PDA

View Full Version : rb25det + $4k = ?

smileyturbo
03-24-2010, 01:29 PM
I have an rb25det and 4 grand to get parts to make this a 500 to 600WHP engine, is this possible? I did a bit of research and I figured bigger turbo like a gt35 or a tweaked gt42 with less spool time ,turbo lines, downpipe, exhaust manifold, injectors, fuel pump, boost controler(preferrably dual setting for high and low boost, AEM EMS, BOV9 my hks ssq I read is notorios for leaking during high boost. What I dunno is wheres the best place to find the type of kit Im looking for. I understand that the cheaper the less quality Ill get but at the same time Im not richie rich so there are limits. is there a good website to shop for this setup, and also do you guys recommend any specific brands or names as far as a particular turbo or kit?:bash:

I LUV MY S13
03-24-2010, 01:40 PM
frsports is loaded with stuff and have good brands

Zacho
03-24-2010, 01:55 PM
The AEM EMS, GT35R(or the like), a half decent manifold, possibly the fab work as well and you are out of money.

You still need the fuel pump, injectors, more than likely a rail, clutch to support the power, proper oil system mods, turbo lines and fittings, tuning expenses, wideband, proper gauges, possible oil cooler, front facing plenum (at that power, I wouldn't go without), boost controller, more than likely newer coilpacks, thicker headgasket, and deal with all the bumps along the way. And I'm just getting started. Don't forget the 10mm crank snout of the RB25...it can become an issue with added power.

4k to 500-600hp...Not a chance. Once pushing to 450-500 mark it is a very, very good idea to work on the bottom end. A properly tuned RB25 would be happy at 400. At the goals you want, a good oil pump is essential to an RB...I don't know if you have looked, but Nismo, Tomei, Jun all run about 600-1200 on their own. That is just an example of the costs, to put it in perspective.

An RB25 + 4K can be a very solid start. The typical mods can be done like the greddy intake manifold, 3 inch exhaust, a tune of sorts (no fuel controllers please), get a new timing belt/idler/tensioner, front mount i/c, possibly a slightly larger turbo etc.

Basically what I'm saying is...RB's aren't cheap, no matter what way you decide to go about modifying them. I'm not trying to scare you from modifying it, just sharing my experience.

blueshark123
03-24-2010, 02:06 PM
flux capacitor?

U cant do some research for god sake look at some other people setups and copy wtf. Its not rocket science.

midnight_rex
03-24-2010, 03:37 PM
flux capacitor?

U cant do some research for god sake look at some other people setups and copy wtf. Its not rocket science.
it is rocket science when it comes to making a power goal + reliably drivable.

rocket science consist of good research and development. this is what this guy is doing. didnt you ask questions in school when you needed help?

to the OP, Zacho gave some very good advice and tips. start with the affordable essentials to work your way up slowly.

eh?
03-24-2010, 04:29 PM
You may be able do it in a pinch with used parts. But you WILL break piston ring lands sooner or later. So why bother on a limited budget?

Ghost240
03-24-2010, 04:39 PM
RB20 / RB25 / RB26 Forum: Nissan Forums and Infiniti Forums - NICOclub (http://forums.nicoclub.com/zeroforum?id=135)

oh and check the aussie forums out for info. My goals are much more moderate at 400rwhp and it is possible but it's not cheap. Reliability becomes more of an issue above 450+whp. I have another bottom end I am building just in case/ i want more power later on.

smileyturbo
03-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Thxs for all your input. Thanks for the eye opener Zacho. As far as copying other peoples set up its not easy num 1 cause im in iraq, num 2 i dont have that many 240sx guys I know except for yall.Num 3 copying something of the internet doesnt seem smart at all, I prefer to understand it myself. As I was saying yeah it does seem like s smarter way to buil up slowly thxs I know what I must do, Ill post up any updates I get.

eklips3
03-24-2010, 10:15 PM
just buy a full race turbo kit .. you will be happy.

Darius
03-25-2010, 07:00 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble but $4000 isn't going to get you to 500-600 whp. This means you will need 650 bhp at the crank. The stock pistons are not up for that kind of abuse with reasonable reliability. If you tone your goal down to <500 whp, you'll save a ton of money and still have a crazy-fast/traction breaking street car.

For greater than 500whp (roughly accepted max output on stock pistons), you'll need new internals, machining, gasket kit, turbo, turbo manifold, injectors, fuel pump, ECU, boost controller, piping, intercooler, and on and on...

You're on the right track, but a turbo, exh. manifold, injectors and intake manifold will probably blow $3000 right there and we haven't even gotten into pistons, rods, and fasteners. If you trim the goal back a bit, you can still use a lot of factory parts including the fugly intake manifold.

dr1ft32
03-25-2010, 08:45 PM
if you car is still all stock, i think its gonna be more than that. i have pistons, rods, valve springs, retainers, exhuast, fmic, bov, and i dont even have a turbo yet and im down the drain 3-4k already, and thats not even without a proper engine management and talk about tuning time

malemodel69
03-26-2010, 12:26 AM
My buddies have 2 set ups. Built RB25 with alcohol and a gt35, other has the same thing but not built and no alcohol. The cars take my stock RB like i'm standing still. The built RB is good for about 700HP the other is a bit of a gamble. RB's are not cheap and i would not monkey around and cut corners, because mine was swapped by some douchebag who cut corners, and once i bought the car i spent a good 3K fixing these problems - not on power upgrades! 4K is like pissing in a bucket - won't get you far with RB motors, you pretty much need to spend that 4K+/- to building the bottom end, and get the proper ECU, injectors, NISTUNE etc.

fliprayzin240sx
03-26-2010, 03:17 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble but $4000 isn't going to get you to 500-600 whp. This means you will need 650 bhp at the crank. The stock pistons are not up for that kind of abuse with reasonable reliability. If you tone your goal down to <500 whp, you'll save a ton of money and still have a crazy-fast/traction breaking street car.

For greater than 500whp (roughly accepted max output on stock pistons), you'll need new internals, machining, gasket kit, turbo, turbo manifold, injectors, fuel pump, ECU, boost controller, piping, intercooler, and on and on...

You're on the right track, but a turbo, exh. manifold, injectors and intake manifold will probably blow $3000 right there and we haven't even gotten into pistons, rods, and fasteners. If you trim the goal back a bit, you can still use a lot of factory parts including the fugly intake manifold.

Hate to say bullshit on that, I got a buddy who has a stock bottom end RB25 making over 600whp. Was beating on that thing for over 2 yrs now. Proper tuning is what will always make or break it...

Here's his setup from his build thread.
RB25 (stock bottom end)
HKS 264 in/ex cams with matching cam gears
Tomei valve springs
Tomei headgasket (stock 9:1 compression)
ARP Headstuds
RB26 oil pump
RB26 individual throttle bodies and surge tank using port matched adapter to RB25 head
100mm intake piping
80mm intercooler piping (ebay special)
4'' (4 core?) intercooler (ebay special)
Full exhaust with RSR catback
RB26 D-Jetro Power FC with boost control kit
Stec top mount stainless manifold
2 Stec 50mm wastegates heavily ported
Holset HX40 turbo with 19cm ex housing

eh?
03-26-2010, 08:54 AM
Hate to say bullshit on that, I got a buddy who has a stock bottom end RB25 making over 600whp. Was beating on that thing for over 2 yrs now. Proper tuning is what will always make or break it...

Here's his setup from his build thread.

Is this a black r32 and the owners name is Chris and goes by Cjmartz2k on Nico?

fliprayzin240sx
03-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Is this a black r32 and the owners name is Chris and goes by Cjmartz2k on Nico?

That be the same bastard...

He was trying to blow that fucking engine but it wouldnt die. He was waiting for a reason to build the bottom end but he ended up going back to the states before it happened. He should be coming back to this shithole in about 2 months, so we'll see what kinda shit he's gonna pull out of his ass then.

1GayDrifter
03-30-2010, 11:50 PM
get an adjustable harmonic balancer before u do anything. proper oiling is key first.

Darius
03-31-2010, 08:13 AM
That be the same bastard...

Most guys can't get a tune like Cjmartz2k. He's an anomoly.:D And I am pretty sure he's back already. Last month maybe??

Either way he has way more than $4k into his setup.

PoorMans180SX
03-31-2010, 08:23 AM
The AEM EMS, GT35R(or the like), a half decent manifold, possibly the fab work as well and you are out of money.

You still need the fuel pump, injectors, more than likely a rail, etc, etc.

What he said.

Focus on reliability. New oil pump, water pump, reseal the oil pan, get new hoses, maybe an oil cooler with thermostat.

Worry about power later.

DALAZ_68
03-31-2010, 09:02 AM
has anyone mention how much the mounts alone cost...!?

or are we just assuming the motor is already in?

bl3ujay07
03-31-2010, 10:46 AM
Honestly, 4k is not much when working with such engines. When i still had my sr, i spent 3k and all i got was a lot of new gaskets for a rebuild, EMS (power fc), injectors, turbo (gt2871r), and a tune. Had some other stuff previously installed already on it but needed/wanted those.

babillaracing
03-31-2010, 12:40 PM
i know is not the same engine but both are 6 cylinders and pretty alike when it comes to upgrades. i gonna list the parts and prices on stuff i bought for my 2j to make around 550 whp on pump gas

aem ems $1700
(2) pte wastegate 46 mm $300 ea
6 injectors dynamics 1000 cc $700
injector clinic fuel rail $200
precision billet 67 mm turbo $1200
fuel set up braided lines fittings xtra pump etc $500
tuning $450-$700
quality big front mount intercooler and piping $1500
down pipe $500
good brand exhaust manifold $200-$2000
intake manifold $500-$1200
hope this help.....

teamsprock
03-31-2010, 02:16 PM
I agree work on reliability first, and as you do that you will learn more as well. If you need to ask how you are going to get that power you probably need more knowledge on the subject because even if you make that kind of power you will be always working on your car so your better off taking your time and slowly building the engine and then going after more power. The best thing that ever happened to me was buying a car that the motor ended up being toast in. I learned so much about cars from that and my car would never have made it to what it is now without that push to build the engine and understand everything I could about the engine, wiring and sensors.

Also have you ever driven/owned a car with that kind of power? Even 350-400hp is a lot to handle. No reason to have that kind of power unless you can control it which will cost a lot more than $4,000 for brakes, suspension, drivetrain, tires, etc. Enjoy your car and move forward slowly and get quality parts. You will thank yourself later when they all work well together and last a long time.