PDA

View Full Version : Changed the PS belt on my SR and now the car won't start...

fwuffy squirrel
02-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Only "I" could take something so easy as changing a belt and turn it into fully disabling my car.

I'll make this quick.

The car was off.
I was changing the belt like normal and I decided to be a noob and attempt to loosen a bolt I shouldn't have.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/6681/31426060030large.jpg

Before changing the belt colored green,
I tried to loosen the bolt colored red.
And the wheel colored pink moved a decent amount.

Knowing that I did something wrong, I moved it back a little bit but I'm sure not in the exact same spot as before. After finishing putting the new belt on, POOF my car won't start, or even attempt to crank. Just a click.

Did I mess up the timing?

If so can I just take off my valve cover and spin the same bolt to attempt to line up the sprockets to 10 and 12?

Or am I just a noob and my car is possessed?

koukimonster139
02-16-2010, 07:02 PM
You loosened the nut that holds on the power steering pump pulley. But while trying to loosen that, doing so you also prob. spun the crankshaft with no ignition.

TIMING

240_fun
02-16-2010, 07:33 PM
spinning the crank without ign wont affect the timing. That is done by turning the dizzy or in this case the CAS...

koukimonster139
02-16-2010, 07:36 PM
whats a dizzy

fwuffy squirrel
02-16-2010, 07:39 PM

fwuffy squirrel
02-16-2010, 07:40 PM
spinning the crank without ign wont affect the timing. That is done my turning the dizzy or in this case the CAS...

I hoped it wouldn't affect it, but the car isn't starting or cranking at all and I've changed nothing besides that belt.
I'm pretty sure it's the timing, I'm just too inexperianced to know what to do now =/

koukimonster139
02-16-2010, 07:41 PM
what else could it be? Its a power steering pump and the only other thing that it could have affected was the crankshaft position.

Nduggs
02-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Dude it sounds like something crazy simple. Check the battery connection first. Spinning the crank pulley would affect timing LOL.

240_fun
02-16-2010, 07:47 PM
it wouldnt affect the timing because the timing is read off the Cam angle sensor, if you spun the crank, the cam would turn, if the cam turned, you turned the Cam angle sensor, the cam sensor is a halifax switch and will read the next time the engine is spun

LayNLow
02-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Wow, there is a large amount of fail in this thread. Doing anything to a powersteering belt wouldnt affect the engines ability to start.
Dude, check around where you were working for any loose connectors. Simple as that, you probably unplugged the cam sensor plug.

240_fun
02-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Not to mention the fact that even if it were timing, it wouldnt prevent the car from turning over... If the timing was off it wouldnt start but it would still turn over

koukimonster139
02-16-2010, 07:58 PM
hmm dunno then batt cables lol

LayNLow
02-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Whats so hard about this? Seriously? Check the plugs around the area where you worked. Problem solved.

vqboodah
02-16-2010, 08:05 PM
must of overtighten the belt. try turning the belt, if there is absolute zero slack, you over tightened.

fwuffy squirrel
02-16-2010, 08:05 PM
I'm still a big noob when it comes to cars. 3 years of doing everything myself for the first time and I've learned a lot but still running into things I have no idea about. Btw Rule 34 on SR20 anybody?

Nduggs
02-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Wow, there is a large amount of fail in this thread. Doing anything to a powersteering belt wouldnt affect the engines ability to start.
Dude, check around where you were working for any loose connectors. Simple as that, you probably unplugged the cam sensor plug.

LOL Speaking of fail, an unplugged CAS wouldn't cause the car not to crank at all. Please think things through before posting.

koukimonster139
02-16-2010, 08:10 PM
true, but why would anyone, including op, unplug anything to change a belt tho

zaquanh
02-16-2010, 08:11 PM
this thread sucks , check ur electronics

you didnt do anything but turn the crank

if you messed up timing it would still crank

LayNLow
02-16-2010, 08:15 PM
LOL Speaking of fail, an unplugged CAS wouldn't cause the car not to crank at all. Please think things through before posting.

Didnt read that far down to notice he said it just clicked.

fwuffy squirrel
02-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Sorry to bother everybody with this stupid problem but thanks for the help. I checked everything and it still didn't start, but after pushing the clutch down 20 times it did and ran fine. Something is wrong with my car where for some reason the car doesn't read that the clutch is down and will just click but not crank so I just have to get lucky and hit that 1/20.
It used to do that a while back but hasn't for about 8 months. Idk why I have these ghost problems =/

dubtastic
02-16-2010, 10:41 PM
there is safety switch behind the clutch pedal that closes the starting circuit when the clutch pedal is fully depressed. the switch is not closing when you're pressing on the clutch pedal and therefore the starting ciruit remains open. replace the switch, or just bypass it. the only thing that would of really caused your not to CRANK based on what you said is if you overtightened the belt tension.

LayNLow
02-16-2010, 11:45 PM
Well if thats the case, your starter may be going out. Mine did the same thing for a while until it just didnt turn over at all.