PDA

View Full Version : Running 740's with no tune

idamaster
01-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Would there be any benefit/down side to running tomei 740's on a stock sr with a few bolt-on's.

jspaeth
01-17-2010, 11:04 AM
Would there be any benefit/down side to running tomei 740's on a stock sr with a few bolt-on's.

Yes. It wouldn't run worth a shit. You would literally be injecting twice as much fuel at any given time as compared to what is supposed to be injected.

Unless you have a standalone where you can apply a correction for the larger injectors or go somewhere for a re-tune, do not do this.

idamaster
01-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Okay, sounds good.

jspaeth
01-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Why do you ask?...

idamaster
01-17-2010, 08:40 PM
This guy locally is selling a set and I was wondering if there would be any gain if I swapped them out.

AznXstazy
01-17-2010, 09:29 PM
unless your getting them for a good price then there's not benefit in getting them unless you were going bigger turbo.

idamaster
01-17-2010, 09:47 PM
I want to go with a bigger turbo, he has a full setup besides a tune. Which I can get enthalpy for like 400 bucks. But I do not have a job right now due to school and soccer. Soccer is the main reason though, taking up all of my other time outside of school. Ill see what I can do though.

brndck
01-17-2010, 09:59 PM
if you can afford to get them, do it. but do not install them until you have a good method of controlling them (NOT a safc, more like a power fc or at least enthalpy or nistune).
they will still be way way WAY overkill on a stock setup.

S13 curtis
01-17-2010, 10:05 PM
your car wont idle if its not tuned. i turned my car over when i first got the 740cc to get it tuned and it wouldnt idle for shit. had to tune it with the car off to get it to idle then turned it on. def not good on a stock set up unless you have it tuned to controll the injector.

idamaster
01-17-2010, 10:06 PM
I can afford one thing, be it the injectors, the turbo... etc. Im trying to see If I can get a quick job working on someones car. Quick money. All I need is about 1200 bucks on top of what I already have and I can afford his whole setup and a tune.

boske
01-17-2010, 10:06 PM
740cc is a good size injector for future upgrades, you will need a tune for any injector change.

MADE
01-17-2010, 10:37 PM
I ran 740 with a correction on my PFC. With the money you spend in gas you can get Steve Shadow, Garage Boso and anyone else who charges around 500 bucks to tune your car. Without tuning I dont see the benefit.

steve shadows
01-17-2010, 11:22 PM
Yes. It wouldn't run worth a shit. You would literally be injecting twice as much fuel at any given time as compared to what is supposed to be injected.

Unless you have a standalone where you can apply a correction for the larger injectors or go somewhere for a re-tune, do not do this.

sorry I just read that it made me crack up.

Buy a PFC, or even used one, and grab a base map to get started at the very least if not from me at least take it to tune for an hour or two and be done with it

Look....

If you want to upgrade your fuel injectors and you don't have a reprogrammable ECU or a way of controlling them properly, don't just shelve them and wait until you can pick up a Power FC, or other ems/ computer to control them. Raining down too much fuel will kill your oil, it will kill your bearings and bathe your engine in corrosive gasoline. You want a consistent smooth burn through of your fuel in the combustion chamber to help the motor last long, run well and not torture your internals. I would buy if they are in great shape and just shelve them until you upgrade your cams or turbo and need the extra fuel and are ready for an EMS.

Otherwise you only add fuel injector capacity as needed imo. You don' need a higher ceiling in your house until your trying to fit a larger christmas tree. Christmas tree in this analogy we can pretend as a higher volume of air , or a larger turbo etc. If you don't need it, it's just going to be ridiculous waste of money or you won't have the driveability you want unless you spend more on tuning and ems to properly control

jspaeth
01-18-2010, 11:28 AM
sorry I just read that it made me crack up.

At least tell me what I said that was wrong if you are gonna laugh at me Steve!