PDA

View Full Version : welded diff howl

word sux
01-17-2010, 11:08 AM
Never had a welded diff before and man does this thing howl! does anyone know if theres any way to fix it? or do all welded diffs do this? its driving me mad!

any help is much appreciated

Team DET
01-17-2010, 11:13 AM
u talking about chirping while you turn or what

word sux
01-17-2010, 11:19 AM
no, it fuckin howls while driving. coasting it dosn't make much noise but when your on the gas you can't hear yourself think

S14DB
01-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Did you remove the center section when you welded the spiders? May have not put the shims in correctly.

word sux
01-17-2010, 11:51 AM
i didn't do it >_< just got the car

i was thinking it could also be the ring gear

S14DB
01-17-2010, 12:20 PM
i didn't do it >_< just got the car

i was thinking it could also be the ring gear

It probably is the ring gear howling cause the center section isn't shimmed correctly and the ring gear isn't meshing with the pinion correctly.

Master Chief
01-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Meaby its your gearbox whining, not the diff.
Try cruising in 4th gear, and see if it still makes the noise - if not, then its you box.

Def
01-17-2010, 01:11 PM
no, it fuckin howls while driving. coasting it dosn't make much noise but when your on the gas you can't hear yourself think

The diff is setup wrong(shims). Had a shop completely F up a 4.36 R&P install for me and it sounded almost like a powerdrill under power, and made a mild whining when coasting.

boost
01-17-2010, 01:44 PM
i had a rearend only shop install a 4.3 r&p and i have slight howling also. also clunks on accel and decel *sigh* the guy said he had a real hard time getting the mesh right. no warranty ofcourse. anyone know of any reputable shops besides rear end specialties in the norcal bay area? i don't know if i want to bring it back to them since they didn't seem to confident.

Def
01-17-2010, 02:34 PM
i had a rearend only shop install a 4.3 r&p and i have slight howling also. also clunks on accel and decel *sigh* the guy said he had a real hard time getting the mesh right. no warranty ofcourse. anyone know of any reputable shops besides rear end specialties in the norcal bay area? i don't know if i want to bring it back to them since they didn't seem to confident.

I'm still shocked with how stupid most shops are when it comes to setting up a diff. It's outlined in the FSM, and the same for EVERY rear drive diff. I had BATLGround in Atlanta talk about how it was no problem, this and that... They didn't even get ANYTHING close to right when they set it up, then they admitted they had spent "a lot of hours on it," so they couldn't give me a refund - full or partial. I took it apart and told them the bearing preload was low, backlash about double the FSM max, and the tooth engagement was heel heavy. They didn't really know what most of that meant, nor did they know how to fix it.

I think you'll find that's the norm rather than the exception at most shops. They just don't seem to understand basics in gearing setup, even though it really isn't that complex.

negrosx13
01-17-2010, 07:52 PM
In that case would've been better to DIY then,i think that as long as you got all the parts you need,FSM and some tips from forum surfing. Then you should be good,just my opinion..lol

ATLspeed
01-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Its the center ring gear. Replace that and your good to go. Mine whined like I had a supercharger spinning at 3455k rpm lol. I replaced the ring gear because it was worn, I had a spare one laying around and swapped it, put everythinh back on the car and its no lnger whining

DRIFTER-M
01-17-2010, 11:24 PM

Does Luke Lonberger still do diff stuff? He made awesome welded diffs, I think he is still active on here. Maybe contact him...

To the O.P.:

As I am sure you have realized by now, no - that noise is not normal.
I have not had a welded diff in a while, but I definitely do not remember any such issue.

Only loud noise it should make is that of which your tires slipping when you turn. Nothing else I remember being very loud.

homermartinez1
01-17-2010, 11:33 PM
get an lsd

Adrian_180
01-17-2010, 11:47 PM
My old welded was fine that howled after the welds broke and I blew a hole in the cap. The one I have now howls but other that that its fine.

hotlavaflow
01-18-2010, 12:00 AM
no howling from my welded did it myself

s13jeremy
01-19-2010, 06:20 AM
yeah my brother's does the same thing

!Zar!
01-19-2010, 10:41 AM
The reason it is howling is probably because the diff was taken out of the pumpkin, welded, then placed back in. The problem with that is you need to check backlash.

Failure to have proper backlash will result in increased diff noise as well as decreased diff life. Not to mention if it is too tight it stresses the rest of your drivetran.

redline racer510
01-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Yea, I still believe luke lonberger still modifies diffs. I spoke to one of his ex coworkers and I believe he still does, he does very good work BTW

rb25_s13*CHUKI
01-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Mine howled. It sounded like a super charger. Still howls actually. pretty loud

clark
01-21-2010, 10:55 AM
i'll chiem in. i've also had a shop professionaly install an S15 helical and they totally fucked up the backlash and i think pinion bearing preload.

DRIFTER-M
01-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Yea, I still believe luke lonberger still modifies diffs. I spoke to one of his ex coworkers and I believe he still does, he does very good work BTW

+1,

If you can't afford a Limited Slip and have to do welded, he is one of the few people to trust. Dude knows his stuff well.

His SN on here is blu808 if I recall. Contact him if you need welded diff service.

Awesome dude!

!Zar!
01-22-2010, 02:04 PM
A diff should not howl at all when driving. That indicates bad backlash.