PDA

View Full Version : S14 KA to S13 Swap. What is a fair price?

Bushido
01-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Alright, i'm leaning towards having a shop do my engine swap, considering I don't really have a proper place to do the work myself.

My question is: What is a fair price to pay for the work.

Since my car is an S13 and i'm installing an OBD1 S14 KA into it, the manifolds and distributor must be switched from the S13 motor to the S14 motor.

I will be using the S13 transmission with the S14 motor and installing a new clutch in the process.

Seems like it should be a straightforward swap and I wish I had a garage to do it myself, but alas I think It might be smarter to just take it to a shop.

So, what do you think it should cost?

projectRDM
01-24-2010, 04:56 PM
In my shop days I charged $500 to do a basic swap such as that. It's a one day job if you don't goof off much so I wouldn't pay more than that. I'm sure some places (like the shithole shops we have around Atlanta) would only charge $250-300.

Bushido
01-24-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm going to call a few shops tomorrow... but the more i think about it, the more i'm leaning towards just doing it myself.

Russ, thanks for your imput, I was hoping you'd chime in.

I remember seeing your S14 at a meet in 2002:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/domeniccucunato/OrlandoPics018.jpg

Since you are probably the most knowledgeable guy out there when it comes to these cars, do you forsee me hitting any snags as far as the parts im using?

There seems to be a bit of an unclear answer as to if the S13 transmission bellhousing will bolt directly up to the S14 motor. I don't think there are any differences, can you comment on that?

projectRDM
01-24-2010, 07:15 PM
I'm going to call a few shops tomorrow... but the more i think about it, the more i'm leaning towards just doing it myself.

Since you are probably the most knowledgeable guy out there when it comes to these cars, do you forsee me hitting any snags as far as the parts im using?

There seems to be a bit of an unclear answer as to if the S13 transmission bellhousing will bolt directly up to the S14 motor. I don't think there are any differences, can you comment on that?

Wow, old pic. I miss that car sometimes.

It's easy. The exhaust manifold can be used if you have the matching downpipe from either engine, or you can buy any KA DOHC header for cheap, block the EGR and/or AIV ports and get some free power.

Intake manifold is also easy to swap and you can trash the steel lower support braces while it's out of the car to make oil filter and other lower part access easier. You can do the EGR port block off and coolant line cleanup/bypass while it's off if you're shooting for cleaner look. Lots of info on here about that. If you don't want to fool with swapping the entire manifold just swap the throttle body (or just the TPS), the CTS, the coolant gauge sender, the FICD valve, and cap the excess vacuum lines. Everything else is the same electrical wise.

Distributor is also a direct swap.

Also tons of transmissions threads, I've typed it a million times, transmissions are identical. You won't have to worry about needing a CPS since it's an S13 chassis.

jdm213
02-05-2010, 12:10 AM

I did the same swap you did, and tranny are both the same?? my question is lets say i want to put header on my 91 do I buy the ones for the year of the car or for the s14 ka??? I dont want to order something that isnt going to be non compattible to the engine?

projectRDM
02-05-2010, 09:02 AM
I did the same swap you did, and tranny are both the same?? my question is lets say i want to put header on my 91 do I buy the ones for the year of the car or for the s14 ka??? I dont want to order something that isnt going to be non compattible to the engine?

We've discussed these same things for years. There's no reason to bump a thread asking remedial questions.

Z U L8R
02-05-2010, 09:40 AM
$500-$700 in labor, $100 fluids, $100 in miscelaneous parts (gaskets, thermostat, plugs, water pump, belts etc)

i'd budget ~$800-900

prodigyJJ
02-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Not to take potential money from any shops, but do it yourself. Seriously this is probably the easiest install you will ever have to do. Last may I replaced my severely overheated obd1 s14 ka to a nice, used ob2 ka in my driveway. It's a super-simple process, and I cut no corners when I did mine. The only time I had anyone else help me was when I was pulling the motor and dropping the motor back in. Save yourself the money for other things.