PDA

View Full Version : Possible blown turbo seals on S15 T28

Prelude Guy
03-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Hey guys,

Well, I think I made a mistake. I thought I ordered the right SS turbo lines with the correct oil restrictor. When I ordered the lines, I even asked the saleman if I have the correct restrictor. I told him I was using my OEM S13 oil restrictor and that I heard I need a restrictor. He said I will be fine. Well, after researching, I don't think I have the right ones because I wasn't charged any additional amount for the correct restrictor. :-/

Ok, with that said, I got my 240SX running about this time last year. It's a 3rd car so I haven't driven it much because I have had a few things I need to take care of (primarily a clutch issue). I have driven the car maybe 300 miles, and I think that might even be a stretch.

A few weeks ago, I was about to take the car to work just to charge the battery up. I noticed a lot of white smoke pouring out of the exhaust. I quickly turned it off and took my other car. Before I was going to start it up again, I wanted to know what the possible causes were. I thought the piston rings might be bad because the motor didn't seem to be taken care of. Then I found a thread talking about white smoke coming from the exhaust can also be from a turbo with bad seals. That worried me.

I just received the correct restrictor in the mail and will install it. However, if the seals were what was causing the smoke, do you think it's too late? Do you think the turbo is done? I would be deeply disappointed if it is. It looks to be a VERY low mileage S15 turbo. :(

cotbu
03-22-2010, 10:20 PM
You can get lucky, it depends on whether it was 1. to much oil pressure or 2. too much oil volume. if, it was volume you're lucky. pressure could be a problem! Just time and pressure.
This would also determines a good core CHRA in Garrett's exchange program. You should either way swap that restrictor, it should be a 0.035" hole. I also have an s15 Spec R turbo laying around and It wont tear your pockets up!