PDA

View Full Version : Weird thing happened for the first time today...

legendarysnail
06-15-2003, 12:46 AM
As I'm leaving one of my friend's house, I pull up to the main raod and stop...then suddenly the engine dies. Don't know what the f... happened, I proceed as usual. At the next stop light, right as I stopm the engine dies again. At the next light, right as I stop, the engine flirts with 0 RPM for a few seconds, but doesn't die this time (idle's low at 500RPM). Same thing for the next couple lights.

At the next next light, I try turning the car off and back on (just for the helluvit, i didn't have a clue what was happening). So I go on, and at the next red light the engine flirts with a couple hundred RPM, then idles at 600 RPM. So I try it again and it raises it back up a little. By the fourth or fifth try, it's back to normal.

Anyone know what the hello could've happened? I vewwy konf00zd.

Bill Roberts
06-15-2003, 01:28 AM
Drain your tank, put premium in and replace the fuel filter.

You got some trash in your fuel system is my best guess....AND it is only a guess you can get...due to the fact, I am not there...but trying to think through it.

It will not hurt.

Also, replace the air cleaner with a 45 dollar K&N...if you have not modded your intake yet.

eliterit
06-15-2003, 02:15 AM
i know when this happens with fwd sr20's we usually just reground our mass air flow sensor. worked for me, but i could be wrong since its a different engine.

96SEChick
06-15-2003, 07:42 AM
I agree with Bill--sounds like it could be a fuel problem. It could be quite a few things, though. Your fuel pump may be starting to crap out on you, could be bad gas, fuel filter may be clogged, etc.

hookedup240
06-15-2003, 08:18 AM
I am having the same problem the last couple of days, sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't, ****es me off, I also put a bottle of the chevron stuff in with a full tank the other day, so far it hasn't made a difference.

legendarysnail
06-15-2003, 01:00 PM
It's a new fuel filter and the upmp was checked just two months ago...

I'm running on 93 octane gas...

Argh this is frustrating!

FastBack 240
06-15-2003, 11:05 PM
Yea my 92 does the same thing when i stop. Sometimes it flirts with like 400rpm and then will rise to 700rpm. It will keep on doing this when I am at a stop. Only happens when the motor warms up. At a cold crank its normal. Someone told me it may be a vacuum leak but hav't checked it out yet.

s13Steve
06-15-2003, 11:20 PM
It can be your fuel filter because mine did the same thing.
Or if you have messed with your o2 sensor it can cause it to idle wierd..
Do you have any mods on the car?

FastBack 240
06-15-2003, 11:22 PM
aem intake but my o2 does need replacing but is still functional. If it was bad and causing bad idle wouldnt it throw a code?

s13Steve
06-15-2003, 11:27 PM
Where is the o2 sensor ?
did you throw in the filter?
Check fuses

s13Steve
06-15-2003, 11:29 PM
Any bad o2 sensor is going to throw the car off a little
Replace that if it is bad i am not there so i cant say its bad...

FastBack 240
06-15-2003, 11:30 PM
side of the exhaust manifold. Its a bitch to get out unless you have the right O2 tool.

legendarysnail
06-15-2003, 11:44 PM
If it were my oxygen sensor, wouldn't it still be acting this way (it's normal now)?

s13Steve
06-15-2003, 11:51 PM
hmm how long has it been working like this?
hows when you drive, anything werid?
I am starting to believe more on the fuel, since it took a little for mine to start actting right when mine did it (mine never shutdown off thought)

Dream240
06-16-2003, 01:43 PM
I think you may be looking in the wrong place. As mentioned (once) before, check for vaccumm leaks in your intake pipes, intake mainfold and gaskets. VERY strong possiblity, since you said you already checked fuel pump and filter. I had this problem when I first got my 96' and from the first night, it idled up-down, up-down then sputter and die sometimes. If you need to, take it to a shop and have them check for vaccumm leaks.
Another thing, it won't throw a code right away, probably take about 1000 to 1250 miles to pop on a check engine light if the problem is not corrected.
From what I hear this problem will not just spring on you, it's probably had a slight idle irregularity before then it got really bad one day as the leak got bigger. That's just what I heard about these kinds of things.
Check it out, might find your problem.
Good luck.

West
06-16-2003, 01:53 PM
Id look at your MAF Connection or AIV. Try search or look in the Archive and FAQ section.

legendarysnail
06-16-2003, 05:32 PM
The thing that baffles me is that it only did it that one time, and has been running fine ever since :confused: