PDA

View Full Version : Urgent: Caliper piston popped out???

Jim C
03-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Well, my s13 randomly lost a front pad this morning.
I bought new pads and replaced the left side. When moving to the right, I noticed the piston way out (obviously to make up for the loss of a pad).

It would wiggle slightly, but wasn't right out (I don't think)
I compressed it slightly, and it went in a bit, not wiggling anymore. However, it wont go in past the point I'm at, maybe half way?

Fluid cap is off, bleeder screw is loosened.

Ideas as to why it wont go in?
My buddy is on the way with a proper compressor...

DataXUnknown
03-19-2010, 11:39 AM
They are really hard to compress sometimes, try using a C-clamp. That is how I compressed all of mine.

ryguy
03-19-2010, 11:51 AM
I use a C-clamp too. One of those BIG motherfuckers.

dsastr_clan
03-19-2010, 11:52 AM
yup they get tough if u are also unable to compress with the C clamp your best shot would be to rent a compress piston caliper tool from autozone, after that is piece of cake

Jim C
03-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Haha like I said, my buddy is on the way with one.

I'm wondering if I should be worried that the piston might have popped out?

Pacman
03-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Try to carefully remove the rubber dust boot. Check to see if brake fluid is leaking past the seal. If it is, rebuild or replace. If not, roll with it. The square cut seals on calipers are pretty durable.

renegade_ewok
03-19-2010, 01:01 PM
I took a set of vice grips to push my piston back in. Just slowly work the sides and it should slide right in. And yes, force is required.

lflkajfj12123
03-19-2010, 01:04 PM
I took a set of vice grips to push my piston back in. Just slowly work the sides and it should slide right in. And yes, force is required.

this has happened to me on multiple occasions because i suck at working on cars

but the method above has always worked for me