PDA

View Full Version : Silencers

Dream240
06-15-2003, 04:53 PM
Hey guys, been a while. I've got a question. I recently installed my silencers for ym N1-dual, unfortunately one of them didn't fit right so I had to use a mallet to smack it in to place. Either it was too big or the exhaust pipe was too small. The problem is now the damn thing won't come out! Has anyone ever experienced this? And if so how do get it out without damaging the pipe or the silencer? Any ideas would be helpful. It's pretty tightly wedged in there, I can't even get lub sprayed into the seam between the pipe and the silencer.

ALTRNTV
06-15-2003, 09:11 PM
you shouldn't have forced it in like that in the first place, you should have called the place where you got your N1 from, try using pliers to pull it out, if that doesn't work, the only way is probably to take off your exhaust and use something to push it out from behind

MorganS13
06-15-2003, 10:32 PM
try getting something thats small enough to fit through the opening but hooked at the end so you can pull the silencer out.. i used to use a hex wrench on mine. they were never really that tight though, always came out and went in pretty easily so i dunno what else to tell u.

unfortunately mine fell out on the freeway because the nuts came loose :cry: talk about unlucky. they were the nice JDM versions too :mad:

Yoshi
06-16-2003, 12:43 AM
i had a similar problem with mind, I made my own tool. A sort of grappling hook shape. Took 3 thick wire hangers, unbent them, make the hook end a sharp arrow pointed shape, duct taped them in a triangular pattern like a grappling hook shape, pushed it in till the grabber arms popped open on the other side of hte silencer and pulled it out.

ok, so that was a horrid description, but hopefully you get the idea ;)

Dream240
06-16-2003, 08:36 AM
Okay, thanks for the tips, I'll try it out and see what happens. I actually had the same idea but I was thinking about going to a welding shop and having them make a tool out of a strong metal. But I'll try your way first Yoshi. Thanks.

the head
06-16-2003, 08:49 AM
heat the tip it will then expand and it should be easier to remove

Dream240
06-16-2003, 12:05 PM
Heating was the first thing I thought of. But there's a problem with that. By heating the tip with the silencer in there, it will heat up the silencer also and both will expand leaving the damn thing still wedged in there with no room for maneuvering. I have an idea with a wedge type screwdriver, pair of pliers, and alot of Silicon lube. I let you know if it works. Thanks again for the input.