PDA

View Full Version : LSD performance questions

Jeff240sx
08-06-2001, 09:13 PM
I can see the benefits of having both wheels powering, but as far as corners go, if it is harder for the outer wheel to spin slower, isn't that somehow adversly affecting performance?
Also, what gains in 1/4 mile time do people typically see.  I have heard of .8 to 1 second.  
-Jeff

PSI240SX
08-06-2001, 09:21 PM
Not sure about the cornering thing except if you go around a right hander taking weight off the power wheel in an open differential car you are going to get a ton of wheelspin, slowing you down. I got .8 faster at the track the very next week with an LSD in my car

Jeff240sx
08-06-2001, 09:24 PM
.8 seconds?!!?  Was that a stock car, or not.  What were your times between the two runs?
Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff240sx
08-07-2001, 11:26 AM
UP!!! I need PSI to answer my question and anyone else with a LSD on their car.  Even though you can add power faster after a corner, does a LSD make cornering worse than before?
Someone? Anyone?
-Jeff

PSI240SX
08-07-2001, 12:29 PM
My run without the LSD was 14.2 after the LSD was 13.4, no the car is not stock it was turbocharged with factory internals and 10 psi. 2.3 60' time to a 1.99 they say that for every tenth you knock off of your 60' time is good for 2 tenths at the end of the track, not scientific of course but pretty close. Autocrossing the car was so much better after the LSD because I had all my power distributed between 2 wheels not 1, less wheelspin=greater acceleration.

spin
08-07-2001, 02:41 PM
i never drag race my car so i can't answer the 1/4 mile question.  what i use my car for is auto-x and just driving in the mountains & canyons.  the corners are much more fun with an LSD.  i have a KAAZ lsd, so i can only speak for that one.  it adds more over-steer to the car, so you have to be careful with it.  once you get used to it... nothing but more fun.  cornering is much more direct and sharp.  i agree that it does wonders at auto-x also.  my '95 S14 has a stock motor in it.

-thach