PDA

View Full Version : HKS 272 cams.. spring rate

wings_s13
02-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Hello, i have sr20det stage 2 HKS 272 cams, i am rebuilding the engine, and need to know the recomended spring rate for the cams. The cams came in the car and i do not have the cam card, nor much info on the cams them selfs. I tried to call HKS and look on there web site but found no help and no info on the web, so if any one knows or knows how to get it, please let me know, thanks for the help

wings_s13
02-02-2010, 08:38 PM
really no one???

steve shadows
02-02-2010, 10:55 PM
I dont remember the exact spring rate off hand but for step 2 you should upgrade to the Brian Crower spring and retainer kit. It's the best deal, best kit I have used for the money.

For actual cams always USE HKS, I havent had the same positive experiences with cars I have tuned power wise with any other cam. They are the best cams for the SR, period.

For Springs and retainers stay away from Greddy and HKS. Stick to Ferrera, Crower or Brian Crower. There are some other good ones but I cannot remember offhand.

For hydraulic valve lift setup the brian crowers are a perfect match

wings_s13
02-03-2010, 01:24 PM
thanks man for the help, yeah i have a brian crower set up already picked out. Its just hard bc well i cant find thos specs and i need them to properly put the engine back together. thanks again for the help.

and I will be bringing it to u, to get tuned as soon as its done, should be in a datsun 510.

jspaeth
02-03-2010, 03:22 PM
I dont remember the exact spring rate off hand but for step 2 you should upgrade to the Brian Crower spring and retainer kit. It's the best deal, best kit I have used for the money.

For actual cams always USE HKS, I havent had the same positive experiences with cars I have tuned power wise with any other cam. They are the best cams for the SR, period.

For Springs and retainers stay away from Greddy and HKS. Stick to Ferrera, Crower or Brian Crower. There are some other good ones but I cannot remember offhand.

For hydraulic valve lift setup the brian crowers are a perfect match

Now Steve, you know Cody would argue with you!

OP, I am also running HKS Step 2s with the BC retainer/spring kit that Steve referred to and have had no problems.

They are some pretty big cams btw (12/11.5 mm lift), but no issues whatsover after 4-5 months and revving to 8K RPM.

Also, I am running Greddy RAS....some people say they can save your head, others say they are a bandaid.

wings_s13
02-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Im using RAS's as well, what spring rate did u use?? Please lmk thanks for the help.

jspaeth
02-04-2010, 07:14 AM
Im using RAS's as well, what spring rate did u use?? Please lmk thanks for the help.

Spring rate? I am not sure what you mean....but I am using the BC0200 kit or whatever it is that FRSport sells....it's the single springs and titanium retainers.

I think there is a FreshAlloy or NICO thread where someone tested a bunch of different SR springs, and I believe the BC springs came in 2nd (latest onset of coil bind and stiffness) only to Ferrea, which are way more $$$$.

wings_s13
02-04-2010, 02:38 PM
cool thank u ill look that up and by spring rate i mean, st stiffness of the spring, i know that stock spring rate for an sr is between [email protected] for intake and exhaust, but that is with stock cam, and i know that it will be very different with the 272's. so now that its time to start putting the engine back together hks, will not poost it and cant find what the sping pressure is supose to be at, and need it to properly put it back together.. thanks for the help

jspaeth
02-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Oh yeah you can just look that up on the mfrs website.

krazyfil
02-12-2010, 08:57 PM
did u not read.... HLS WILL NOT GIVE THE SPECS.... they just simply reply "it should be on the cam card" but we dont have the cam card so thats why we are asking u guys for assistance

jspaeth
02-13-2010, 08:36 AM
did u not read.... HLS WILL NOT GIVE THE SPECS.... they just simply reply "it should be on the cam card" but we dont have the cam card so thats why we are asking u guys for assistance

Chill out clown. The lift on the step 2's is the same regardless of if they are 264 or 272.

I am running 264/264 HKS Step 2's and using the BC Spring/Retainer Kit, as recommended by Steve, above. He has built enough SRs that I would listen to what he says.

HKS recommend upgrading to their springs for these cams, but independent tests (I think on FA or NICO) showed that the BC springs are actually stiffer and have LESS coil bind than the HKS springs.

So that is why Steve said to run the BC springs.

I have been running that BC spring/retainer kit for like 6 months now with my HKS Step 2s and it just sounds so nice....when you get it up into the higher RPMs, the engine sounds so amazing.

krazyfil
02-13-2010, 10:42 AM
so are u telling me BC only makes one spring? hes asking for a spring rate for a reason smart one, if he wanted to be some ricer *snip* that just threw parts in an engine to make it faster like u then we wouldnt be asking for specs no would he...

or do u not know what a spring rate is? is that too much to comprehend for you? "CLOWN"

jspaeth
02-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Hahahaha

I mean out of all of the people on here, I am one of the most "technical people" in that I question almost EVERYTHING bc I am always worried about whether or not what I am doing is technically sound, but this is a bit much.

Most companies only make one or two types of springs. These are not 20000 RPM redline forumla 1 cars, they are 240sx.

Pick a spring that is sufficiently stiff and go with it. Like I said, Steve mentioned the BC spring kit further up in this thread, and he has built and tuned TONS of SRs, he's knows his shit.

It's not like you can have a "perfect" spring made with exactly the "perfect" spring rate and "perfect" coil bind limit for every single cam out there.

You buy a good set of spring and you are fine. These aren't crazy cams that you are talking about.

Settle down.

Also, I am ricer because I put in a BC spring/retainer kit with HKS Step 2 cams to "go fast"

And seriously, there is no reason to be a jerk when someone is literally trying to help you out. I guess you know more than Steve about SR heads, expert.

jspaeth
02-13-2010, 04:04 PM
To the OP:

How is not having the spring rate preventing you from "putting everything back together properly"?

I am not trying to argue, I am just interested in knowing what you would do special/different during the build/assembly process if you DID know the exact spring rate.

BTW:

BrianCrower.com - Brian Crower - BC - Nissan - S13 & S14/S15 - SR20DE(T) (http://www.briancrower.com/makes/nissan/sr20det.shtml)

Scroll down to where the spring/retainer kits are, and it tells you that for the single springs that come with this kit, the specs are:

Spring Pressure:
BC1200 Seat: 1.550" @ 90 lbs / Open: 1.025" @ 220 lbs / Coil Bind: 0.910" (no machine work required)

Like I said, many people agree/know that HKS springs are not as good as many others, like the Crowers, and yet the HKS springs themselves are STILL good enough (as designed by HKS to work with their own cams) to work with these cams.

codyace
02-14-2010, 05:04 PM

:yawn:

You know better than this by now.

JWT Springs here. Recently installed.

codyace
02-14-2010, 05:08 PM
so are u telling me BC only makes one spring? hes asking for a spring rate for a reason smart one, if he wanted to be some ricer snip that just threw parts in an engine to make it faster like u then we wouldnt be asking for specs no would he...

or do u not know what a spring rate is? is that too much to comprehend for you? "CLOWN"

who are you?