PDA

View Full Version : My intended project

twinsleeper
06-14-2003, 11:33 PM
bascially im gonna buy my friend KA24de from him after he does sr swap
he selling wiring and tranny and all stuff for 200 to me
ive seen s13 bodies (no engine ) go for 500 to 700
im thinking of rebuilding block (for boost) and then turbo charge it
my friend thinks i would roughly spend 1500-2000 on stronger rods,cam, ect........ and a turbo kit for ka runs from 1500-2000 also
so in turn i would spend around 5000 on bout 250-320 hp car with tq (my dad is also machnic so if anything major happens he is there to help)
what do you think???

:coolugh:

FastBack 240
06-14-2003, 11:47 PM
I say you spend 5000 and tweek out an SR. Just my opinion. 5000 will do wonders for the SR. Pushing about the same horses on a newer engine.

twinsleeper
06-15-2003, 12:08 AM
thats the thing i would spend same amount just to get an SR when i could have a built KA

Bill Roberts
06-15-2003, 12:10 AM
I am not going to disagree with fastback240. The SR can rev up higher and is a fresher motor with the right front clip.

Now, I do have this viewpoint:

How many miles are on that KA?

I do not see you having to spend that much on the KA to get to 275HP really. And I feel it can be done without a turbo as well. First of all, the compression per cylinder needs to be at least 170 for the engine to be a good turbo candidate. If so, look at these possabilities before considering all the work for a turbo.

I would love a turbo...but I am running 14.8 with a KA SOHC so you can do better with the right mods.

Ask your old Man...he is probably Younger than me ...but his wisdom should be taken seriously.

The head.

The head is the key to horsepower. The engine is essentially nothing but a pump. More in, more out. Easy. If you upgrade the injectors, have a pro, port and polish the intake and heads and match the tubes perfectly, and the port the exaust side and add a free flow type of exaust system, then look at making the air inlet system larger and colder, you will have some serious torque and horsepower and basically, the next step would be making sure you can keep a clutch in it...due to all the power. You need to ask how the compression is on the old motor....hell, he is giving it to you at that price. I pay that much for a good night out sometimes.

Valve bowl porting gets into extream gains :)

Next, look at really really good ignition parts. Makes a difference. Upgrade the stock fuel pump...because you will need that. Lose the clutch fan and install and extra electric fan with a switch.

Well, SR is something to be admired...but KA breathing right, can develope on it's own with the larger displacement...plenty of power.

Disclaimer:

To get that kind of HP, the head mechanic/expert, must be talanted. IF not, it will not happen.

I feel a non turbo KA DOHC can be done at 260 to 300HP with the right work.

FastBack 240
06-15-2003, 12:11 AM
so what was the point of the thread. I gave my opinion. Well said Bill.

Bill Roberts
06-15-2003, 12:14 AM
The point is, information.

FastBack 240
06-15-2003, 12:15 AM
no i was talking to chief. you explained it nicely.

Bill Roberts
06-15-2003, 12:18 AM
:)

Fastback, you may have read about me ruining my clutch last night. Man, with the right work, the SOHC is a friggin beast. It has so much power that because of a low tire, the clutch was taken out...otherwise, the tire would have broken loose and no problem.

Our cars are seriously balanced. I could not believe how "built" the driveshaft is when I took it out. It is a piece of art. It is insane for a driveshaft..MASSIVE

twinsleeper
06-15-2003, 12:41 AM
my dad has been working on cars since he was 15 and he is bout 52 now

anyways i roughtly just want 250
and with that power in a 240 sx is alot
and i will still be able to run daily
the block has around 150 k
but since im rebuilding and putting in stronger rods, pistons, ect........ and and as i have said before my dad
i also have a few friends (one with sr ) and the one with sr has bro with fully built eclipes motor(cant remember code) and he knows people who could help me

FastBack 240
06-15-2003, 12:41 AM
They do have alot of potential if you want to drop alot of cash into the engine. Im not doubting the KA at all. I just think it will be cheaper in the long run to just go with the SR a true engine built for turbo. The N/A way will work, but it will take alot of time and money. Also turbo is the easiest and cheapest way next to NOS to get pony's out of your engine.

FastBack 240
06-15-2003, 12:42 AM
my dad has been working on cars since he was 15 and he is bout 52 now

so has my dad but he was 14 and he is now 45.

FastBack 240
06-15-2003, 12:44 AM
Im not doubting you project at all with money, time, and someone who knows how to do it you could have a nice motor. What im saying is, is it really worth spending 5 g's to get 250hp?

twinsleeper
06-15-2003, 12:46 AM
how many cars can u find readly wiht 250 hp and with same weight as 240sx for 5k???

i really think that is a steal

FastBack 240
06-15-2003, 12:54 AM
I guess you want me just to say that your project sounds sweet. Go for it. 250 in a 240 is quick. Ill be the first to admit it. What im trying to say is 5 g's I would plan on pushing more than that. Just my opinion but i guess it dosn't matter.

Bill Roberts
06-15-2003, 12:54 AM
Based on some reliable data, I am damn close to 230 shaft with the SOHC.

When I get it off the jackstands, I will do another dyno run...and I fully expect 200 at the rear wheels. Maybe 215. I did find out that With the bore I have and all the previous headwork and my compression check (195 min) and killing the clutch that I did (amongst other cars being laid to waste) that the 240's are very formidable with a few dirty tricks.

I also may be underestimating what it will do...as the dyno sheet I found is before I owned it...and it is much faster than when I got it...much much faster.

Not 52 yet, my bad....but only 8 years behind him. We started about the same time...14 or 15 for me.

Sorry for any thread confusion...been a hell of a day.

twinsleeper
06-15-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by FastBack 240
I guess you want me just to say that your project sounds sweet. Go for it. 250 in a 240 is quick. Ill be the first to admit it. What im trying to say is 5 g's I would plan on pushing more than that. Just my opinion but i guess it dosn't matter.

reason for my KA-T is casue my friend (who is selling me the engine ) is already doing a sr swap and i dont wanan do it
i just want simple 250-300 range
nothing too big since it will be daily driven (and my real love is z32tt:( )

i respect you opinon but i feel this project i present is good enough for me now (i always love cars but never had one i could actually work on for myself)
i know with SR i could be pushing more, but in the end for this car i dont really more

but i thank you for your input

and Bill sounds like your car is killer
hope u have some pics and dyno sheets i could look at