PDA

View Full Version : where to start?

!AG23!
03-18-2010, 10:38 PM
first off, im a complete noob to zilvia.

i am also a noob when it comes to under the hood of a car...my question is, where do i start? im open, willing and eager to learn the ins and outs of 240s and any car in general. id like to be able to tune my fix tune and upgrade my car on my own...id even wish to be to perform a swap one day...i just have no idea where to start...any help or anything to read, anything is appreciated.

thanks. :naw:

mxexux
03-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Start by figuring out exactly what you want to do. Say if you want to change your oil, you could ask some one to help or show you. Start reading books. You should ask people here if there is something more specific AND you can't find info from searching. I would start with basics like change your own oil, spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor etc. You need to find a friend or family member that will personally help you.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

MavericStephenc
03-18-2010, 11:13 PM
Start with reading the build threads on here. There are so many resources available if you search. See what other people are doing and see what you like. once you do that build your shit and be happy. download the FSM for your car fix it when it breaks. READ. lots and lots of reading will do good especially if you dont have a background in mechanics. HAVE FUN

!AG23!
03-19-2010, 03:53 PM
thanks alot guys

enkei2k
03-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Look up the Chilton's book. That along with the FSM.

fckillerbee
03-19-2010, 04:55 PM
and do everyone a favor that is on zilvia....if you have a question, search for it, google it, youtube it, if you can't find it, there is a small questions thread in CHAT. Start there with your questions, if no one answers, and you can't find anything in your search, then ask, but prepare to be punished by the wrath of zilvia, cause anything that has been built, has been done here, you just have to be creative with trying to find it.

GOOD LUCK, and WELCOME TO ZILVIA (we are assholes..don't take it personal)

wiggafly808
03-19-2010, 05:03 PM
+1 on reading

What i used to do is i would google 4 or 5 different walkthroughs on how to do things, read through all of them, and keep the pages accessible while i was doing the job

CrimsonRockett
03-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Start with the basics.

Changing your own oil, filter, air filter, spark plugs/wires, dizzy cap/rotor, brake pads/rotors, etc. Extremely basic maintenance 75% of S-chassis need because most previous owners never bothered doing something as simple as that.

After you're comfortable with that, move onto suspension. Again, you're dealing with S-chassis that are 12-22+ years old now. Most bushings are shot or worn to shit and NEED replacing.

Like others have said, read up on as much as you possibly can.

Figure out what you want to do with your car and go from there. Anything is possible as long as you set your mind to it.

isixphill
03-19-2010, 05:24 PM
if you dont feel like reading or bugging your friends look up the stuff on youtube they have every thing from how to do oil changes to swapping struts on there..

ManoNegra
03-19-2010, 09:19 PM
FSM
read
make friends
offer to help with their cars
buy them beer

!AG23!
03-19-2010, 09:27 PM
big thanks to everyone! like most have said ill start with basic maintence on my first 240.

Slammed Assassin
03-20-2010, 01:26 AM
This is how i learned..

Bought a 240 several years ago. Then things started to go out like, alternator, starter. I learned things just by doing it. I had to do everything myself because i couldn't afford to go to the mechanic. Replacing things is pretty much common sense if you can take something off, you can put it back on. Eventually i blew my headgasket and i got a free sohc ka from a friend. but i had to swap it in by myself. And thats when i learned about transmissions, clutches, all the locations of plugs/wires, ect. And now here i am today reminiscing when i use to be 16..