PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

Jamrock
06-08-2001, 02:29 PM
I am very pleased with my 240sx.. I drive the long way everywhere cuz i love driving it that much 5 speed and all but the brakes suck now... I haev to practically stand on them to stop.. .what gives?

drifterx
06-08-2001, 04:35 PM
the brakes must be going soon.........
becareful, u do not want to have it that low... just change the pads and disc, well if u think u need them, then u can adjust the brake to make it higher.... i do not know how to do it on a 240sx but on honda's u just go under the pedel and adjust the height

West
06-08-2001, 06:20 PM
I know u can adjust it some, but I dont know how, when my FSM comes I will let ya know.

If they need replacing you have some options.

1. Get Axxis Metal Matrix Pads - they will stop and feel alot better than the shitty stock rubber ones.

2. Get some Stainless Steel Brake Lines - this should help some with the sloppy feeling of the braking system.

3. Brembo Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors - Might help a little bit but only get these if your other rotors are fried.

4. Screw the peddy mods and slap on some 300ZX brakes on you bad boy. Talk to Don @ Pdm-racing.com.

cheater240
07-08-2001, 01:01 PM
About those 300ZX brakes...
I want this upgrade alot, but am not willing to pay the $1000 don wants.  So, I figure $130 for the rotors from Courtesy Nissan, $50 for some good pads (any suggestions?), and the calipers...  I bought some out of a junkyard and it seems I got the calipers meant for the 7/90 and up 300ZX with the 30mm rotors where I need the 26mm rotors.  Does this make sense?  

Has anyone SUCCESSFULLY pulled this off on their own?  Does anyone have part numbers?  Years of parts?  

I plan on using my current calipers as the cores and get the correct ones from Murray's ($70 for both)

rabbit23
07-08-2001, 05:58 PM
i think on 240sx.org they have the 300zx conversion layed out with pics and everything.

Thomas n Melissa
07-15-2001, 04:25 PM
Other than checking your brakes and/or fluid. Check the calipers they could be leaking.
8)

bison
07-17-2001, 12:45 PM
yup yup i concur. check ur pads.  but be forewarned, unless u upgrade, it might still not be what u expect.  240s are NOT known for their braking abilities.

drifterx
07-17-2001, 07:46 PM
my brakes are doing the same but i know i killed them... i was racing and i even smelled my brakes burn

07-17-2001, 10:25 PM
darn my brakes are excellent i dont know why ppl are having problems with their's alot of the time when i drive my dads cl-type-s im like #### this car is fast, then i have to brake and it ruins the whole sporty feel because the brakes are so soft

96SEChick
07-17-2001, 10:34 PM
My brakes work just fine.  I haven't had a bit of trouble yet (in the big 3 months I've owned my car!).

07-17-2001, 10:38 PM
i've had my car for about two years and i have had no problem with the brakes except for re-surfacing and pads, the usuall time intervals on all the changes too

ScottC
07-17-2001, 11:26 PM
I am interested in road racing a 240. What are the best brakes that anyone has stuck on one? I have heard about the 300Z upgrade, but I don't like that for a couple of reasons. First I am really uncomfortable with the idea of changing a 5 lug rotor to a 4 lug setup. It seems like this would leave the rotor really weak even if you closed the holes up. This would be a bad thing for road racing.

Secondly, I have heard that the stock brakes on the Z are pretty unimpressive, bordering on dangerous, anyway.

Has anyone ever done a Skyline upgrade? Or would it be better to go with Brembo or BAER?

07-17-2001, 11:27 PM
the Z brakes are 5 lug arent they?

ScottC
07-17-2001, 11:50 PM
Yeah, but they 240 are 4 lug. I was reading about how you have to drill your own holes into the Z rotor and then close up the original ones. This seems like it would damage the structural integrity of the rotor, which would be horrible in a genuine hard braking application.

It still doesn't change the fact that th Z brakes are crappy anyway from what I hear.
Have you noticed the US always gets screwed by NIssan when it comes to cool cars? I.E Silvia, Skyline, and the list goes on..