PDA

View Full Version : SE vs base model?

JDM180
06-26-2003, 12:51 AM
i just started looking for a nice 240sx for sale but i recently looked at a 93' SE model but had a major leak from the sunroof! the only reason i want an SE is becuz the all-wheel-disc brakes and the alloy wheels, and thats about it, i was wondering if the base model 240SX comes with all-wheel-disc brakes, and im not worried about rims cuz momma dukes is gonna cover that ...but one more question???does the base model 240SX still create 155-HP out of the KA24DE? any answers would help!

FastBack 240
06-26-2003, 01:02 AM
yes they do put out the same horses as the fully loaded but also if you really want to own up to your name and have a 180sx, power options may slow you down(a little) and will give you a little more weight. Also with the disc breaks all 240sx's have them all the way around.

SilviaSR20DET
06-26-2003, 01:04 AM
I have a base s14 5sp and from what i know is that all 240's have all wheel disc brakes. For the engine, depends on what year your getting the 89-90 is sohc so watch for that but after that year all 240s are 155hp 160 torque. The benefits of the SE is that it comes with sunroof, rear sway bar, 5lug and foglights. Hope this helps.

JDM180
06-26-2003, 01:09 AM
thanx alot, well this helps becuz now i can look for the base model without any worries....i have a little over $4000 to spend and i need to find one for around 3500 with up to date maintenence this way i can put money into the little JDM dress-up....first thing is kouki type x tail-lights, i can pick up the whole kit on ebay for 400 bucks and then get the center bezel painted for somewhere around 100 bucks, we'll see, time will tell, thanx for the help!..and if i do find a 240 then maybe in a few years, an SR20DET front clip would be nice!

JDM180
06-26-2003, 01:14 AM
oh yea forgot to mention, im looking specifically for a 91-93 fastback, i cant afford to make the coupe look like its jdm model-the sileighty!!! but a clean fastback, with those tailights would be plenty for me! and im aware of the 89-90 single cam....im not gonna mess with that! i gotta have DOHC!! one more question? best 1/4 mile time i've seen for stock is 16.1.....has anyone seen better? and how difficult would it be to get the car into high 15's? i wanna be able to stay next to civic Si's and inetgra GSR'S which obviously run high 15's stock!

FastBack 240
06-26-2003, 01:19 AM
In a previous post someone on the forum was running about 14.91 with his header wrapped, wires, intake, exhaust, and maybe plugs but im not sure. If u do a search u might find it.

RedlineRacer
06-26-2003, 08:20 PM
Don't the SOHC's run faster? I remember someone posting about that a few months ago. Like the SOHC's ran like .2 seconds faster.

JDM180
06-26-2003, 09:46 PM
i wouldnt be surprised if SOHC did run quicker becuz alot of people say SOHC has more low end power which 1/4 mile is! look at a mustang-SOHC and lots of torque and then u have a COBRA which is DOHC, that cobra is quick 1/4 mile but im sure has an aweosme top end! I'VE HEARD DOHC HELPS TOP END.

misnomer
06-26-2003, 11:25 PM
*sits and waits for Dousan to reply here*

First off, need to correct some missinformation. There are NO s13s with five lug wheels, that was only on the s14s. If you have an s13, it's got four lugs (unless you've changed it). Power options or not have little to do with owning up to being a 180sx, though we really don't need to open up that can of worms. If you ask me, not enough people appreciate the 240sx for what it is. Talk about a car with a worn motor? Every thread you search somebody will mention "swap." Banged up front end? Get the OMG SILVIA CONVERSION!!!! Oh well. . . :-)

DOHC vs SOHC: Doesn't matter, both are damn fine motors that can go fast. In general, the twin cams are quicker, but most of what I've read around here implies the SOHC breathes easier and is easier to work on N/A. Compared to other cars in the class, either motor is considered torquey without the greatest top end, it's just the nature of the beast.

As far as making your car faster goes, invest in some driving skill. Quarter mile times realistically cannot be guaged by what goodie's you've put on or taken off of your engine. Want to keep up with a Civic Si? Stick to the limits and you'll pass him while he's getting his speeding ticket :P

JDM180
06-27-2003, 09:50 PM
i kno what ur saying about the lug thingy, im well aware that s13's only have four lugs whether they're SE or the base model! but lug nuts is the least of my worries! right now im searching for a 91-93 240 that has reasonable mileage and has been maintained well! my dad is real picky about condition of cars, he owns a 1983 911sc which is in excellent condition, and has little mods hear and there so he's a big porsche head but he also owned an 86 rx-7 which is in the same class as a 240.....small engine, rear wheel drive! easier to work on the drivetrain, blah blah blah! i live in west palm beach, florida and insurance is a joke down here so i had to find a car with a small displacement and RWD so 240 here i come! but if i enjoy the car and want to get into more power then.....SR20DET, YEA! lower miles and a low 14 second rice rocket, that sounds like fun to me!

PARAD0X
06-27-2003, 11:16 PM
wow, i just read your post and you only use ( ! ) to end a sentence. is it really that exciting?

twitchy
06-29-2003, 02:20 AM
I can keep up to a stock civic Si, keep up to not beat

if you mean the 160 horse model, cause in canada its called the SIR and my dad drives a canadian Si (I believe thats the EX to the americans)

a guy I know has one with all the usual body kit stuff, wing, fart cannon, bla bla bla and I kill him between a set of lights and on highway its tight..

wpayne
06-29-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by JDM180
oh yea forgot to mention, im looking specifically for a 91-93 fastback, i cant afford to make the coupe look like its jdm model-the sileighty!!! but a clean fastback, with those tailights would be plenty for me!

There is no "JDM" model of the 240 coupe (assuming it's an s13).
You can't turn the coupe into a sil-eighty dumbass unless you can cut the trunk and rear pillars and weld on the hatch. good luck.