PDA

View Full Version : (Traction Rod/Rear Forward Link) Tuning Help

MrMigs
06-27-2003, 03:45 AM
So... it controls the rear bump steer. I'd like the rear end of my car to have zero (or close to zero) bump steer. The car normally toes in when the suspension compresses and toes out when the suspension decompresses. I'd like it to stay put.

Anyone have any experience with tuning the length of this rod?

MrMigs
06-27-2003, 03:22 PM
stop hiding your secrets. I know some ppl in here know what's up! :aw:

95Blue240sx
06-27-2003, 04:58 PM
the answer you seek is north!

MrMigs
06-27-2003, 11:06 PM
har har indeed indeed
All in good time, my son

sykikchimp
06-28-2003, 10:38 AM
I don't think it's possible for the 240 to have zero bumpsteer in the rear. you can minimize it by making sure that the upper forward link is parallel to the ground while at ride hieght.

MrMigs
06-28-2003, 01:56 PM
Ahh interesting. Thanks, chimp :D

LanceS13
06-29-2003, 01:44 AM
Your toe is going to change throughout suspension travel...there's no way around it. This is called the toe curve. There are ways to minimize it, but not eliminate it (in our suspension, anyway). I think what causes bumpsteer is when you lower a car, you move out of the design range of the suspension and the toe change per unit of suspension travel increases as the suspension in compressed. The only way, you could make the link level at ride height is to change the mounting points. I'm not sure what effect changing the link's length would have. Some good ol' hands-on research (or some sort of computer sim research...probably better if you can find a program with the right capabilites) would probably be required to get it just right.