PDA

View Full Version : ROLLCAGING my s14

RacerTrue
06-06-2003, 11:28 AM
hello, i want to put a rollcage in my car, what would be the best way to go about doing this?? Who makes rollcages for the s14?? (i am in bay area, CA if that helps)how much are they usually? and what is better/differences between bolt in and welded!

thanks!!

AKADriver
06-07-2003, 04:28 PM
Dunno about off the shelf. Race car chassis fabricators can do it for any car.

If you get a custom cage made, it'll be welded in. Bolt-in cages are just that... you can install one in your driveway with a drill and hand tools.

nokeone
06-08-2003, 04:49 PM
there is a place in Sacramento that will do complete custom roll cages in any specifications you ask for...they are VERY reasonably priced as well..like $350 for a NHRA, SCCA, etc approved 6 point set up..only draw back is you have to weld it in yourself..

let me know if you are interested and i'll hook ya up..:)

RacerTrue
06-09-2003, 11:41 AM
so whats the name of this place??
and what are the differences between being NHRA and SCCA approved??
NHRA is for drag, and i supose the SCCA is better since it will be approved for auto x,etc am i right??

now, if i get a roll cage from them, it will have to be welded and not bolted??

RBS14
06-09-2003, 09:00 PM
I actually had that place in Sacramento custom make me one for my S14. I decided not to put it in, so i am selling it. Yes it is a weld in cage. I had them make it so it would fit with all the interior. The only cutting you would have to do is to the dash. I had it made so it would go through the air vents by the outsides of your dash by the doors. It is actually 8pt. Includes hoop, door bars, rear sturt braces, driveshaft hump braces, a pillar braces that go to floor and windshield brace. Tubing is SCCA approved and mandrel bent. The cage is SCCA approved when mig or tig welded. I forget the name of the place. I'm trying to get what i paid out of it, $275.

-Scott

RacerTrue
06-10-2003, 01:18 PM
well email me the specifics and we can talk about it.

[email protected]

before i make any offers i want to maybe check it out, the only thing is i am from union city/hayward area.

so how much does it weigh??

what do u mean mig or tig weldd?

and what guarantees do i have that it is SCCA approved?

RBS14
06-10-2003, 03:08 PM
MIG an TIG welding are just common types of welding. The SCCA and NHRA mandate that any cage be mig or tig welded and that the tubing meets diameter and thickness specifications. The tubing my cage is made of exceeds those specifications. Fully installed the cage will weigh somewhere around 100lbs. It is mild steel instead of cromoly which is twice the weight. Mild steel is what most cages are made of except for funny cars and the sort.

-Scott

nokeone
06-24-2003, 07:57 PM
have you heard of PIG welding?..i know alot of people use this type to make custom "show" roll cages...

just wondering as to the strength..

:)