PDA

View Full Version : Blown Head Gasket?

fufanu180
03-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Hey guys,

Over the weekend my car over heated and limping it back home the car was rolling whiteish smoke. Today I tried performing a compression test but the gauge wouldn't hold any pressure. Either way I don't think I need a compression test to tell me that I blew the head gasket but just to be sure does this mean a blown head gasket?

The radiator won't let me fill it with coolant, it smokes but when I shut off the car and fill the radiator and try to push the bubbles out, the bubbles are filled with white smoke. although the car idles fine. It's said that if you blow a head gasket that the oil becomes milky but I see no signs of this on the dip stick.

Are those the symptoms of a blown headgasket?

sr20det_custom
03-22-2010, 10:33 PM
your question is interesting. water is mixed into the engine oil?
as you know if the head gasket or cracked cylinder if any?
I be on pending friend.http://www.google.com/images/cleardot.gif

modulation
03-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Have you looked at the oil under the sun yet? I had a bad head-gasket and my oil wasn't milky, but there was a tint/shade of green to the oil from my coolant that I could only see under the sun.

But yeah I'd bet you blew the head-gasket, if not you're going to have to take the head off to fix whatever is causing you to blow gray smoke out your exhaust.

fufanu180
03-23-2010, 08:43 PM
your question is interesting. water is mixed into the engine oil?
as you know if the head gasket or cracked cylinder if any?
I be on pending friend.http://www.google.com/images/cleardot.gif

I don't think the block is cracked. Well i pray it isn't cracked.

Have you looked at the oil under the sun yet? I had a bad head-gasket and my oil wasn't milky, but there was a tint/shade of green to the oil from my coolant that I could only see under the sun.

But yeah I'd bet you blew the head-gasket, if not you're going to have to take the head off to fix whatever is causing you to blow gray smoke out your exhaust.

Yeah I know I'll have to take off the head either way so I'm guessing now my question is, while I'm in there is there anything that would be a good candidate to replacing? The motor was just recently rebuilt but I figured while I'm in there I mind as well take care of what needs to be taken care of.

What puzzles me is why it overheated. Is there any bleeder valve or anything that will help me get the air out of the coolant system? would that be a possibility?

I have not checked the oil too closely but I will definitly do that tomorrow and find out.

It's all just very frustrating.

AS240
03-24-2010, 12:19 AM
it usually goes like this:
white smoke = coolant
blueish = oil
black = fuel
overheating and smoking white are the two main symptoms of a blown head gasket.
that cylinder isnt holding pressure because all of the pressure is going into the cooling system. there is a bleeder valve on most motors. i would just let the motor go through a bunch of heat cycles and keep topping off the coolant until it stays full.
are you running an overflow tank? get one if you arent.
while youre in there you might as well go with some beefy head studs. just hope it didnt get hot enough to warp the head and/or block.

fufanu180
03-24-2010, 08:58 AM
it usually goes like this:
white smoke = coolant
blueish = oil
black = fuel
overheating and smoking white are the two main symptoms of a blown head gasket.
that cylinder isnt holding pressure because all of the pressure is going into the cooling system. there is a bleeder valve on most motors. i would just let the motor go through a bunch of heat cycles and keep topping off the coolant until it stays full.
are you running an overflow tank? get one if you arent.
while youre in there you might as well go with some beefy head studs. just hope it didnt get hot enough to warp the head and/or block.

Well now I can't really worry about overheating because the motor is in far more critical condition.

Yes my hopes are that it didn't get hot enough to warp the aluminum so I'm crossing my fingers.

Is there anything else like pilot lifters or anything else?

I appreciate the information. I've only had my 240 for about 3 months so I'm still learning about the car and it's motor.

mishimoto
03-24-2010, 10:56 AM
Definitely sounds like a blown headgasket.