PDA

View Full Version : Solid endlink suspension pieces...long term widening of bolt holes?

jspaeth
02-08-2010, 10:09 AM
I have been running essentially solid-link everything for the past 3-4 years, except for lower arms and the bushings pressed into the knuckles.

I wanted to see (from the more experienced people who have built/driven/taken apart many different 240s) if in your experience, over time, does daily driving a car like this cause the "holes" where you put the bolts throught to "widen", creating play in the suspension.

I could imagine/am worried that over time, for example, the holes in the subframe where the toe/camber arms in the rear bolt to could get "widened" or open up a bit from all of the bumps when daily driving.

Does anyone hear do any welding of anything to get around this? (i.e. welding a nut or washer in the right place to re-create a proper-sized hole for the bolt?)

Just wondering and interested.

projectRDM
02-08-2010, 03:37 PM
I tore down nearly a hundred cars when I was parting out 240s years ago. I've never seen anything like that from an OE standpoint, and all the OE spots are usually reinforced somewhat. The LCA to tension rod is the only place where the steel is thin enough to easily stress, and I have seen that using aftermarket urethane bushings. The spindle, upright, crossmember, and subframe are all pretty stout.

slider2828
02-08-2010, 04:20 PM
I've never seen anything like that.... I think it will only widen if there was play to begin with on the subframe.... Overall I don't think there is that much movement in those arms in general.... IMHO.

jspaeth
02-08-2010, 06:29 PM
I tore down nearly a hundred cars when I was parting out 240s years ago. I've never seen anything like that from an OE standpoint, and all the OE spots are usually reinforced somewhat. The LCA to tension rod is the only place where the steel is thin enough to easily stress, and I have seen that using aftermarket urethane bushings. The spindle, upright, crossmember, and subframe are all pretty stout.

You were one of the people I was waiting to hear from on this, thanks for the answer.

LCA to tension rod? I thought one end of tension rod was on the subframe or chassis and the other end on the spindle? My memory could be bad of course.

I've never seen anything like that.... I think it will only widen if there was play to begin with on the subframe.... Overall I don't think there is that much movement in those arms in general.... IMHO.

I figured as much, but I could also foresee years and years of hitting hard bumps potentially opening up/stressing the hole in the metal a bit, eventually making the arm be a bit "loose".

But now I can sleep well haha and no need to weld shit.

slider2828
02-09-2010, 01:14 AM
Truthfully bro... after years and years of solid spherical rod ends, I would be worried more of chassis and weld fatigue, rather than the holes... most chassis' I bet at LEAST have 150,000 miles.... 5 more years pushing 250-300k miles.... an 25 year old chassis.... I bet twisted metal our chassis will turn into hahahah!

Enna
02-09-2010, 01:40 AM
LCA to tension rod? I thought one end of tension rod was on the subframe or chassis and the other end on the spindle? My memory could be bad of course.

He meant the front lower control arm. The tension rod and the front LCA have been ripped apart before. I would reinforce that area personally.

jspaeth
02-09-2010, 07:28 AM
He meant the front lower control arm. The tension rod and the front LCA have been ripped apart before. I would reinforce that area personally.

I am retarded. I was watching TV while I was reading/responding and I read/meant to write TRACTION rod, in the rear.

Of course the front T/C rods connect to the LCA!!!!!!

Sorry :duh:

jspaeth
02-09-2010, 07:29 AM
Truthfully bro... after years and years of solid spherical rod ends, I would be worried more of chassis and weld fatigue, rather than the holes... most chassis' I bet at LEAST have 150,000 miles.... 5 more years pushing 250-300k miles.... an 25 year old chassis.... I bet twisted metal our chassis will turn into hahahah!

Oh yeah btw my car is about to turn 200,000 in like 300 miles, I am gonna throw it a party.

Chassis is mint tho, previous owner was my dad who drove it back and forth to work on a smooth highway and put 178,000 miles on it in 10 years or so.

Def
02-09-2010, 09:56 PM
If the bolts are properly torqued then you shouldn't ever see anything like the holes elongating.

If you have them improperly torqued I could see the constant impacts ovalling the holes and destroying the bolts in the process. That's also a good way to snap the bolt and have a bad day when it happens in a fast corner.

jspaeth
02-09-2010, 10:25 PM
If the bolts are properly torqued then you shouldn't ever see anything like the holes elongating.

If you have them improperly torqued I could see the constant impacts ovalling the holes and destroying the bolts in the process. That's also a good way to snap the bolt and have a bad day when it happens in a fast corner.

Yeah I believe everything is properly torqued. Haha oh god I can't imagine having a suspension linkage go out mid-turn