PDA

View Full Version : How many miles on your BUILT internals?

brian3676
03-29-2010, 11:22 PM
Just kinda askin for fun, What pistons do you have and how long (time or miles) have you had them? Torque plate used? boost? I know there is a lot of variables on this topic, but lets just see what you post up anyway. (CP, mahle, JE, Supertech, Tomi, HKS, greddy ect....) member to post your engine

If this goes in general chat i guess move it, realized that after posting

Sileighty_85
03-30-2010, 12:11 AM
Whats the purpose of this question? Stock blocks will hold 500hp and have lasted 14-20years now, any upgraded quality piston/internals will outperform/match the Stock internals.

The only variables that will determine the life/performace of the engine (other than the builder of the engine) will be the ECU and TUNE setup.

Odysseus
03-30-2010, 12:16 AM
I dont understand this much...But Supertech pistons/rings, Eagle rods, ACL bearings, 2K miles on the whole motor, 14 PSI, Power FC, Tuned at Portland Speed Industries.

Chrischeezer
03-30-2010, 12:39 AM
I think i see where this discussion is going to wind up. Built/ rebuilt motors don't last long.
just keep in mind,

The Car Manufactures have Infinite funds and knowledge when it comes to building engines. They can calculate the exact moment a part will fail under any condition, power endurance.. whatever the case maybe. They have the smartest people building their equipment to insure a mass produced engine will last for 100's of thousands of miles.

I had a rebuilt sr20, ALL OEM bottom end parts.. (fully built head (mazworx) t28 10psi) built by a very respectable machine shop, lasted about 12k miles...

Isn't it all our dreams to have a truly bullet proof engine....

boosted98gst
03-30-2010, 02:57 AM
2006 evo 9 has 17000 miles on it now, rebilt the engine with 700 from factory

Stock 2 liter
Br rods
Br spec je pistons
Br bs shaf elem

Head:
Br dual valve spring retainters
Br intake exhaust valves
Br 272 272 cams

That's the basic engine build but on killmode I run 38 psi car was built to see more street time then track. Best et 9.8 best trap 151 mph and yes I daily the car to work,never trailored the car drive to and from track.

fckillerbee
03-30-2010, 02:49 PM
2006 evo 9 has 17000 miles on it now, rebilt the engine with 700 from factory

Stock 2 liter
Br rods
Br spec je pistons
Br bs shaf elem

Head:
Br dual valve spring retainters
Br intake exhaust valves
Br 272 272 cams

That's the basic engine build but on killmode I run 38 psi car was built to see more street time then track. Best et 9.8 best trap 151 mph and yes I daily the car to work,never trailored the car drive to and from track.

does it looks stock? pictures?

boosted98gst
03-31-2010, 06:20 AM
does it looks stock? pictures?

I will get some pic's , its going to be nice out today so I will clean it up and grab a few, its nothing special looking pretty much stock, becides set a rims, coilovers, and jdm rear bumper. either way I have some videos of it also, I will get them up tonight.

PoorMans180SX
03-31-2010, 06:26 AM
I think i see where this discussion is going to wind up. Built/ rebuilt motors don't last long.
just keep in mind,

The Car Manufactures have Infinite funds and knowledge when it comes to building engines. They can calculate the exact moment a part will fail under any condition, power endurance.. whatever the case maybe. They have the smartest people building their equipment to insure a mass produced engine will last for 100's of thousands of miles.

I had a rebuilt sr20, ALL OEM bottom end parts.. (fully built head (mazworx) t28 10psi) built by a very respectable machine shop, lasted about 12k miles...

Your "very respectable machine shop" didn't know what they were doing or you didn't break it in right.

There is no reason that a built engine won't last just as long as a stocker. Obviously built engines get beat on more, but still.

Auto manufacturers aren't the gods of engine building.

boosted98gst
03-31-2010, 06:36 AM
just keep in mind,

You obvious do not know much about how auto plants work, I work for Honda of america for R&D . You realize the average joe builds these engines right? My job at honda is to maintain the paint dept and engine mount and engine production at the Anna engine plant. Most the people that built honda motors do not even have any type of mechanical skill, Most being middle age female's . What they are good at is doing the same thing over and over and being able to take directions and applying it. Most our workers at honda do not even have a college education, so when you say smartest people, that is far from the truth, because is just your average hard working americans. By no means was I offending anyone that works at honda by not saying they are not smart, I know several of you guys on here know me in person from working at the plant,

fliprayzin240sx
03-31-2010, 06:59 AM
My rebuilt engine is roughly a year old. Reused my old Greddy 87mm pistons, eagle rods, fresh bearings, arp main studs, arp head studs, all tomei goodies in the head (solid lifters, springs, valves, 270 cams), strapped with a GT3582R.

D.Adams
03-31-2010, 09:04 AM
i have Wisco pistons with Eagle H-beam rods and all ARP studs in my sr and im 11,000 plus miles on the motor. but i hardly ever boost over 10psi.

sliksta1
03-31-2010, 09:37 AM
ive got around 60k+ on my rebuilt with mahle pistons, stock rods, arp head studs and apexi head gasket. first engine ive ever rebuilt by myself. drive it everyday to work and back, in the winter and all. im boosting it with a 2871r and have it at 16-18 pounds. though i dont beat the piss out of it everyday i do get on it every now and then. i think if you build your shit right and use a FSM there shouldnt be no reason why it shouldnt last. i dont really trust anyone else when it comes to working with my engine thats why i built it my self.

DRFT180
03-31-2010, 12:42 PM
KADE

Arias pistons 8.8:1
AMS rods
Calico bearings
New OEM oil pump
Everything else, gaskets, head, etc. is stock and were replaced or freshend up when built.
GT32 on 7-14psi

Built it myself, following specs from the FSM.

Has about 10k miles on it, I no longer daily drive it so whenever I do drive it now it is to events and it is beaten on.

jr_ss
03-31-2010, 06:47 PM
There is a lot more variables that go into engine life. RPMS it turns at, length of time is sees those RPMS, power it is making and Ultimately, a tune is what makes or breaks engines. Boost pressure doesn't really mean much, as 15psi from a GT28R is far different from say a GT30R or a GT35R.

My car is at 4 mons and about 2k miles. However, it is not my daily and when I do drive it, I get into it. It is taken to the local drag strip and revved to 7400rpms.

JE's
Eagles'
Cosworth bearings
Toda cams
Supertech DVS
Cosworth HG
3071R at 13psi daily.

Sileighty_85
03-31-2010, 06:53 PM
just keep in mind,

Thats sad, I built my engine in the corner of my living room 3 years ago and about 25,000 miles on it now, now pushing 21 PSI making 363whp.

Might i add this was the first engine i built from the crank up and i DD'd/Drifted/Little Drag it for 2 1/2 years everyday along with multiple 800 mile round trips.

track bound
03-31-2010, 06:58 PM
Honda engine mounts suck. They are basically 2 rubber band and a bumper and the accord's have that stupid vacuum operated rear engine mount that turns into a vacuum leak. how much r&d went into those designs?

hockeyrules
03-31-2010, 07:14 PM
chrischeeezer- Who built your bottom end?

az_240
03-31-2010, 07:24 PM
How long it lasts depends on how well the person built it. You could have the best parts ever but if everything is not within spec and just slapped together don't expect it to last long.

hockeyrules
03-31-2010, 07:28 PM
How long it lasts depends on how well the person built it. You could have the best parts ever but if everything is not within spec and just slapped together don't expect it to last long.

I do agree.

Chrischeezer
03-31-2010, 11:32 PM
They have the smartest people building their equipment to insure a mass produced engine will last for 100's of thousands of miles.

ohh stfu

i didn't say they have the smartest people building their engines, I WAS giving a perspective on the effort put into creating a motor built from the factory!

but the proses the engine block will go through will ensure it's durability and life for 100's of thousands of miles, also the parts that are made and instruments and machines used during its assembly.
some of that shit will blow your mind...(example (http://jalopnik.com/5467038/the-ford-engine-technology-good-enough-for-the-nissan-gt+r)) <--click
"yeah their pretty stupid"
http://www.blogcdn.com/green.autoblog.com/media/2009/06/sigma_ptwa_spraying.jpg

If your going for a rebuild obviously some machine shops are exceptions and take the time , very hard to find. and don't expect that type of attention applied to just anyone rebuilding.

my engine wasn't a dd... engine reved to 9000. Had about 3-4 hours accumulated road racing.

boosted98gst
04-01-2010, 12:32 AM
Honda engine mounts suck. They are basically 2 rubber band and a bumper and the accord's have that stupid vacuum operated rear engine mount that turns into a vacuum leak. how much r&d went into those designs?

Not much, either way from sales the accord seems to be doing decent. I do not design anything so who knows. I overlook all the american workers at R&D all I do is bitch at people haha. Honda moved my family from japan to the US to work here in the states, Honda of america does thing much better the honda is japan thats for damn sure.

sunnys14
04-01-2010, 01:13 AM
11k on my built KA

Supertech pistons, Eagle rods, clevite bearings, all ARP hardware, Cometic headgasket, stock head, Kelford 272 cams, GT3076R @ 24psi. Revving to 7400rpm

I LUV MY S13
04-01-2010, 01:14 AM
this thread is perfect, gives me a good perspective on rebuilds...im pickin up an rb25 this summer and plan on fully rebuilding it, most likely stock internals..

PoorMans180SX
04-01-2010, 06:22 AM
some of that shit will blow your mind...(example (http://jalopnik.com/5467038/the-ford-engine-technology-good-enough-for-the-nissan-gt+r))
my engine wasn't a dd... engine reved to 9000. Had about 3-4 hours accumulated road racing.

Your link has nothing to do with the traditional "built" engine. VR38DETT's are hand assembled by one man in a clean room. Sprayed on cylinder liners are hardly common.

A competent machine shop should be able to machine things to the correct tolerances, and if you put the engine back together with factory specs, it should last just as long as a factory engine under whatever conditions you put it in. In fact, it should last longer if you put it together with better, lighter parts that are more balanced. Engine builders have used this concept for years to create reliable, high-horsepower engines.

boosted98gst
04-01-2010, 07:51 AM
Your link has nothing to do with the traditional "built" engine. VR38DETT's are hand assembled by one man in a clean room. Sprayed on cylinder liners are hardly common.

A competent machine shop should be able to machine things to the correct tolerances, and if you put the engine back together with factory specs, it should last just as long as a factory engine under whatever conditions you put it in. In fact, it should last longer if you put it together with better, lighter parts that are more balanced. Engine builders have used this concept for years to create reliable, high-horsepower engines.

I agree , that's why I feel when it comes to shops that only work on one or two different motors are better then a normal shop. There is a big difference in a machine shop that is use to put together 4 bolt main big blocks with tollerences much different in high hp small displcement turbo motors. The honest machine shops will tell you they do not feel comfortable the ones who rip you off are the ones who pratice with ur motor

Chrischeezer
04-03-2010, 12:15 AM
i have never seen a built motor last longer then 15k miles.
Obviously these motors weren't babied around, but you can understand that it seems nothing will last long if its beaten/used.

jr_ss
04-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Obviously these motors weren't babied around, but you can understand that it seems nothing will last long if its beaten/used.

Either way, one can't expect a built motor to last extremely long because it was built to be beaten on. Atleast that's my perspective on it. I didn't build my motor to drive like a grandma. Things do break have a breaking point and it will happen, just a matter of time. Thankfully, I'm fortunate enough to not have the S14 as my daily any more and can beat the crap out of it if I want too. Boost is just way too much fun.

Sileighty_85
04-03-2010, 12:50 AM
well i guess ill be the first then.

Like i said before my Built SR been kickin for over 25,000 miles
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/Neil_85/HG-1.jpg

I think ya'll local engine builder sucks

doomviillain
04-03-2010, 01:54 AM
Either way, one can't expect a built motor to last extremely long because it was built to be beaten on. Atleast that's my perspective on it. I didn't build my motor to drive like a grandma. Things do break have a breaking point and it will happen, just a matter of time. Thankfully, I'm fortunate enough to not have the S14 as my daily any more and can beat the crap out of it if I want too. Boost is just way too much fun.
then i guess its all on the person building it then. whether at a shop or at home

boosted98gst
04-03-2010, 02:14 AM

someone must not be building them right, mine is @ 17k built miles, with over 150 passes on this motor and tranny set up. I just took her out of winter hiding last week, hit the track up tonight for a few shakedown passes, clicked off a 10.5 flat and 10.6 on pump gas and only taking it to 9,000 rpm, its usually 10,000 on killmode then drove 75 miles home with the wife and kid in the back.

let5l1de
04-03-2010, 02:21 AM
Back to the OP question...

23,000mi

NA KA24DE (s14 OBDII) in 89 coupe. Daily driven (hard onto frwys) and never exceeds 7k on the tach.

Wiseco Pistons 89.5mm 9.3:1cr
Eagle ESP Rods w/ARP Hardware
Calico Coated Main & Rod Brgs
Knife edged and lightened OEM std/std crank
ARP Main Studs
ARP Head Studs
BC Springs/Titanium Retainers
BC Stage 2 cams (currently have s13 240/248 installed and recently passed state bar test)
Fully match ported S14 head with additional work in chambers and bowls.

Built by GR Performance. For those that don't know, that's me!

---

There is no such thing as bulletproof... It's a known fact that any and every engine ever built will endure stress and fatigue over a period of time, no matter how short or long lived. Well built engines in stock or modified form can live long lives providing great care is take not only during the build and tune, but also with good driving characteristics/experience. Also, please rely on your reputable engine builders advice and recommendations with "RPM LIMITS" or peak power/torque information! Exceeding recommended RPM limits will kill all engines. PERIOD......

~mario

negrosx13
04-03-2010, 02:56 AM
It all comes down to how/who/with what parts your rebuilding your engine with.

also depends on how you maintain your motor, using the right oil,change the oil after every 2-3 events(figure if drive it back and forth).
just my .2 cent

Chrischeezer
04-03-2010, 05:29 PM
well i guess ill be the first then.
I think ya'll local engine builders suck

not going to deny that. but i added an S to your quote

someone must not be building them right, mine is @ 17k built miles, with over 150 passes on this motor and tranny set up. I just took her out of winter hiding last week, hit the track up tonight for a few shakedown passes, clicked off a 10.5 flat and 10.6 on pump gas and only taking it to 9,000 rpm, its usually 10,000 on killmode then drove 75 miles home with the wife and kid in the back.

wow.. sounds good to me! where is your machine shop?