PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Damper... what's it do?

muskrat
06-23-2003, 07:16 AM
Last week when I put my new clutch in my '91 240sx I bypassed the stock hydraulic clutch damper by bending my hard line around.

Now I'm wondering what this damper was for. I bypassed it because I suspected it to be causing problems in my clutch system and when I took it off I emptied it and the fluid in the damper was dark and had all kinda junk in it.

So now my car drive's just fine without it, the only difference is when fast shifting at higher RPMs you can hear the fluid (I assume) when you push in the clutch (whoosh!). Was the damper just to keep it quiet?

Without the damper is it harder on the master cylinder?

TIA.

old_s13
06-23-2003, 08:09 AM
It absorbs vibration and feedback from your clutch, giving you a softer more comfortable pedal. I never installed mine in my car.

- Mike

muskrat
06-23-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by old_s13
I never installed mine in my car.

Never installed it? Did you build your car fromt eh ground up? This thing is stock on the 240, bolted to the frame rail.

S14Speed997
06-23-2003, 11:05 AM
It DOES reduce vibration to your clutch pedal. I removed mine when installing new master and slave cylinders...Not too much of a difference in pedal reaction, or vibration...It did make it super simple to bleed the clutchline with dampner removed when I had to replace fluid...It is real easy to get air bubbles stuck in dampner..

muskrat
06-23-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by S14Speed997
It did make it super simple to bleed the clutchline with dampner removed when I had to replace fluid...It is real easy to get air bubbles stuck in dampner..

Oh yeah, this is another reason I bypassed it, bleeding was a breeze.

S14Speed997
06-23-2003, 11:37 AM
Can I ask YOU a question....................obviously your clutch was shot, because you had to replace it....

I replaced the master and slave because I was having trouble gettin into 1st and reverse..I am still having problems getting into 1st and reverse, so I'm thinking it might be clutch.....did you have any problems with this?

muskrat
06-23-2003, 11:44 AM
I am still having problems getting into 1st and reverse, so I'm thinking it might be clutch.....did you have any problems with this?

This does not sound like a problem related to the clutch, it sounds like your tranny is going bad... time for a rebuild.

When you replaced your clutch did you replace your throw out bearing?

Does your car easily go into 1st and reverse without the engine running?

S14Speed997
06-23-2003, 11:50 AM
I had my tranny fluid replaced by Nissan a few months ago, so I am wondering if there is enough fluid in there...(i just linked this to the problem, maybe it is the reason)...

I had a centerforce clutch installed about 1 year 1/2 ago..and I believe it came with everything including throw-out...not 100% sure..

yea, no problem going into 1st and reverse with car off, I am tempted to just start my car in reverse, or 1st, so I don't have to deal with it...

let me clarify, it doesn't grind into 1st, I have to push it pretty good...I do get grinding when going to reverse.....
now both of these occur wehn the car has been sitting for a little while (approx.4 hours) - Eric

AKADriver
06-23-2003, 12:03 PM
Try this: double clutch into first and reverse. Meaning, when you come to a stop, put the car in neutral, release the clutch, then push the clutch back in to select first or reverse. This spins the trans input shaft a bit which helps the synchros do their job. Likely that's the problem - reverse has no synchro, and first's synchro is probably quite worn (it takes a beating). My car can be reluctant to select reverse when the transmission is cold, and it won't allow a rolling downshift to first under those conditions either.

S14Speed997
06-23-2003, 12:09 PM
Well this usually occurs when I am leaving my apt. for work in the morning, or going to lunch from work....

So when I start up car, I go to put in gear, and if there is any struggle, I pump clutch, go from 2nd to 1st...I've tried it all....I was hoping it was a problem I could fix, and not one I have to deal with...btw..I have 84K on the odo.

muskrat
06-23-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by AKADriver
reverse has no synchro, and first's synchro is probably quite worn (it takes a beating).

From what I've learned 1st gear has no synchros either since you are not suppose to shift into 1st gear while moving.

S14Speed997
06-23-2003, 12:21 PM
I never go into 1st when moving....I have found however that: If im coming to a stop sign/light, I push clutch in, and when im almost at a complete stop, I softly push shifter towards first, and at around 0.5 mph, it slips right in..no grind, no hassle...
The only problem is when im at a total stand still !!
Thanks guys for helping...
so you think its the tranny Muskrat?

muskrat
06-23-2003, 12:55 PM
so you think its the tranny Muskrat?

That would be my guess, if the clutch was going out you would be slipping or not being able to shift good into any gear, it wouldn't just affect 1st and reverse, unless you only shift into 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th, at the exact RPM when you wouldn't even have to use the clutch.

S14Speed997
06-23-2003, 01:07 PM
I have had acceleration problems lately, like if I give it gas and try to get on the throttle, sometimes it revs and it seems like i'm towing a wave-runner...

muskrat
06-23-2003, 01:14 PM
I have had acceleration problems lately, like if I give it gas and try to get on the throttle, sometimes it revs and it seems like i'm towing a wave-runner...

Interesting analogy... sounds like your clutch is slipping, and as long as you are getting a clutch I wouldn't drop the transmission without having it checked out, rebuilt, or replaced.

drift freaq
06-23-2003, 01:18 PM
1st gear does indeed have synchros. its just a very low gear i.e. high numeric ratio so you don't shift down into it unless your going slow. I shift into 1st in extremely low speed corners . It gives more control of the car and cause less beating on your clutch than dogging the car in 2nd.
As far as your question about old_s13 leaving his out. His car was originally an automatic.

Dousan_PG
06-23-2003, 01:24 PM
hehe..i shift into first at the trackgoing near 20mph hahah
double clutching makes it easier of course
but i have noticed first gear acting funky because of it too..oh well..new engine soon :)

s0ldats
06-23-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by dousan36
hehe..i shift into first at the trackgoing near 20mph hahah
double clutching makes it easier of course
but i have noticed first gear acting funky because of it too..oh well..new engine soon :)

aaron, do you have to force it in? mine kinda slids in @ around 10mph.

Dousan_PG
06-23-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by s0ldats
aaron, do you have to force it in? mine kinda slids in @ around 10mph.

mm no. depends on the situation. with a good rev match, it takes virtually no effort at all.