PDA

View Full Version : help california smog

singlecamslam
01-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Yes there is plenty of threads out there and i read them all. NOTHING helped. I have high NOX problem. I got 2400 when the max is 700, gross poluter status. But at the 25MPH roll in passed nox.

So this is an s13, vacums in the back were all checked, the EGR soleid was bad and was changed, EGR works, engine dies when i lift it, gets vacum. Can someone help?

Also, how does the swirl valve have to work? at idle its closed, when i give it a bit of gas, it lifts. PLEASE HELP, need to smog this week.
Also, i got 2 poits over the max in HC, i'm hoping fixing the NO problem will fix that too?

Jonnie Fraz
01-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Check your compression. I had this prob recently...changed tons of shit. Turned out I had low comp in number one...time for an upgrade.

singlecamslam
01-19-2010, 04:38 PM
I hope to god its not bad comp. But i will do that tonight. Engine runs real healthy and actually quite fast. But yea.

spooled240
01-19-2010, 05:08 PM
I believe the engine will produce higher HC's if it's too rich and higher NOX if it is too lean.

I would check the injectors.

singlecamslam
01-19-2010, 05:49 PM
I have a strange suspicion thats its the EGR system, theres lots of componants that make it up. But i just barely failed HC and failed pretty hard on NOX. THose 2 valves back there i tested them and they were both bad. You're supposed to put power to them and blow through and the air passage is supposed to change, well they werent doing shit.

I have one retest and i just want to check everything before i go back. I'm going to change oil and do a compression test and report back, but in the mean time let the ideas roll in.

stinky_180
01-19-2010, 05:56 PM
timing set properly?

singlecamslam
01-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Yes sir, 20 BTDC, just to clarify the test i did was before i changed the valves back there, so i have one more test left.
The SCV valve that controls the swirl valve was leaking, but when i put a good valve on it the swirl control stopped working. When i blip the throttle the swirl valve control arm would lift, but when i put a good valve on it it did do nothing and didnt get vacum. So i'm hoping i can pass, my exhaust smells like cheese or something, doesnt smell right back there, the cat is good.

Sthrteen
01-19-2010, 07:43 PM
I had the same issue about 2 years ago, when I smoged the car, my nox were high but only like 100 pts over, It ended up being my solenoid.

goes from the intake Mani. to the solenoid then from there it went to the EGR and to the charcoal Canister.

make sure you have zero crack in those lines, warm up your car properly, take it for a drive then go home, pop the hood and rev the motor with the throttle body, at the same time check to make sure the EGR valve opens up. another thing maybe, the pipe that goes from the headers to the EGR could be clogged up.

hope that helps

singlecamslam
01-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Got an update, i didnt check compression and decided to use my retest. I JUST barely failed. My NOx went down to 900, everything else passed. And for some reason my timing is at 13, no idea why last time i checked it was at 20.
13 should help with nox right? I'm going to put a new cat on and hope for the best.

importdude
01-20-2010, 02:12 PM
timing for s13 iirc was 15?

if you failed by that little i can make it pass pm me

godrifttoday
01-20-2010, 02:12 PM
I know it might not be a good idea to most, by why don't u just pay extra to get it pass?

PhantomCoupe
01-20-2010, 02:17 PM
When all else fails, put on a new cat lol.

Check out the CAP program, If you qualify, they can give you up to 500 to repair your non pasing smog vehicle

singlecamslam
01-20-2010, 04:04 PM
The cap program takes too long to apply for, i need this done quick. I'm putting a need cat because the smog dude told me that it should definately pass with a new cat. Plus i need to fix my timing which would probably raise my NOx

Rabboni
01-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Too high compression will cause an increase in nox emissions. That could happen if there is an excess buildup of carbon inside your cylinders from years of use. Also running too hot could do it. Did the smog tech warm up the cat before the test?

Monooxide
01-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Can people not search that well or what?

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/299393-help-no-levels-way-high-smog-i-need-pass.html

If you had searched "no levels high" or "smog levels high" or "high nox levels". Basically an identical thread.

Anyhow, I hope you get it taken care of.

singlecamslam
01-20-2010, 05:50 PM
I obviously read that thread because i even posted in there. i checked all the vacums back there and replaced one of the bad valves and my nox went way down from 2450 to 920, all i need is that extra 150 which i hope a cat will fix that even though it has a limited amount of influence on NOx but it does do something.

singlecamslam
01-20-2010, 11:40 PM
I just got done replacing the entire exhaust to my friends with a brand new cat, i noticed an exhaust leak right where the headers meet the downpipe, its not a big leak, but its noticeble when you give it a womp, will this effect NOx?

DJ PoW
01-21-2010, 04:46 AM
id probably take care of that leak asap!

ericcastro
01-21-2010, 05:18 PM
your doing what i did over 3 years ago.
I spent about $600 before i said fuck it,and asked around.
paid under $200 to have it pass.

I replaced every fucking thing AND the engine was rebuilt a couple months before.
so i gave up on that doing it by the numbers thing, and just got it done the old fashion way.

Shadowhunter
01-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Seafoam has been known to help pass smog with flying colors.

singlecamslam
01-21-2010, 11:08 PM
your doing what i did over 3 years ago.
I spent about $600 before i said fuck it,and asked around.
paid under $200 to have it pass.

I replaced every fucking thing AND the engine was rebuilt a couple months before.
so i gave up on that doing it by the numbers thing, and just got it done the old fashion way.

Damn dude i'm starting down that road already, feels like shit. I spent so much time replacing shit and got so damn close. I'm getting pretty tired of going back to smog, its freaking 50 damn bucks because i need a certificate which is californias way of sucking more money from us. I might try that seafoam, but i dont really trust it. Its just my fucking NOx, which could be from any number of things down to the CAT to the a damn exhaust leak.

S13Disco
01-21-2010, 11:24 PM
did u check the ports on the intake?...the ones blocked off by an Allen plug....remove intake plugs and clean out the ports really really good....

hexdmy
01-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Hi NOx is a result of hi combustion temps, the EGR is there to lower combustion temps. Hi NOx can also be caused by leaner than normal mixtures, and overly advanced timing. Hi HC , assuming the engine and catalytic converter is sound, is usually caused by a lean mixture, but overly advanced timing can have the same affect. I used to work as a smog tech at a "gold shield" smog repair facility, and had to deal with these problems all the time. If you are still stuck, PM me and I will see if there is something I can do to help you.

- Chris

DC Performance: Proven Performance (http://www.dcperformance.com)