z32/rb tranny would i have to do any modifications to it so that it will fit my sr motor..or will it just bolt on?? how much does an z32/rb run for??

slider2828
04-05-2010, 03:14 PM
^^ Look on Mazworkx site.... done...... tranny probably $500 or more.

DALAZ_68
04-05-2010, 05:02 PM
^^ Look on Mazworkx site.... done...... tranny probably $500 or more.
ive bought 2 z32 trans for a friend and they only cost roughly 180-250... pretty much what i good running SR/KA transmission would cost...