PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt SR redtop running terribly....

mytagsucks
03-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Ok so I just had my redtop rebuilt by TougeFactory out here in IL and got everything put in and it just runs like complete poop. Sounds like its firing off of only 3 cylinders, running rich (sparkplugs have residue on them and can smell it through the exhaust). ECU is throwing me a 55, so I have no idea what could possibly be going on with my SR. No vaccum or boost leaks are apparent either. I'm stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

bl3ujay07
03-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Well, if it feels like its running on 3 cylinders, check your injectors. Pull out the pluggs to see which injector does not make a difference. make sure the injector is working fine, that or make sure the injector is not leaking. My .02

rc1honda
03-30-2010, 06:35 PM
OH NOES a cub fan. JK, sounds like a timing issue. Check mechanical timing. I had a similar problem. Bad timing makes it stumble, lose power and run rich.

If everything is on the straight and narrow with the motor. I would guess bad maf, injectors, or bad timing.

mytagsucks
03-30-2010, 09:42 PM
well I mean mechanical timing should be sound, I just had it rebuilt, it hasn't been driven a mile. Electrical timing then? the injectors are running fine too btw, checked those out. Maf looked nice and clean when I checked it out but I'll try unplugging it tomorrow to see if it does anything.
Now when fixing the timing with a timing gun, mine is a basic craftsman, nothing special, I really don't get what I do to adjust the degrees if it is off. I think my fsm isn't complete because I cant find anything on it in there. Do I just turn the dial on the CAS until i reach the BTDC/15 degree mark?
And how the hell is my car supposed to warm up before timing it with the gun if it runs like crap and I don't want it ruining my freshly rebuilt engine?

bl3ujay07
03-30-2010, 10:21 PM
well, check your injectors and then come back with results. Injector plugs can be faulty or leaking injector fouling out plugs. Check injectors by unplugging injector connectors to see if there is one that doesnt change how the car idles and then go on from there.

it will only take like a sec

mytagsucks
03-31-2010, 06:35 AM
ok will do today, but honestly they seemed to be spraying fine when I checked the other day

bl3ujay07
03-31-2010, 10:40 AM
How do you know they were spraying fine? Did you take the injectors and rail out to test them?

mytagsucks
03-31-2010, 01:52 PM
yea, I took the rail off but left the injectors attached and just cranked it. they all are spraying equal amounts.
The thing I'm worried about though is when I'm testing all of these things, how bad is it for my engine? I mean I don't want to break it in wrong, and I'm really afraid of doing that

bl3ujay07
03-31-2010, 08:36 PM
Well, you got fuel, now check for spark on the coil packs. if you say that it sounds like its running on 3 cylinders, those would be the first and easiest thing to check for.