PDA

View Full Version : Welded block..?? :/

koukidrifter21
01-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Was just wondering...has anyone ever had there block welded after throwing a rod? What's the reliabilty factor and the usual cost to get that done? just was wanting to know b4 I bought a new block.

codyace
01-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Where exactly did you bust the block?

Block repair is usually pretty effective when performed by a legit shop...but for the cost of a shortblock anymore, it would be a toss up to see whats cheaper.

kingyogi
01-28-2010, 03:30 PM
I pulled an sr once to sell the motor out of a car I got and it had good amounts of welds over one side and the guy who bought it said probably was only welded because it threw a rod. he still paid average SR price for the motor though. I cant see it being too big of a deal.

I LUV MY S13
01-28-2010, 03:45 PM
i personally would not even risk it:2c:

koukidrifter21
01-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Where exactly did you bust the block?

Block repair is usually pretty effective when performed by a legit shop...but for the cost of a shortblock anymore, it would be a toss up to see whats cheaper.

I think its the second piston closest to the firewall..I'm not sure, hadn't diasasembled it yet, hole is on the left side of motor looking at the front of the car.

codyace
01-29-2010, 01:13 PM
i personally would not even risk it:2c:

Plenty of big boy cars have welded blocks/heads, no issues.

I think its the second piston closest to the firewall..I'm not sure, hadn't diasasembled it yet, hole is on the left side of motor looking at the front of the car.

It's really tough to say. Assuming you didn't damage the liners, and didn't make a mess out of it...it may be ok. But typically if there is a hole in the block itself it makes a big mess.

Again, it would be certainly 'smart' to begin looking for a shortblock, and then get a quote on the reapir.

Rusker
01-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Just buy another used block. I wouldn't risk it.

D.Adams
01-30-2010, 05:31 PM
we welded a ls1 block because it had a crack in it. if its cast dont do it.. if its aluminum see what its going to cost.. i kicked number 3 rod on my KA bought a block fo 50 bucks compare the prices

alesserfate
01-30-2010, 06:02 PM
usually when you have a hole in your block, your sleeves are chewed up an inch up and into your oil galleys for the piston squirters, I wouldnt even be thinking about it

fcdrifter20
01-30-2010, 06:16 PM
a used ka block shouldnt cost u any more than 50 bucks. much safer to just get another in my opinion

Dezi
02-05-2010, 12:46 PM
I am a welder and personally I think it's safer just to get a new block and swap out your parts. It just doesn't seem worth the risk to me. If you do decide to weld it instead of buying a new block take it to a professional shop with certified welders. Don't try to weld it yourself unless you are experienced and have a machine that can run hot enough for good penetration.

lazysk8er2
02-05-2010, 12:59 PM
yea and depending on what your plans are for the motor more damage could be done than you think.

also maybe i didnt see it but which engine are we talking about?