PDA

View Full Version : remedial maf question

g6civcx
01-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Simple question.

The car idles strangely and bucks and dies. Unplug the MAF and it idles somewhat okay. Plug in the MAF and the idle goes straight to 2-3000 RPM and then dies.

I have not done the MAF voltage check yet but will do it as soon as the weather clears up.

Om1kron
01-17-2010, 03:36 PM
bad maf... i have the same problem, even if you're not getting black death smoke. it's working at 20 percent.

g6civcx
01-17-2010, 04:36 PM
There is black smoke out the tailpipe. The car ran ok last Thanksgiving so he doesn't believe that the MAF is bad. He doesn't believe me that MAFs go bad all the time, especially with all the bad weather we had.

rb25s13vert
01-17-2010, 09:22 PM
you could try maf cleaner but its probably no good...

codyace
01-17-2010, 11:01 PM
bad maf... i have the same problem, even if you're not getting black death smoke. it's working at 20 percent.

my lil grasshopper, with the headline news

Om1kron
01-18-2010, 01:46 AM
my lil grasshopper, with the headline news

seriously, I have a maf on my car with a crack, no black deathsmoke... but it wont go past 4 grand without backfiring and it smeeels of gasoline in my garage.

if it shoots to 2 grand for your idle then bam it's bad, it may let the car idle normally now and then but dude it's bad trust.

g6civcx
01-18-2010, 07:23 AM
seriously, I have a maf on my car with a crack, no black deathsmoke... but it wont go past 4 grand without backfiring and it smeeels of gasoline in my garage.

if it shoots to 2 grand for your idle then bam it's bad, it may let the car idle normally now and then but dude it's bad trust.

I will do the voltage check today and see if it's really the MAF.

codyace
01-18-2010, 01:08 PM

Yea man, that little element can be a mofugga...that's why I said that before...they are so simple, yet any difference can fubar them. Heck on mustangs, even spinning them radially on an intake can make them run odd!

smelly240
01-18-2010, 01:43 PM
more likely is that the wiring is the issue... Not that the mafs dont go bad - but when u dont have the stock airbox keeping the maf in a fixed place (plus the engine and harness always moving) - the wires tend to break

g6civcx
01-18-2010, 02:36 PM
more likely is that the wiring is the issue... Not that the mafs dont go bad - but when u dont have the stock airbox keeping the maf in a fixed place (plus the engine and harness always moving) - the wires tend to break

Also a possibility. I checked the pigtail and wired it up myself, but you never know.

I don't like how the filter just flops around.

AKADriver
01-19-2010, 02:57 PM
You should add that we checked the TPS and idle air controller on this car and it was fine. We also checked for vacuum leaks. I agree that it's the MAF or the MAF harness, though I saw no breaks in the harness.

g6civcx
01-20-2010, 06:07 AM
Swapped MAF with a known good and it's still the same.

I think it's the wiring or the ECU at this point.

steve shadows
01-21-2010, 12:52 AM
sounds like the wiring to the maf

g6civcx
01-23-2010, 06:55 PM
I checked every single sensor for voltage and everything looks like it's ok. I finally gave up and decided to pull the harness.

When pulling the harness out, I noticed that the #4 fuel injector wire was shorted to ground.

The #4 cylinder is pretty much flooded with fuel all the time. Eery time the spark plug fires there's a ton of fuel in the #4 cylinder. That would make the car rev up high and eventually stall when the ECU registers a misfire.

When it doesn't rev high it would buckle because the #4 injector is causing a misfire.

When I unplugged the MAF, the ECU only fires #1 and #2 cylinders. It can idle with the MAF unplugged forever without stalling.

When I plugged the MAF back in it would rev up high because the #4 cylinder is pretty much flooded. Then it would die after that.

Trying to keep the engine running with the throttle makes the car run really rich since #4 is pretty much dumping fuel

Let me know if I'm crazy.