PDA

View Full Version : Possible problems w/Z32 front brake upgrade

95se
06-06-2003, 02:48 PM
Ok, I have heard about two problems with the z32 brake upgrade: possible rear lockup and increased pedal travel. I am not too concerned about the inc in pedal travel but I am with rear lockup. Is this a serious problem and do the advantages of the z32 upgrade outweight the disadvantages? Reason I ask is that I'm planning to do the Z32 upgrade (fronts only) this weekend. Here's exactly what i plan to upgrade to: Fronts: 30mm aluminum calipers w/heavy throttle dimpled drilled/slotted rotors, axxis metal master pads and z32 ss conversion lines; Rear: stock calipers/rotors, axxis metal master pads and stock ss lines. I do plan on bleeding all the lines. I have a '95 SE with ABS/VLSD and stock master cylinder.

Thanks

Yoshi
06-06-2003, 03:32 PM
u should add potential wheel fitment issues, and suspension clearance to your list as well.

AKADriver
06-06-2003, 05:26 PM
rear lockup? wha?

Euro and JDM S14s had 30mm "Z32" front calipers and the same rear calipers as the US S14, with a 15/16" (non-ABS) or 1" (w/ABS) master cylinder incorporating a prop valve with the same split point as the US 7/8" or 15/16" master cylinder.

considering you have an ABS 240SX with the bigger 15/16" MC... the upgrade you propose will be close to a factory setup. The SS lines should take up any pedal softness introduced by the slightly smaller MC.

95se
06-06-2003, 06:39 PM
So it is something i shouldn't worry about? You think i'll like this setup a lot more than stock? I have everything i need to do the swap but i need to get the speedbleeders. Do autopart places usually carry these?

theronin
06-07-2003, 01:40 AM
Ive never heard of possible rear lockup.... front maybe, but never rear! Get a bigger master cylinder too! The MC will take care of that pesky mushy brake pedal!

THX1138
06-09-2003, 04:16 PM
The only time I've heard of rear lockup being a problem, IIRC, is if you switch to Z32 brakes on all four wheels, but don't change to the Z master cylinder. Or maybe it was swapping just the front brakes and using the Z MC. Whichever one it is, you wind up with the brake bias set too much rearward and can have lockup issues.

theronin
06-09-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by THX1138
The only time I've heard of rear lockup being a problem, IIRC, is if you switch to Z32 brakes on all four wheels, but don't change to the Z master cylinder. Or maybe it was swapping just the front brakes and using the Z MC. Whichever one it is, you wind up with the brake bias set too much rearward and can have lockup issues.

That is total and utter crap... there is such a minute level of difference in the biases of the 2 mc's that this would never be an issue... who started this falacy i would love to meet them!:hammer: